User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was hauling cement powder from Mojave to Stockton, we'd mostly use the 99. All I can say is the driver's through Fresno are nuts! They'd come down the on ramp and instead of adjusting the speed faster or slower to merge, they'd just stop on the ramp! My preference is definitely the 5 over the 99. As Jim said, fewer cities to pass through. Well, and there's Harris Ranch you can stop at for some good eats.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We traveled 99 this past June on our way to South Carolina. It was by far the worst road we traveled during our 8000 mile cross country trip. I think that is where our spring hanger parted ways with the frame. We'll be going to SoCal in a month and will try 5 this time.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    We traveled 99 this past June on our way to South Carolina. It was by far the worst road we traveled during our 8000 mile cross country trip. I think that is where our spring hanger parted ways with the frame. We'll be going to SoCal in a month and will try 5 this time.
    Thank you Jim,

I think you are the one I remember as having major mechanical issues there!!
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    Although not on the route you want to take, but if it is ever an option, if you like your teeth, then avoid the 101 through the valley. If you've ever wondered what it was like to do bull riding, then take the 101 through the valley.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Although not on the route you want to take, but if it is ever an option, if you like your teeth, then avoid the 101 through the valley. If you've ever wondered what it was like to do bull riding, then take the 101 through the valley.
    Thanks Curtis, still laughing about the white finishes in the other post!! (Your comments about the white finishes, not the actual finish. Somebody liked it so to each his own).

Yes I have done some of that route......and will likely be doing it again.
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Travel both quite frequently. Improvements have been made on both, but there are still bad sections on both. I prefer 99 due to the availability of exits and services.
    Matt & Dana , Kasey the Australian Cattle Dog
    2018 303rls
    2012 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

Since I started this thread, I thought I should close it out and respond. Just got back from a great (and very wet) week at Pismo Beach, "Pismo Coast Resort". All of your responses were spot on regarding the highway conditions. In summary, both were ok in many areas, some very bad. #5 still has many potholes in areas and parts of #99 are new and butter smooth! Others, not so much, like through Modesto, I believe. We did Southbound 5 and Northbound 99, basically Stockton down to Fresno. I did confirm that drivers in Fresno cannot merge onto the freeway. I also managed to roll over some type of wooden cargo trailer rear gate or something with hinges on it full on. It took up the entire width of the center lane in the rain, no where to switch due to traffic and no time to divert. I was hoping for no nails or screws and was checking my tpms on truck and trailer for the next 30 minutes or so. The Westlakes held and holding air at home. Will check later this week after rain stops! This is not an endorsement of Westlakes, just saying it happened! Don't want to start another thread.

We stopped at "Coalinga Sommerville Almond RV" and also "The Lakes RV Golf Resort" in Chowchilla, just for fun as well. In case anybody wants info. For those that know the area, locals there asked me why did you stop here? Pismo was nice and the state park, North Beach Campground became closed due to flooding from the storm, and they kicked everybody out. We were going to go there when we planned this trip (last year). I guess we made the right call. It was said that there were 30,000 on mandatory evac. from the Santa Barbara region to the South due to storm and mudslides from previous fire season. Did not hear back about too many slides or problems.

Thanks again for advice.
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12