Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I tow a Grand Design?

We have a 2016 Colorado truck, and are looking at purchasing our first trailer. We are limited by the 7000 lbs. tow capacity, but are interested in the Imagine 2150, with a dry weight of just under 5000 lbs for the 2016 & 2017 models. The Colorado has a GCWR of 12000 lbs. According to RV.CampingWorld.com, RV Dry Weight + Passenger’s Weight + Cargo + Liquids = Total Weight.

So say 5000 lbs dry weight +passengers (&dog) weight of 450 lbs + cargo ~750 lbs + liquids 100 lbs=6300 lbs. ~ 90%capacity. We don’t plan on boondocking or carrying anything of significant weight. Do you think this is doable, or are we pushing it? Is there something significant that I am forgetting? The curb weight of the truck is 4390, so we should be within the GCWR also. Thanks for your input from a newbie at RVing!
    Last edited by stephensfamily5; 01-08-2018 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Mistype

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say you would be pushing it. Ideally you want to be no more than 80%. If you can pull it is not as big of an issue as how well you can stop it. Our last set up was a GVW of 6000 and the 1500 truck capacity was 9,000. It was not fun pulling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris and Karen - currently on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

Roaming the country full time with our 2018 312BHTS Reflection behind a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins and two preschoolers who are highly addicted to camping.

Follow our adventures @brownsignjunkies

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the Payload and Rear Axle ratings for your Colorado? They should be on the driver's door or door post. Those are often the limiting factors.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say Camping World fudged the numbers a little. Use the RV's GVWR (the max weight of the trailer and contents) and figure 10% to 15% as TW then work the numbers on your truck. Don't feel bad if the numbers don't work out the way you hoped - I doubt anyone on this forum hasn't had that experience.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizardqing View Post
    I would say you would be pushing it. Ideally you want to be no more than 80%. If you can pull it is not as big of an issue as how well you can stop it. Our last set up was a GVW of 6000 and the 1500 truck capacity was 9,000. It was not fun pulling it.

You didn't have it set up right. A properly set up 1500 will do a really nice job pulling a 6K lb TT.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stephensfamily5 View Post
    We have a 2016 Colorado truck, and are looking at purchasing our first trailer. We are limited by the 7000 lbs. tow capacity, but are interested in the Imagine 2150, with a dry weight of just under 5000 lbs for the 2016 & 2017 models. The Colorado has a GCWR of 12000 lbs. According to RV.CampingWorld.com, RV Dry Weight + Passenger’s Weight + Cargo + Liquids = Total Weight.

So say 5000 lbs dry weight +passengers (&dog) weight of 450 lbs + cargo ~750 lbs + liquids 100 lbs=6300 lbs. ~ 90%capacity. We don’t plan on boondocking or carrying anything of significant weight. Do you think this is doable, or are we pushing it? Is there something significant that I am forgetting? The curb weight of the truck is 4390, so we should be within the GCWR also. Thanks for your input from a newbie at RVing!
    I would think it is doable if you stay within the ratings of the truck. I'm not sure how a 2016 Colorado comes set up from the factory but you will want to have a good WD hitch, E rated tires and probably some type of helper springs IMHO.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with warsw1 . . . you will be close to the door label numbers for the Colorado, but that’s OK. It is validated to those numbers with a safety margin. You don’t have to load the trailer to GVWR . . . 750 lbs of cargo is light but doable if you pack carefully. Remember to include the weight of a good quality weight distributing hitch with sway control. Tongue weight to trailer weight is an important ratio. There are some good YouTube videos on why this is.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Info

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara & Dave View Post
    What are the Payload and Rear Axle ratings for your Colorado? They should be on the driver's door or door post. Those are often the limiting factors.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    The GAWR rear is 3500 lbs. The base payload is 1580. How do I know if these would be limiting factors?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warsw1 View Post
    You didn't have it set up right. A properly set up 1500 will do a really nice job pulling a 6K lb TT.
    Well to be fair we did spend most of the time pulling the mountains of NC, VA, TN and WV. Plus now that we upgraded to a 6.7 Cummins Ram 3500 it seems like towing was really hard before!

Chris and Karen - currently on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

Roaming the country full time with our 2018 312BHTS Reflection behind a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins and two preschoolers who are highly addicted to camping.

Follow our adventures @brownsignjunkies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warsw1 View Post
    I would think it is doable if you stay within the ratings of the truck. I'm not sure how a 2016 Colorado comes set up from the factory but you will want to have a good WD hitch, E rated tires and probably some type of helper springs IMHO.
    I know we will need a good WD hitch with some type of sway control. I forgot to add 100 lbs. for that. Is that right?

What are E tires? And what do you mean by helper springs? Sorry, but we know very little. That is why we are here asking questions before spending our hard earned money!
    Last edited by stephensfamily5; 01-08-2018 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Mistype

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast