Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

travelling thru the rocky mtns in u.s.a.

looking at going to Utah this summer,by way of south Dakota,nebraska,colorado then into Utah.Has anyone taken an RV thru the rocky mtns.,in the states and is it hard to do, ifi got kind of a surprise when I started checking out some of the elevations and wondered if it was not a great idea.
    We live in Ontario Canada and pull a 303 rls reflection 5 th wheel with a chev 3/4 ton diesel . thanks ,,,,Brian

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the year of your Duramax and the condition of the brakes on your 303 (i.e. free of grease, properly adjusted, etc.), you should be fine. I find the Mountain Directory to be very helpful. It comes in several digital versions - PDF, tablet, etc. - has has Eastern and Western editions. As you look at your routes, the Mountain Directory will tell you about elevations, grades, and any restrictions. There is a trucker's atlas that will give you similar information. We have pulled our 337 through the Rockies, Sierras, Appalachian, and Allegheny Mountains as well as some steep and tight places in East Tennessee using the Mountain Directory for guidance and planning.

Safe travels,

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did that same exact route coming home from the Black Hills. I have a '07 Classic Crew Cab, long bed, with the Duramax and we were pulling a 34' travel trailer. It did it with ease, even coming up to the Ike Tunnel. We did this in a July and the only thing that made it "difficult" (but really wasn't all that difficult) was the heavy rain all the until Grand Junction.

Now the winds we encountered once we got to Grand Junction, that's a different story.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad, just long steep decent and climbs so as previously mentioned make sure your brakes are in good condition and use your gears. Make sure yo take plenty of carrots for begging mules in Custer State Park in the Black Hills. If you get a chance spend some time in Glenwood Springs, CO as well.
    We started with a old 24ft stick and tin in 2006, then purchased our first new trailer in 2013 with an Ecplise 23SCG thinking this would be our last trailer. That was until we unexpectedly took in a family members children on top of the 3 we had, so we now have 1 biological and 4 adopted children for a total of 5 children. So here we are, just purchased a new 2018 Momentum 388M to keep our sanity with seven people and two 100 lb dogs. We like primarily dry camping in the forest but try to take the children every summer for a 2-4 week adventure showing them different parts of the country. Thanks to my job as a Paramedic Firefighter I get to spend a lot of time camping with the children throughout the year.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about the year of your Chevy. If you have an engine or exhuast brake, you'll be fine. I went from California to Colorado, to South Dakota and then to Oklahoma to get the disc brakes. I didn't know when I went over the Colorado Rockies that three of my brake drums/shoes were covered in grease and one brake shoe had the lining missing. But due to my exhaust brake, I didn't need to use my brakes much. Ford has done an excellent job with that.

I have the 376TH with a Harley Ultra Classic in the back so 21,000 lbs but it was easy enough. Here is a picture of us up on top of Vail Pass (and this wasn't the highest pass).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5961 Vail Pass.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	10994
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2018 303 and pull it with a 3/4 ton turbo diesel truck and live in Colorado. We camp all the time in the mountains. My truck is a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD and we have no problems on any of the roads. I can maintain the speed limit on all roads (I keep my speed to 62 mph) but the hills are not an issue - I can maintain 62 mph going up I-70 out of Denver.

I have a good engine brake on the truck that works fantastic. It works good enough that I was able to come down I-70 into Denver and only had to hit the brakes about 2-3 times the whole way (this turned out to be a very good thing because when I took the trailer in to be serviced the day after I got home I found that my brakes were all “greased up - the worst the tech had seen) so having a good engine brake really saved my bacon. We have made almost all the passes in Colorado and have never had an issue. Just take your time and enjoy the view.

Childj
    Jchild- Colorado Springs, CO
    - 2018 303RLS
    - 2015 GMC 2500HD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need the exhaust brake IMHO. And the Allison trans where you can select each gear with the switches on the steering wheel. We have traveled Wolf Creek Pass frequently with truck/fifth wheel in signature. Locked truck in second gear, moderate braking to lose 10 mph every 1/2 mile. There are other CO passes with similar percentage grades. Take your time, enjoy the awesome beauty!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made that trip last summer and it is one great trip. I-80 has way more truck traffic than I liked but ok. You think you are on the level but slowly climbing past 7,000-8,000 feet. I-80 west into Utah is not to bad, like the others have said, I'm glad I have the exhaust break. Have fun
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steep grades are a definite concern but also the wind can also destroy your day. We left Grand Junction and as we checked out of the campground the lady at the desk warned about the wind. It was dead still outside and I did not feel threatened. Suddenly about 50 miles or so into Utah on Interstate 70 we encountered very high winds!! The wind was blowing so hard that it unfolded our steps on the trailer. I had to stop three times to put them back up, finally securing them in a closed position with a rope!! We were pushing a very hard headwind at times. So hard that about 40 mph was all I could make my Ram Cummins do without downshifting. Fuel consumption was terrific and there are no services for nearly a hundred miles. The dust was also a concern. With a fuel guage becoming a threat I was a miserable camper!! I had sweaty palms to say the least!!! Finally we got through this barren section of Utah and finally started to see some forest. The wind subsided somewhat and we made it to a nice truckstop near Salina. From there on we had no problem. We base camped in Panguitch Utah and had a wonderful time seeing all the national parks in the area. If you are traveling in mountains just don't ride the brakes and gear down. I usually let the speed up to 60 and then get on the brakes rather hard to bleed off 10 mph or so. Then coast along as speed builds and brakes cool. Then hit the brakes again rather hard again. If traveling the Interstate system this works pretty well. The grades are designed for large rigs. State routes can be an issue. Get a mountain directory because they can keep you off dangerous roads!! I'm not afraid of any Interstate but view any other road with caution. Keep an eye on weather forecast for high winds anytime you are traveling in the American West!! That day we encountered the high winds in Utah we heard on the evening news that tractor trailers were being blown over near Salt Lake City!!!!!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks very much for all the replies,we are going to go,was worried when i seen some of the elevations in Wyoming ,Colorado and Utah, but, we understand the views of the states are really something to see.
    Sounds like my engine break will get some use.
    Just put all new rotor.calipers and pads on the truck and will take the rv wheels apart and check everything before we go.
    Will be sure to listen to weather reports.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast