Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare Tire, Fifth Wheel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spare Tire, Fifth Wheel.

If the spare tire could be carried right in front, between the landing legs, it would make it easier to get to, remove, add air if needed, etc. Mh old 5er had it there, and it was better and you can see it easier.
    There are proís and conís to everything.
    Has anyone moved there spare to the front of there 5er?
    Steve
    2018 Reflection 303. #16847.
    2nd AC, Table & Chairs.
    2013 Ford 6.7, CCSB 4x2. 3:31 axle

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our Momentum 376 the spare is toward the front, about 1/3 distance from hitch. On the 376 there is not enough clearance to put it more forward.
    Dallas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my Reflection 303, it is behind the axles.
    I’m going to look at moving mine to the front . Maybe go to a RV Surplus store and pick up a tire carrier.
    (Leave the one behind the axles in case I want to carry two spares).
    I would think, that would help the tire staying tighter as less bounce being in front of the axles. And easier to get if you have a flat.
    Steve
    2nd AC, Table & Chairs.

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the feedback.
    Bill is no longer with Grand Design. Please contact Tom Holt.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that having the spare to the front between the landing legs would make the spare difficult to access when hooked to the tow vehicle (the likely case for having a tire issue). It is tight just to crawl between the truck and fiver to raise the landing gear leg extensions - can"t imagine having to drag the spare out from under there. Similarly, I don't relish the thought of having to drag the spare out from under the fiver in its current location. My preference would be either have the spare located all the way to the rear of the trailer or located close to the street side of the trailer. Either of those would be relatively easy and safe access to the spare when on the road. The other benefit of having the spare behind the axles is removal of some pin weight compared to having it forward of the axles.
    2016 F350 4X4 CC SB SRW 6.7 Powerstroke with OEM 5th Wheel and Gooseneck Prep Package
    Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
    Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Fifth Wheel Hitch
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving the spare tire forward would add to the pin weight and would affect negatively the GVWR numbers.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G-Dad, TNF,
    All good points. I hate the thought of crawling under the trailer on a busy highway. Did that once on a interstate, and nobody would slow down or move over. And of course, it was on the street side for the flat. You know how the highway workers feel after that, and respect them more.

My old trailer, I had it set so the handle to lower the spare was on an angle towards the door side leg, making it easier to get down, and not being between the truck/trailer. You still had to get the tire from between though. I still liked where it was on my old trailer.
    Steve
    2nd AC, Table & Chairs.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Dad47 View Post
    I would think that having the spare to the front between the landing legs would make the spare difficult to access when hooked to the tow vehicle (the likely case for having a tire issue). It is tight just to crawl between the truck and fiver to raise the landing gear leg extensions - can"t imagine having to drag the spare out from under there. Similarly, I don't relish the thought of having to drag the spare out from under the fiver in its current location. My preference would be either have the spare located all the way to the rear of the trailer or located close to the street side of the trailer. Either of those would be relatively easy and safe access to the spare when on the road. The other benefit of having the spare behind the axles is removal of some pin weight compared to having it forward of the axles.
    Oops - I meant mount it near the curb side.
    2016 F350 4X4 CC SB SRW 6.7 Powerstroke with OEM 5th Wheel and Gooseneck Prep Package
    Bakflip G2 Bed Cover
    Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Fifth Wheel Hitch
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expect that GDRV mounts the Reflection spare tire lift mechanism behind the axles because all the space forward of that is filled with tanks. Seee attached picture . . . there is no room between the bathroom grey and the black tanks and to go forward of this would take space from the front storage compartment.

Based on other discussions on this forum (about losing one tire will overload the other tire on the same side and it will also be short lived) I am thinking that carrying two spares is the right plan. The "easy to get to on the side of the road" spare should be on the back bumper and the second one can be in the OE position for retrieval in a safe area. This also keeps weight off the pin . . . which is important to some of us .

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel and their kitty Gracie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS #792
    2014 F150 EcoBoost 4x4 Crewcab with Max Tow and Heavy Payload pkgs
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,
    No bumper on my 18, 303 which is a ideal spot. Or if you don’t use the 2” receiver, you could slide one in there. But, I carry bikes using the receiver. I guess there are most likely tire carriers and bike rack together, for receivers.
    Really, it comes down to everyone own opinion. The extra weight in the very front, next to the battery, would be a easy mount area. Not sure what the weight is for the tire/rim. I’m not worried about that extra weight up front as other are.
    I liked my old 5er spot between the front legs, front. Could reach under there check the air pressure without crawling under, and kick it to make sure it was tight for travel. Just my 2 cent worth.
    Steve
    2nd AC, Table & Chairs.