Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SRW vs DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SRW vs DRW

Currently we have a Open Range Light 319RLS with a gooseneck hitch designed to be towed with a half ton truck. I'm towing with a RAM1500 EcoDiesel now so I'll have to buy a truck to trade up to the 374TH or 376TH which we are seriously considering. Not really crazy about daily driving, parking, and buying tires for, a dually. A Ford F-350 SRW LWB and/or a RAM 3500 SRW LWB can both be equipped to tow fifth wheel trailer in excess of 21,000 LBs. Either unit we're looking at maxed out is 20K lbs. What are your opinions on SRW vs DRW. With this kind of weight, is it REALLY necessary to go dually?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is , when you're dealing with that much weight better to have four tires in the rear then two . That's why the bigger trucks have dual wheels on the rear it's a weight factor thing !!!

Bryan

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you max that guy out at 20K# and have 22% on the pin, you'll have 4,400# before you even add passengers, the hitch or cargo to the truck. Only a dually can handle that load.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creagin View Post
    Currently we have a Open Range Light 319RLS with a gooseneck hitch designed to be towed with a half ton truck. I'm towing with a RAM1500 EcoDiesel now so I'll have to buy a truck to trade up to the 374TH or 376TH which we are seriously considering. Not really crazy about daily driving, parking, and buying tires for, a dually. A Ford F-350 SRW LWB and/or a RAM 3500 SRW LWB can both be equipped to tow fifth wheel trailer in excess of 21,000 LBs. Either unit we're looking at maxed out is 20K lbs. What are your opinions on SRW vs DRW. With this kind of weight, is it REALLY necessary to go dually?
    It's a tough decision. The significant factor for me is crosswind. I got to play with some hay in Kansas in my early days. Crosswind was interesting, talk about a truck leaving a sidewinder's trail. That makes me a fan of DRW. But I have to admit it is a royal pain to park. I have actually gotten nasty notes because my parking neighbors thought the dually filled up too much space. Whatever! So my advice is this; if you don't anticipate being in high crosswind conditions SRW is for you. If you have the ability to travel in the AM before winds pick up, then SRW is for you.

If you plan on crossing Kansas or West Texas around 4pm then you really want to consider DRW.

If you go SRW, worst case scenario is you find a place to stop in the early afternoon.

There is no "right" answer, only an educated decision to be made.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure that there are a few people out there towing a rig of the length and weight of the 374TH or the 376TH and will tell you it's no problem.

The guys have posted above some things to think about. I've had both and I am currently on my second dually. The last one was a super cab and I thought it was long. This one is a crew cab with long bed. My experience is I adjusted to it quick enough (it's also my daily driver) and in large parking lots, I park out away from the crowds and walk back up to the store. You're not going to park any 1 ton, truck in a normal parking space (they will fit....barely) without running the risk of door dings, fender scratches from people that just can drive or back out, etc. and so even when I was driving the SRW I quickly learned to park away from everybody else.

I was first pulling a cruiser (large boat on three axel trailer) up and down the mountains to Lake Tahoe and when I switched to dually, pulling that kind of weight in the mountains, a lot of curves and steep grades up and down.....it made a big difference.

I also didn't like the thought of getting a flat on the back of the truck with the trailer attached. While I've never experienced that, it is a piece of mind especially on those kind of conditions where there is just not place to pull over even a little bit.

My brother lives in Colo. and just bought a new Ram SRW to pull his 5th wheel (two axel). He says it does fine but that he wished he'd have gone with a dually.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe Sandi and Allen are pulling their 376 with a SRW GM 3500. You may want to check with them for feedback. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo....php/413-Sandi

As an aside, most every time we go camping we see young guys pulling their very large toy haulers with 2500 trucks let alone 3500 SRW trucks. Certainly way exceeding factory build door sticker payloads but considering stock or modified tire and rear spring capacities I wonder where they sit.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creagin View Post
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...fmSNiILorq1xDg

The link above is the 2017 Ford Towing Guide. Make sure you do your research by looking at actual weights on trailer and payload/axle/GVW/etc. capacities on truck. I dont see any combination in the above guide that says a SRW can be equipped to tow 21000lbs; it looks like 18000lbs is the most for SRW 5th wheel towing. Remeber not to base your decision off of the published weights, they are over or under inflated depending which number you are looking at.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a SRW truck on order and I can tell you that the SRW payload/GVWR is probably the first limitation. The diesel 4x4 crew cab is pretty heavy even with the short bed. I could not legally handle a 4000 lb pin. My max payload is ~3400 lbs. If you went Ford, you could definitely order a lighter truck (regular cab, 4x2, and/or 6.2L) to give you more space against that 11500 GVWR. Just make sure you do the math looking at payload as well.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2011 Chevy 3500 crew cab long bed payload just over 4000lb 11600 GVWR

Bryan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast