Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truma Aqua Go Mod

I was surprised to see so few topics on this subject, so here we go:

Has anyone done a mod to install a Truma Aqua Go system in their trailer?
    Anyone know where to buy them to do the install yourself (Truma's current position appears that t hey only want certified dealers to do the install)?
    Any feedback on the units?

I'm looking to install one into an Imagine 2400BH. Thoughts?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The issue I see with the Truma AquaGo is that it is an instant demand hot water heater. To do this, you need to have the hot water circulating in a continuous loop. This would require running return lines to the hot water heater. There are other brands of tankless RV water heaters on the market that can be a direct replacement and you can purchase in the retail market.

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    The issue I see with the Truma AquaGo is that it is an instant demand hot water heater. To do this, you need to have the hot water circulating in a continuous loop. This would require running return lines to the hot water heater. There are other brands of tankless RV water heaters on the market that can be a direct replacement and you can purchase in the retail market.

Jim
    Hey Jim,

They have different options, the premium one being the "plus" that has the loop you are referring two. The other two lower models do not have this requirement.

I'm open to other brands, but it seems like they don't get great reviews, are very difficult to dial in temperature, fluctuate in temp, etc. What brand do you recommend/have you heard good things about?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have no experience with any of them. When I saw your post yesterday, I looked at the AquaGo and didn't realize those other models existed. You're right. The other brands don't have very good reviews. If the AquaGo is rated higher, I'd consider it first.

But just a reminder. If you use the existing hot water tank on both gas and electric heating at the same time, the recovery rate is 17.8 gallons per hour for the six gallon tank.

Jim

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The six gallon HWH is not far from a "tankless" heater with the electrical/propane option. A 60,000 BTU unit will use your LP gas supply in a hurry, I'd rather use the electric mode most of the time. Install in RV may have to include an upgrade to LP supply. I looked at a 180,000 BTU tankless system for my home, I wouldl have to upgrade my main gas line since it uses so much more gas. IMO I'd stick with the standard heater

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also the Truma product is propane only. It uses only 1/3 of the fuel of a conventional tank water heater. After speaking to my service manager (they are a certified dealer) he indicated it's not a true tankless water heater but a hybrid because they use a small tank in the unit to control hot water temperature at the faucet. He stated it works well and they are seeing more and more in new coaches.

The older true tankless water heaters have been problematic as seen by the ones that come into his shop. The tank models are tried and trued and perform well especially to Jim's note of recovery when running on both gas and electric. I have been a little confused about the requirement of the certified dealer.
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clsfly View Post
    The six gallon HWH is not far from a "tankless" heater with the electrical/propane option. A 60,000 BTU unit will use your LP gas supply in a hurry, I'd rather use the electric mode most of the time. Install in RV may have to include an upgrade to LP supply. I looked at a 180,000 BTU tankless system for my home, I wouldl have to upgrade my main gas line since it uses so much more gas. IMO I'd stick with the standard heater
    My experience is with a standard 6 gallon heater, gives me a max of 5 minutes of a decent shower. With the units in the GD's (what brand/model is it btw?) what do you think that equates to time wise? Just looking to get to 10-15 min showers.

The additional nice thing is not waiting, for example doing dishes. I live FT in my RV (buying a GD imagine soon), so getting home it would be nice to say do some dishes, without waiting.

I would go Truma, but so far no one will sell them. I've reached out to Truma themselves and I'm trying to convince them to sell me one directly since I don't live near a dealer and am FT. Researching other options, but seems that they have been problematic.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience with the Truma, but I am intrigued. I had a 1st generation Girard in my class A and, while it was ok, the temperature fluctuations were terrible, BUT when it got dialed in correctly, it got better. Also, that being said, it was always better than 6 gallon tank heater which is absolutely inadequate. A 10 gallon should be the minimum period.

My understanding is that the 2nd generation Girard is much better and I've now read in a few forums that this Truma is even better yet. It'll be one of our first mods for sure. Once we order our 303RLS this weekend, I will ask the dealer (Bretz) if they can install it. They are an authorized dealer in Billings Montana, their headquarters, but they have several locations one of which is here in Boise. I'm sure their dealer status probably would pass through. I'll update this when I know more.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Is it possible to simply swap out a 6 gallon standard water heater from our GD and replace with a 10 gallon of the same brand?
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, and no. It is possible but you have to check your dimensions all the way around, both height, width and depth especially. Also need to figure out how much propane is going to the unit and if you have enough. This attachment shows Atwoods dimensions for an XT water heater. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	11028
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.jpg  
    Last edited by Bigtrace; 01-15-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast