King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Roof Sealant

Hi Emily,

I was doing maintenance on the roof of my 2017 Reflection 297RSTS yesterday. I needed to use some lap sealant to repair a small crack that had developed in the sealant that Grand Design installed. I used Alpha Systems Super Flex lap sealant as recommended by the roof manufacturer, Alpha Systems.

The color I used was "Beige". As you can see from the attached picture, the beige lap sealant is not even close to the color of the original. Can Grand Design please weigh in on the correct product and product color that will match the sealant they used during installation of the roof?

Thanks - Jim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, that sealant looks white I'm your picture. Is possible the tube was mislabeled?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Jim, that sealant looks white I'm your picture. Is possible the tube was mislabeled?
    I don't think so. I rechecked the tube and is says "beige". I also put a small sample on a white tissue and you can see the beige tint to it. I used Dicor before and it is a much closer match.

Jim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be interesting to see what Emily has to say. I'd bet that they use Dicor as you are correct in that the Dicor beige matches the TPO pretty closesly.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also use Dicor and our Dealer recommended this . Said only use Decor self leveling lap sealant .

Bryan

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    I wonder if the Arizona sun has darkened the original sealant? Check it again if a couple of months and see if it looks darker.

Regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CW had both a beige and an almond color in the super flex. I too was wondering what the correct color was for the reflection. Will be interested to hear what the factory uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, I noticed the same color difference when applying the beige Alpha Systems Superflex sealant. Like Kevin mentioned, it seemed like the original sealant had darkened with age and exposure. Scraping off the outer layer of sealant I found it to be lighter under the exposed surface. Hope that's the case.

BTW, Alpha Systems states that only Superflex sealants can come in contact with their roofing.

http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/files...structions.PDF

Don't know if that would have warranty implications. Interesting to note that the roofing warranty is not transferable and is only valid for the original owner.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would be interesting to know is what GD uses for a sealant when installing the TPO.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought a 2016 reflection 317 and I don’t know what kind a rubber roofing is on the top maybe it’s a different roofing now don’t know but we were told to use Decor at the time and that’s what we use now and it seems to work perfectly fine. I don’t know that the warrantee is any longer than a year anyways perhaps somebody here would know the answer to that.

Bryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast