0 Thread(s)
    thanks a lot,good to know

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on Mountain Directory.

If you haven't pulled in the mountains before take some time to research it. A couple of things that I do:

1. When approaching a known steep downgrade slow down at the top. Engage the engine exhaust brake. If it is above 7% grade you may want to put the transmission in 2nd gear before you roll of the top. The idea being you never touch the brakes, they are kept in reserve in case you must make an emergency stop, that won't happen if you they are hot.

2. When approaching a steep long climb downshift early. On my Chevy it likes 2500 rpm, I may be in 1st gear creeping along at 10mph, but the engine is performing well and not over heating. Mind the engine temps, also watch the transmission temps.

3. Watch the bushes. Wind forecasts are helpful, but watching the trees and bushes along the side of the road will provide pretty good wind info also. My rude education was climbing a steep hill going into Guadalupe National Park with a front quartering head wind. I really thought something was wrong with the truck. It was overheating, had no power. I pulled over to let it cool off, when I got out to check things I was nearly knocked down by the wind. MPG also dropped to 3mpg.

4. If you can manage do the hard climbs in the morning. Wind is lighter, temps are cooler.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thought, when pulling a steep grade never stop abruptly to let things cool down! Always try to keep moving and after reaching the crest of the mountain drive a few miles to let it cool with air coming through the radiator. Then if you want to stop it is safe to do so. If you stop abruptly then all that heat you have generated has no way to cool down. Also some vehicles do not circulate transmission fluid if you are in Park. Leave it in Drive (D) to assure the fluid continues to circulate through the cooling part of the radiator.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Likes to tow View Post
    Another thought, when pulling a steep grade never stop abruptly to let things cool down! Always try to keep moving and after reaching the crest of the mountain drive a few miles to let it cool with air coming through the radiator. Then if you want to stop it is safe to do so. If you stop abruptly then all that heat you have generated has no way to cool down. Also some vehicles do not circulate transmission fluid if you are in Park. Leave it in Drive (D) to assure the fluid continues to circulate through the cooling part of the radiator.
    Just like a horse after running it you want to walk him for a ways to cool him down.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12