Thread: First Aid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Aid

Does anyone keep up on first aid certification by taking first aid/cpr/aed classes while on the road? has their ever been basic first aid classes at a rally? Also, how extensive of a first aid kit do you carry? a basic first aid kit or a full trauma bag like I do.

Just a rare thought I had.

Ted
    2017 Solitude 384GK
    2012 F350 Lariat
    Pullrite Superglide 18K

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This same discussion was just recently on RV Net.

We have a fairly large first aid kit.

We don't have an AED. We are trained.
    We haven't taken a class in 2 or 3 years, but we do know the newest CPR is compression's only.

If you have a favorite camp ground, do you know how close the Fire Department is to the campground?
    Do you know where the AED (automated external defibrillator) is located?

Be Safe, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DW and I became ALS certified almost two years ago when we were volunteering for a first responder group in our community. Due to some health issues, I had to discontinue the work. We do have a descent amount of supplies we purchased though that should get us though most circumstances. An AED is something we plan on purchasing...hopefully before it’s needed.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    DW and I became ALS certified almost two years ago when we were volunteering for a first responder group in our community. Due to some health issues, I had to discontinue the work. We do have a descent amount of supplies we purchased though that should get us though most circumstances. An AED is something we plan on purchasing...hopefully before it’s needed.
    I'm a Paramedic/Firefighter with numerous certifications thanks to work. I also carry a nicely equipped FAK that I've only (fortunately) used Band-Aids out of.

If your considering buying an AED my hats off to you. Not many people would spend that kind of money on one. I do keep tabs on where the fire stations are located, but EMS units are kinda hard to know as they often times aren't stationed like fire houses, and normally aren't as many of them either. Most of our COE parks around here keep an AED at the check in post. But I often wonder how they are kept up and if they even know how to use them as most are volunteers. I'm sure the rangers probably do, but due to budget cuts they are often split between patrolling multiple locations.

Y'all have my curiosity up now! Lol
    2015 Ram SRW 3500 4x4 Cummins
    B&W Patriot 16K
    2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Scott & Jennifer
    Newnan GA

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greene728 View Post

Y'all have my curiosity up now! Lol
    Food for thought. A band-aid or stopping the bleeding is easy. How far away is real help?

Hopefully less then 5 minutes. KEN

There is a 5 minute survival window for a victim of sudden cardiac arrest with the survival depending upon early CPR and having access to an AED within that 5 minute timeframe. Sudden Cardiac Arrest is a sudden cessation of cardiac mechanical activity that causes the victim to stop breathing and have no pulse. Annually, almost 400,000 people experience out of hospital cardiac arrest and 9 out of 10 of these victims die. This is more than the number of people who die from AIDS, Alzheimers Disease, breast, prostate and colon cancer, fires, and motor vehicle accidents combined. When bystanders intervene by giving CPR and using AEDs before EMS arrives, 38% survive.

The “Chain of Survival” steps must all occur within 5 minutes:
    1.Early Access to get help: Call 911
    2.Early CPR to buy time: Begin CPR Compressions Immediately
    3.Early Defibrillation to restart heart: Use AED as soon as possible on victim
    4.Early ACLS to stabilize: Ambulance arrival time
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering the amount of time you have to fetch an AED (each minute counts), even if you know where it is in a campground setting it really seems to me you need to have one yourself. Shop carefully for a used refurbished model if you can find one and save about half the cost I think. Just make sure it has been recertified and has new pads and batteries.
    Heartfelt best wishes (heh)!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the topic of how well the AEDs in various locations you might visit are kept up, for me it begs the question again, "Should l have an AED of my own?" A person who is at risk and may need an AED in an emergency needs to know it will be available immediately and is sure to work, so why not buy your own? Whatever your situation is, If you decide the answer to the question of keeping one in your own FAK is “yes” , you should realize that unlike bandaids, AEDs need to be maintained. You don't just buy one and stick it in your box or bag.

Just so we're all on the same page, an automated external defibrillator (AED) is a device used to provide lifesaving care in the case of sudden cardiac arrest. Properly maintaining an AED is essential to ensure that it can be relied upon in an emergency situation.

To ensure optimal performance, it's important to check your AED on a regular basis. Most manufacturers recommend monthly visual inspections, but you should always check the AED user manual for specific instructions. The most important part of an inspection is to check the indicator lights and buttons to make sure the batteries are fresh and the machine is functioning properly.

In addition to regular inspections, pads and batteries should be replaced every two years for optimal performance. Replacement pads and batteries can often be purchased directly from the manufacturer or through authorized dealers. When replacing pads and batteries, make sure to check your AED user manual for specific instructions on how to safely remove and replace them.
    For more information about taking care of your personal AED, you can use your owner's manual, or check online to find a general maintenance guide.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the topic of how well the AEDs in various locations you might visit are kept up, for me it begs the question again, "Should l have an AED of my own?" A person who is at risk and may need an AED in an emergency needs to know it will be available immediately and is sure to work, so why not buy your own? Whatever your situation is, If you decide the answer to the question of keeping one in your own FAK is “yes” , you should realize that unlike bandaids, AEDs need to be maintained. You don't just buy one and stick it in your box or bag.

Just so we're all on the same page, an automated external defibrillator (AED) is a device used to provide lifesaving care in the case of sudden cardiac arrest. Properly maintaining an AED is essential to ensure that it can be relied upon in an emergency situation.

To ensure optimal performance, it's important to check your AED on a regular basis. Most manufacturers recommend monthly visual inspections, but you should always check the AED user manual for specific instructions. The most important part of an inspection is to check the indicator lights and buttons to make sure the batteries are fresh and the machine is functioning properly.

In addition to regular inspections, pads and batteries should be replaced every two years for optimal performance. Replacement pads and batteries can often be purchased directly from the manufacturer or through authorized dealers. When replacing pads and batteries, make sure to check your AED user manual for specific instructions on how to safely remove and replace them.
    For more information about taking care of your personal AED, you can use your owner's manual, or check online to find a general maintenance guide.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a retired firefighter/paramedic and keep a decent first aid kit as well. I just renewed my paramedic lic with CE's I had in the bank from my last recert classes while still working. I've thought about how to maintain my license after this and am resigned to having to let it go. Where I retired from, Trenton Mich FD, always holds the recert classes in Jan or Feb and we've become snowbirds to Florida every winter. Further, I know my skills have declined regarding drugs, IV starts, intubation. Basic skills like trauma and CPR I don't think you can unlearn. We recently drove by a pretty serious car accident and I found myself mentally critiqueing what I observed; ie, the engine properly parked to protect the scene, firefighter in the back seat holding traction, trauma bag open and misc debris indicating 4x4's, Kling, etc., a KED staged for use.
    Back to what tedzz9 asked, it might be a good idea for a Rally topic to be basic first aid and CPR. Maybe an IC could volunteer to come up with a 1/2 session, or a contact from the Goshen FD would visit with an AED.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my former employers had an internal first responder group, and as a part of that I was able to get and maintain first-aid, CPR, AED, BLS/Airway certifications over several years. My current employer doesn't. I still have a really nice kit I got from Galls, and I still keep it refreshed as needed. I'd love to keep an AED in the truck, and we have plans to add one in the next couple of years, especially as some of the places we go are WAY out in the middle of no-where (no cell service, no EMS within 100 miles or more).

There is almost always an ARC office somewhere nearby where you can find and take classes. I highly recommend them. When time permits, I plan on re-certifying.

I do have an Extra-class ham radio license, and with the gear I have I can communicate locally either direct or via repeaters (many of which include telephone autopatch to get to 911) and all the way around the world. I have participated with local emergency communications groups and SAR groups, and through them have training and experience guiding in life-flight and others.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast