Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fort DeSoto (St.Pete) to St. George Island

Hi All. Hope all Grand Design travelers had a great holiday !!

We will be traveling from Ft. DeSoto (St.Pete) to St. George Island in late January. Most direct route is US 98 along the Gulf of Mexico. Is this the best route while towing our Reflections 29RS ??

Thanks in advance. A great Forum.

Scooter

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure US 98 is the fastest route but it certainly is the prettiest. You will go through a number of little towns that haven't changed much at all over the past 50 years. We are particularly fond of the state park on St. George. You'll actually start out on US 19 in St. Pete and US 98 joins it around Homosasa. US 98 splits from US 19 in Perry. When in that area we often take time to drive to the end of St. Marks US Wildlife area. It is west of Perry and a pleasant place to take a break if you have the time. It is a long hard drive for one day. There are a couple private campgrounds in Old Town but I've not stayed at either.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can attest to the portion of the road north of St. Pete starting due west of Ocala. From around Inglis to Perry and then west on 98 is my preferred route versus using I-75/I-10. When headed west I take 267 through the Apalachicola National Forest to Hwy 20, so I can't speak to the rest of the route to St. George Island. I do advise you to stay out of Panama City on 98 or attempt to go any further west on 98. Miserable traffic headed into Destin and Fort Walton Beach with a bazillion traffic lights.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you folks. Rt. 98 it will be. I was just afraid of too many small towns, traffic lights, etc. We are staying on St. Geoge's State Park. Looking forward to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SGI is also easily one of our all time favorite parks. I don’t know how it will be while you are there in January, just know the mosquitoes can be ruthless! Hopefully with the cooler than normal temps they have had recently will be a big help!
    2015 Ram SRW 3500 4x4 Cummins
    B&W Patriot 16K
    2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Scott & Jennifer
    Newnan GA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are SMALL towns you will be going through. With the exception of Perry I doubt that any of them have more than two traffic lights. The Park Service has a small display in Perry dealing with the turpentine industry from years past. It is a rather dated exhibit but it makes a nice rest stop and is worth a few minutes. You'll also find some nice hole in the wall eateries along the way. None of the national chains through this part of the panhandle.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you check out where to fuel up if you need to on the trip. Small towns mean small gas stations with little wiggle room for trucks with campers. St. George is very nice I am sure this time of year. Summer months mean bugs and snakes in your campsite....ask me how I know.
    Bryan
    2016 Reflection 303 RLS
    2007.5 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Duramax
    2014 Buick Enclave
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You ain't joking! I know how you know. Saw the largest wild diamondback rattlesnake I've ever seen down there June 2016! Beautiful snake though.
    2015 Ram SRW 3500 4x4 Cummins
    B&W Patriot 16K
    2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Scott & Jennifer
    Newnan GA

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll skip the rattlesnakes ..... lol. But, looking forward to the drive. Thanks all.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As many have said St. George Island is one a great park. The stars at night are really beautiful. The campground is nestled in a pine forest with a short walk to the beach. The beach is pristine with 20 foot tall natural dunes. We go US 19 to 98 and then though the National Forest. Make sure you fuel up in Perry once you are west of there, there is not much but a really beautiful drive some of it right along the gulf. Apalachicola is a neat little town with shops and a great place to eat called Boss Oyster. There are also right near by oyster docks were you can buy fresh local oysters and shrimp. Enjoy!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast