Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheel off the ground

We are new to rving. We have purchased a 337RLS. We have only used the RV three times.

The first time was on our way home after picking up the RV. When we leveled the unit a tire came up off the ground. I was not comfortable with that and checked the manual, it should not be off the ground. We found that we had dropped the front landing jacks to much before removing the trailer from the truck. We put the trailer back on the truck, lowered the front jacks to about six inches off the ground and did the leveling. That worked great.

Second time we went to a campground near home and had no problems.

Our third trip has me puzzled. We lowered the front jacks the same as the trip but one of the rear tires came off the ground about 2 inches. Not satisfied we trip went through the process of putting the trailer back on the truck, shorting the front legs more each time, three times and never got that tire on the ground.

My theory is that I should first check the level of the trailer and semi-level it with blocks under the low side before using the auto-leveling.

Am I on the right track?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest issue that I have experienced is with side to side leveling. If you read the manual it talks about the amount of side to side in degrees that will register in your auto level LCD screen. It will recommend that you be level side to side within a specified amount, ( sorry I do not remember what that is off the top of my head). The first time I tried using the auto level feature on my 307MKS I did not follow that recommendation and the trailer was to much out of level side to side and the low side tires were off the ground. I now use the Anderson level blocks which provide for a variety of height adjustment based on where you stop on the wedge. I also use blocks under each leveling pad in order to provide a wider base hard platform for the feet to sit on. Once I have the trailer within the recommended degree of level I start the auto level process and the system take a very short time to set the level and I am done. I hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the wheels off the ground on my 376 on a couple of occasions. While it is quite disconcerting I haven't found any specific problems with it. The one downside I see is the RV is slightly less stable.

Our old 5th wheel did not have a level up system. As a result the side to side leveling had to accomplished with blocks, wood, plastic, bricks, paving pads, lots of options. We did that. I have found that with my new 376 the level up system has a pretty wide range, but it has it's limitations also. If the side to side angle is too great it doesn't work well. I have placed pads under the footings of the downhill side. That helped, but the wheel came off the ground.

The other factor you need to look at is how long are you going to stay there. I would work less hard for a quick overnight stay. I would take great lengths to set up properly for a 4 month stay.

But the real deciding factor is your own common sense. If it looks sketchy to you it is, take the time to add blocks.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I bought a camper with auto level is I was tired of carrying blocks, wood pieces and leveling pieces. I regularly have a tire or two off the ground with no problems. They would not design it that way if it would cause an issue.
    2007 Volvo 780 VNL Trailersaver Hitch
    2017 Momentum 397th
    2015 Polaris RZR 900S Voodoo Blue
    2017 Polaris RZR S1000 Matte Black
    2019 Polaris RZR S1000 Titanium Matte
    3 Yamaha Banshee's 2-Honda 400 EX's
    Honda 250EX 2016 Polaris Outlaw 110 EFI

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If my auto-level thinks a tire should be off the ground, I will lift it a tad more and put a leveling pad under the tire. Lower every thing a bit and then push auto-level again. That way there is a bit of support under the tire.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your response.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged