Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow Vehicle - 2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.2 v8 Question

Shopping used tv and came across this rig all equipped to pull trailer. Have never had a Ford before, any issues with this engine and rig that to be aware of? It has crew cab 4x4 6 speed auto with 3.73 rear end and 10000 gvwr package.

Will be pulling my new Imagine 2600rb
    2018 2600rb
    2015 Ford F-250 crew cab 4x4
    Lyons, Oregon

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purely anecdotal, but I'll share a story with you. I spotted a Ford F-250 towing an Imagine 2600RB that was headed towards a local campground. Later that week my wife and I decided to see if we could find the trailer. We were actively shopping for a GD TT so we wanted to talk with the owner(s). Sure enough, they were outside of their trailer and were very friendly. We ended up talking more about our trucks than the RV! The gentleman looked at my Ford F-250 w/6.7 diesel and let out a big sigh. He told me he'd originally had a F-150 and quickly realized it wasn't enough truck for their TT. He then bought his F-250 w/the 6.2 gas engine. He complained about the gas mileage (~8 mpg when towing) and (his words) lack of "uumph" while towing. He then commented that he should have "just bit the bullet" and purchased a diesel the first time since he and his wife were on the road so much.

It wasn't a great day when I wrote the check for my new truck, but I'm positive I'll be happy with it when I'm pulling my future trailer up I-70 as I head out of Denver headed west...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2012 F350 CC 6.2 with 4.30 rear end and I pull a Reflection 26RL. I get 8 mpg towing and about 14 mpg non-towing. Its a good tow vehicle for the type of towing I do. Yes, a diesel will pull it better but I just could not justify the added expense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimbuck I see you are in Oregon. I live in the Seattle area and used to own a gas dually to pull my 5th Wheel. I pulled great and since it was paid for was even better. It screamed when pulling any type of hill or mountain and I was lucky to get 6 or 7 mpg. A year ago I ran across my current diesel and couldn't pass up the deal. The difference is amazing and I would never go back to a gasser. I pulled my trailer all over the Northeast section of Washington this last summer and couldn't believe the difference in trucks. Got about 11 mpg and at times didn't even notice the trailer. It's your money and pick what suits you better, but if I was buying I'd go for the diesel. I have never heard of anyone complaining about too much truck. Good Luck
    Arnold Warnes
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
    2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While our tow is bigger and heavier (14,000 lbs.), and I love my diesel (have had two)... you can buy a LOT of gas for $7,000. If you're not full-time or negotiating the Rockies, Sierras, The Grapevine, Eastern Tennessee, etc., on a regular basis, a 6.2 F250 will pull your TT just fine. You would get a bit more payload and better gas mileage without the 4x4, although RWD HD/SD trucks are a little harder to come by.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far have not seen any used diesel trucks on the lots. Drove one for many years as a lineman and appreciate their ability. Problem is we are on the beginning side of 70 so don’t expect a bunch of years ahead and have had to cut down a bit on my off road trips. If I come across one will jump at chance but keeping in mind the cost difference will by lots of gas. The 4x4 is a must for me can’t go much above $45k. Keeping my Tacoma for the serious off road stuff
    2018 2600rb
    Lyons, Oregon

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my '16 F250 CCSB with 6.2L. It pulled my previous 11,400 # fiver just fine, but is maxed out with my current 13,995 # fiver so I'm looking for a diesel F350.

The gas engine is a beast, but it doesn't have the low end stump pulling power of a diesel - it makes its power at a much higher rpm. Don't get excited if it is running 4,000 rpm in 3d gear - its loud, but that's the way it is designed to run.

The worst thing I can say is that it can't pass up a gas station, but mileage should be a little better with a TT with a smaller front end.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far have not seen any used diesel trucks on the lots. Drove one for many years as a lineman and appreciate their ability. Problem is we are on the beginning side of 70 so don’t expect a bunch of years ahead and have had to cut down a bit on my off road trips. If I come across one will jump at chance but keeping in mind the cost difference will by lots of gas. The 4x4 is a must for me can’t go much above $45k. Keeping my Tacoma for the serious off road stuff
    2018 2600rb
    Lyons, Oregon

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would look for a Super Crew 6'5" bed with Max Tow 3.5 EB. The newer ones have plenty of payload for that TT. The SC with 6.5 bed has a 156.8" wheel base. You'll get way better mpg when not towing and have a better pulling truck for the mtns of Oregon.
    https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...de1=F150PICKUP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m with goducks14 on this one. A properly equipped Ecoboost would be a great match for that trailer. Find one with the Max Payload package, or maybe even add airbags and have a good towing machine while also being a great DD.

Now with that said, the truck your looking at will man handle your rig. Obviously a diesel would be better and that’s obvious. It just depends on whether or not the premium price for the diesel is worth it to you or not. And as far as reliability goes, the Ford 6.2 is honestly at the top of the heap in the gas HD trucks IMO. Very reliable and stout engine that doesn’t break the bank on maintenance or repairs.
    2015 Ram SRW 3500 4x4 Cummins
    B&W Patriot 16K
    2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Scott & Jennifer
    Newnan GA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast