User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a really bad idea. But, depending on how much ventilation they have around the skirting they “may” get lucky with it and survive as they have so far. But myself, I wouldn’t do it for nothing! I’d talk to them and make sure they have acceptable detectors and are aware of the potential life ending consequences.
    2015 Ram SRW 3500 4x4 Cummins
    B&W Patriot 16K
    2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Scott & Jennifer
    Newnan GA

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ducting would also add back-pressure to the exhaust which could reduce the furnace performance.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warsw1 View Post
    Wow....How is carbon monoxide (CO) harmful to the body?
    Oops! I am showing my ignorance, thanks for setting it right, I put carbon dioxide in my OP, should have said carbon monoxide. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    BTW, have you spoken to him/her?
    Yup, the very first time I met them I questioned the connection. Told him I had thought of that last year but was afraid of carbon monoxide poisoning. He mentioned that he had installed additional alarms.

After looking it up carbon monoxide is slight lighter than area, the wiki goes on to state that the difference is very marginal, that the distribution of CO is more dependent on air current than rising. I think he is getting away with it because his skirt is home made, and looks a little drafty. Instead of the slide rail system that I have on my skirt he has snaps. The area between the snaps allows some air flow.

I would love to be able to capture that lost heat going out into open air. I just haven't figured out a safe way to do it.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post

After looking it up carbon monoxide is slight lighter than area, the wiki goes on to state that the difference is very marginal, that the distribution of CO is more dependent on air current than rising. I think he is getting away with it because his skirt is home made, and looks a little drafty. Instead of the slide rail system that I have on my skirt he has snaps. The area between the snaps allows some air flow.

I would love to be able to capture that lost heat going out into open air. I just haven't figured out a safe way to do it.
    I don't think there's a safe way to do it without too much back pressure. If you were to go under with a sealed line and back out the skirting allowing it to vent to atmosphere outside the skirting, there would be some heat exchange, but I don't know if there's enough heat loss/exchange under the coach to do anything. You'd have to make sure the tube is 100% sealed.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    .. too much back pressure.... I don't know if there's enough heat loss/exchange under the coach to do anything.
    I thought of using metal fireplace flume material, then placing a small fan on the end to ensure draw. The idea being the hot air would transfer heat through the metal. The fan would make sure the bad stuff goes out the other side.

And then there is your last point. "don't know if there's enough heat loss/exchange." Since I have no means of calculating nor measuring the effectiveness my cost/effort vs effectiveness analysis determined that I should sit warm and cozy in my current setup and enjoy a cocktail while contemplating something I can accomplish, like which ski runs I should start on tomorrow.
    Dallas

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t believe anything good can come from that setup. Seems that if the RV manufacturers thought it was a good idea to do this they wood set the exhaust to discharge into the enclosed under belly area from the factory. As for your neighbor I would politely recommend they disconnect the hose and would reconsider following their advice on any other matter. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This reminds me of nearly four decades ago in our first home where Starlings would sit on the top of the furnace brick and concrete chimney (old fuel oil burner then) to stay warm in the winter and eventually tip over and roll down the roof and drop to the ground.

Have to appreciate the thinking process here to utilize otherwise wasted heat energy and if could be done safely (essential) and have any measurable value as Dallas and Curtis pointed out the opportunities could be interesting.

I'll sit back this evening like Dallas with a beverage and not give it any more thought.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There might be enough ventilation, there might not, you'd have to be ignorant to try it though.

Very dangerous

People have run generators in garages before without dying. People have camped ground level in a tent near generators exhaust without dying. Doesn't make doing those things any less dangerous, folks just don't understand how the biology works and take unnecessary risks.

This is a great example of a potential Darwin award.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a huge fan of survival of the fittest. I love watching the kids encounter natural consequences when they don't heed the warnings of their parents. My niece told my sister that it was her job to protect her child. My sister responded, no, you cannot protect your child. More importantly you must teach your child to recognize danger and make good decisions.

Life happen, events occur!

I made an effort to educate my neighbor. I respect his decision. I am not accountable for his decision.
    Dallas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12