Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awning Rail Seal Question

On my 2015 337RLS, I have a question on what needs silicone sealant on the awning rail. I see that the top of mine is sealed as well as the sides and about 4" in on each end of the underside of the rail. When my rail pulled away a couple seasons back, I firmed it back on with moly rivets supplied to me by Grand Design. On the end of the rail closest to rear of trailer, the silicone was pulled away from the rail on the side and underside 4" in. I now have bumps and a few ripples on my interior wall vinyl below that area. All of the bumps/ripples are in the 12 to 18" range down from the ceiling. I am guessing this is due to water intrusion due to the sealant being absent on that end. I am diligent about doing roof inspections and overall sealant inspections but this is one I missed.

I actually have two questions. Is the underside of the whole length of the rail supposed to be sealed to the wall like the top of the rail? My other question has to do with the vinyl. Has anyone ever had these bumps and/or ripples and how did you go about getting the vinyl/wall repairs done?

Mike
    Mike

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike & Doris View Post
    On my 2015 337RLS, I have a question on what needs silicone sealant on the awning rail. I see that the top of mine is sealed as well as the sides and about 4" in on each end of the underside of the rail. When my rail pulled away a couple seasons back, I firmed it back on with moly rivets supplied to me by Grand Design. On the end of the rail closest to rear of trailer, the silicone was pulled away from the rail on the side and underside 4" in. I now have bumps and a few ripples on my interior wall vinyl below that area. All of the bumps/ripples are in the 12 to 18" range down from the ceiling. I am guessing this is due to water intrusion due to the sealant being absent on that end. I am diligent about doing roof inspections and overall sealant inspections but this is one I missed.

I actually have two questions. Is the underside of the whole length of the rail supposed to be sealed to the wall like the top of the rail? My other question has to do with the vinyl. Has anyone ever had these bumps and/or ripples and how did you go about getting the vinyl/wall repairs done?

Mike
    It looks as if you never received any kind of response. I am having a similar issue now. Not the horizontal rail for the awning, but the vertical rail for the support arm. It seems to have been poorly sealed. I've had it sealed by a repairman, but I still have ripples in the wall.

Did you ever have your wall repaired, and how?

Thanks
    Terry
    Last edited by tmbeadle; 05-29-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: spellin

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike - feedback from GDRV over the years is that behind the awning rail is a piece of butyl tape the length of the rail which is supposed to seal the rail to the exterior wall preventing water intrusion and help it "stick" once screws and rivets are installed. As you mentioned the top (and bottom few inches from the rail end) do have silicone. Our rail ends were/are also sealed with silicone.

See GDRV (Brad) response in post #72 and #74 on this thread: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ht=awning+rail

Relative to fixing the interior luan wall panel, I have not seen any posts on this but suggest you contact GDRV Customer Service and I suspect they will have some options to consider. 574 825 9679

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide