User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Victron 12/2000 Multi-plus in an Imagine?

Greetings all.

Does anyone have a Victron Multi-plus installed in the pass-through in your Imagine? I did all the measurements, and it will fit nicely, but would like to see some pictures for ideas. I have a piece of cardboard sized for the back wall of the pass through, made some other cutouts the size of other components (LiPo bank, shunt, solar CC, etc) with wires. I can shuffle them around to different configurations before trying one with the actual equipment, but somebody else's experience is always very welcome and could save some time.

Thanks!
    Jim
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh.xsnrg View Post
    Greetings all.

Does anyone have a Victron Multi-plus installed in the pass-through in your Imagine? I did all the measurements, and it will fit nicely, but would like to see some pictures for ideas. I have a piece of cardboard sized for the back wall of the pass through, made some other cutouts the size of other components (LiPo bank, shunt, solar CC, etc) with wires. I can shuffle them around to different configurations before trying one with the actual equipment, but somebody else's experience is always very welcome and could save some time.

Thanks!
    Jim
    Jim,
    I can see you've read my Electrical Mod post (there's a list at the end of every thread that shows who read it). If you haven't looked at it lately, start at post #127 to get an update on the install.

The one item I'll add (since it is not well documented on my thread) is the toll the project is taking on me. I've had to crawl into the pass-thru multiple times for one reason or the other so I'm bruised from my ankles to my wrists. The aspirin bottle is my friend, too. (But I'm having fun!)

Since it sounds like our projects are similar, so don't hesitate to hit me up with specific questions.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Howard,

That is indeed a great thread, and I should have referenced it in my request for even more of the same. There is a lot of good information in there that I will be sure to use, but I don't want to clutter it up with my own tinkering either.

Good luck on throwing the switch! (Not that it looks like you will need it)

Jim

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ripping into an Imagine 2400 electrical system

I have enough pieces accumulated now (and have read through @howson s' page again), so time to get started. I started by taking a cardboard cut-out of all the dimensions of the components and a large piece of foam to place them onto on a workbench. Space should be okay in the pass-through for the equipment I am planning on, with proper wire radius bends, cooling, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190428_153522-sm.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	19673

I'll document some of the journey as the Imagine is a little different. It is a 30A, so only one leg to worry about, for example.

First some recon. The DC part, including the trailer charging from the TV needs to be understood, so I crawled under and started poking around. I did verify today that the TV actually does properly charge the battery when hooked up an running. Given all the questions on the interwebs, I had no idea if my TV was going to work right or if I also had to do some work there.

This picture is along the inner frame rail, to the left is the front of the trailer/tongue. One of the heavy red wires runs back up to the jack. This wire has a 30A in-line fuse. The other red on the far left is the cable from the battery. I was happy to see the breaker installed correctly . The heavy cable in the back is the bundle from the 7 pin, so without pulling the cover from the box, I feel pretty safe to assume that it is mostly trailer wiring connections, except for the power and ground coming out of it (black and white) from the truck.

Name:	20190428_150239-sm.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	19672

I am not sure what I was hoping to find behind the rear panel in the pass-through, but I found a whole lot of nothing, and was a bit disappointed for some reason. It would have been nice to have a hole there with a big sign that said "Use this hole for your needs". Yeah, right. I had also hoped there would be a little bit of insulation or something. Nothing but the wiring for the outlet. The other side of the framing is simply the panelling inside the bedroom in the camper.

Name:	20190428_153350-sm.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	19674

The next step then, was to drop the chloroplast and have a look around. This must be where all the wiring is.

Name:	20190428_155610-sm.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	19675

Sure enough. I see they bothered to do both sides of the wiring loop up...

My WFCO is on the same side of the camper as the wiring loom running off towards the back of the trailer, so this is likely where a few more wires will end up.

At this point I am waffling on getting the Victron 2000/12 or just going with a 600w Samlex pure sine that I have from another project to see how much I wish I would have had the bigger inverter/charger. The thing under consideration is the output voltage on the WFCO and its compatibility with the batteries that will be showing up shortly. A DC to DC charger with the right parameters might be needed, but if I have to do that, then the cost of the Victron suddenly drops a bit, and I know it will properly charge the batteries.

At this point, I have 2 Battleborns, a 600w pure sine, the Victron 712, a Victron 150/35 charge controller, 400w of solar and a bunch of wire, connectors, and over-current safety devices.

Jim

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this point I am waffling on getting the Victron 2000/12 or just going with a 600w Samlex pure sine...
    Jim,
    It's early and I still haven't had my coffee...so take this with a grain of salt.

A 600W inverter will net you a grand total of 5 amps of 120vAC (600/120=5). I don't have the specs handy, but the Battle Borns can provide a LOT more than 50 amps of 12vDC to your inverter.

In contrast, the Victron 2000W will provide up to 16.67 amps of 120vAC. That's right on the border of being able to run the microwave. The Victron's assist mode will come in handy, too, on those hot days when the air conditioner is cranking.

Unless it's financially unfeasible, my .02 is to get the Victron and don't look back.

I didn't find the fuse between the charging line and self-resetting breakers. I'll have to look again.

I assume you verified the charging of the battery by simply putting a voltmeter across the battery? When the truck was charging the battery, what voltage increase did you see?

Good luck with your project. I'll be following along as you post.

-Howard

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Howard,

The 600w will be plenty to run the TV and charge some batteries for cameras and such. We do have a generator as well, so can use that as needed for the larger things. The only thing that makes the 600w appealing is it is in hand, and I can do all the wiring for the 2kw and only change the fuses later. I would need to change the fuses because I would have to neck down the large cables from the batteries to fit in the smaller posts on the 600w inverter, so would need small fuses so that the fuse is still the weakest link. The inverter is capable of 1kw burst, so a 100A fuse would work (1000/12v=~83A).

In case anyone is curious, it is a device like this: https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-SPT52.../dp/B001H4W86C. They work well, just make sure you fuse correctly.

I do agree though... In spite of already having a nice 600w, the Victron would solve more problems in one go.

The factory tied the jack to the battery directly by putting both connections on the same post on the circuit breaker, so the 30A in line fuse was needed. In my case it is a spade fuse about two feet forward of the auto breaker.

I did verify the charging, and was pleasantly surprised. My method was running the furnace for about 20 minutes. I started on battery with the battery at 12.3v, turned the furnace on and watch it drop to 12.1 (at the distribution panel). I then hooked the truck up and immediately saw the voltage jump back up to 12.4v, so I knew it was charging as there was no other source of power, but wanted to see how it did. I left the furnace running and watched as the battery voltage actually increased. I don't have empirical data, but I have a DC clamp meter that I was able to put on the wiring in the distribution block, and found the furnace to draw 6.6A when running. The 12v DC circuit for the fridge draws about .46A. I can therefore say that the truck provides more than 10A when running. With the rate of increase of voltage on the battery, 15A or more is possible.

Jim

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about this more as I was on the exercise bike this morning. If you spring for the Victron Multiplus you should also get either the Color Control GX ("mac daddy") or the Digital Multi-Control so you can easily control the inverter.

At minimum I suggest wiring the setup for a 2000W inverter, the maximum you'd want with two 100aH batteries. Then try your 600W and see how it goes. (No way I'd want to go back and re-do the wiring!) If you decide later to get the Victron, it's just a relatively simple component replacement. The in-line fuse between the batteries and inverter is easy to swap out if the system is scaled.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, I think I posted about the same thing you did only beat you by a couple hours. I am guessing you logged in to add your thoughts and didn't see that I had as well. Cheers! . I also answered your charging question, somewhat.

Jim

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothing to see here...

I did manage to crawl back under and take a peek inside the junction box. Not much in there, just trailer wiring. That is a good thing I guess. Overall, fairly cleanly wired, just not much protection under there for the wiring (or the LP line).

Name:	20190501_183914.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	19768

On the other hand this was a little more exciting:

Name:	20190501_180904.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	19769

Time for some fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time for some fun.
    Any progress on wiring up your inverter? I'm wanting to add one in my 2800BH pass through and was wondering if you have figured out how to run AC wire from the front pass through to the breaker panel yet, and if so any pics? Many thanks and good luck with your install.
    2019 F350 SRW w/equalizer hitch
    2019 Imagine 2800BH

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast