Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poppy
    I will agree with when you first jump behind the wheel of 40 foot motor coach. Our first day on the road me and my wife both drove and covered a whopping 250 miles and were both dead tired. The next day we managed 300 miles and again I couldn’t believe how worn out we both were. At that point we thought we had made a huge and costly mistake but after couple thousand miles now we do our normal 350 to 400 mile day and don’t even break a sweet and it really enjoyable to drive. My wife has put more miles driving then I have and we put 14,500 on it between Mar and Nov last year. We even took down the Oregan costal highway. I do have a lot respect for those that drive 45 foot buses in towns like Chicago, Kansas City or any big city downtown streets. I know they not for everyone but we found what we like....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two years ago we looked at the super class C on the Ford F-550. Was a 33 ft. and had the 6.7 Powerstroke. Don't remember the gross weight rating but could tow up to 10k. Really liked the layout but my new F-350 was only 4 months old and just could not see parting with a new truck.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First we had a 28' trailer - towing and backing is a pain. You need a load distribution hitch, anti-sway bars and still windy days and passing trucks can make you nuts. Positive side - relatively inexpensive and the room isn't bad, but the low ceilings make me claustrophobic.

Next, we had a 36' gas Class A. Nice rig, convenient to travel in (bathroom, kitchen, TV, etc). Down side, just another full drivetrain to insure and maintain and maintenance isn't cheap. My opinion - if you are pulling a toad or if your Class A is over 36', you need a diesel - yet another whole level of maintenance because you are going to take that chassis to a truck service center most of the time.

Now, we own a 36' Heartland Bighorn pulled by a Ford F350 diesel dually. Handles beautifully, is easy to hook and unhook, backs far easier than a trailer tons of room (for living and storage) - a feature that is very noticeable during extended stay camping, especially the ceiling height. Not as convenient as a Class A or C when you need the bathroom while rolling, but just pull over to a safe spot and the john is right there.

Next, we have a Solitude 374TH on order with even more living room and a garage for my Goldwing or a golf cart, depending on where we're going. Can't wait to get it.

Never owned a C, but honestly, I'd go nuts having to live in one for an extended stay. Not that roomy and especially bothersome are those pesky little corner shower units. My guess is that due to the very top heavy profile, they are no fun in windy conditions. Watch them take even a slow turn - lots of lean there in my opinion. I also wonder if they have adequate power when pulling a toad.

Pricing is a whole other issue, but when I looked at the rig cost vs room and features, the fiver with a diesel truck seemed to offer the most bang for the buck.

Now, all of this is just me and my preferences, but at the end of the day, give me a big fifth wheel and a honkin' diesel truck anytime. Of course, we don't do much short stay (less than a week in any one place) and lots of long term (1 to 3 months) camping, so our needs are likely different than most campers. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just sold our 42' Heartland (Junk) and was looking at buying a C, after looking and doing a lot of research we came up with this: 2018 Forest River Sunseeker 3010DSF $82K at whole seller here in Colorado for spaciousness and most importantly closet space. Went into looking at Mercedes's, but the interior layouts really sucked, all the money goes in the frame and engine.
    Finally decided not to buy a C, mostly due to the 10V gas Ford engine, lots of problems but that's not new with a Ford. The 10V keeps blowing our spark plugs, chassis is weak Fords been going through a lot of transmissions over the Year.
    Keeping our Ram 350 Longhorn diesel, dully and just bought a 303RLS so we can fast track, going shorter I can pull our small boat behind.
    Scott

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poppy,
    Have the same experience 6 RV's in 45 years, pulled most with GMC's my favorite truck, but 3 or 4 years ago Ram came out with AISIN transmission at $2800 extra and jumped on it. 350 Longhorn Diesel, long bed. Pulled 9 tons of a Heartland (junk) 9,000 miles a trip for 3 years. Going over mountains, crossing death valley and never had this transmission heat up like my GMC's were doing. Considered buying a C, but most all have Ford engines. Ford and GMC said 4 years ago it would take them 4 years to catch up. Well Ford uses Aluminum, Ram uses grade 50, all other A-36 frames.
    Ford to catch up has a high torque rating, but hasn't changed the transmissions to accommodate that much torque.
    So just bought 303 RLS and keep truck and fast track this year.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The transmission ford is using is a trans that GM and Ford did a joint venture developing. Been working real good for Ford but GM is still having some problems with it. The Ford Ecoboost is one of the best engines on the market today. I do hear of a lot of problems with the Rams along with every other truck on the market. Anytime you have moving parts their is going to be problems. They all have their own problems you have to search and see what problems they each have then decide which one works best for you. Everyone has their favorite and the rest isn't any good. My BIL worked for Dodge and bought a new Ram. First time out 4 wheeling the frame broke. My favorite is Ford but my wife did talk me into a GMC this last time. I really like it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scohad View Post
    We just sold our 42' Heartland (Junk) and was looking at buying a C, after looking and doing a lot of research we came up with this: 2018 Forest River Sunseeker 3010DSF $82K at whole seller here in Colorado for spaciousness and most importantly closet space. Went into looking at Mercedes's, but the interior layouts really sucked, all the money goes in the frame and engine.
    Finally decided not to buy a C, mostly due to the 10V gas Ford engine, lots of problems but that's not new with a Ford. The 10V keeps blowing our spark plugs, chassis is weak Fords been going through a lot of transmissions over the Year.
    Keeping our Ram 350 Longhorn diesel, dully and just bought a 303RLS so we can fast track, going shorter I can pull our small boat behind.
    Scott
    It's interesting how different folks have totally different experiences. For instance, I've owned 3 RV's (trailer, Class A and fiver), I am awaiting my 4th and my Heartland Bighorn was by far the very best one I owned. In fact, even though I really wanted a toy hauler, I delayed ordering my new Solitude because I was so satisfied with my current coach - literally no problems. I only hope my Solitude performs as well.

As far as a Class C, I guess most RV'ers would say that the style has the least useable space per foot unless you want to buy a Super C.

I don't know anything about Mercedes but I can tell you that after 2 Ford full sized vans and two pickups, I never had a lick of a problem. Chassis is weak and Fords going through a lot of trannys? Really? You could fool me because my F350 diesel dually hauls 16,000 like it's not there and I've never had a Ford transmission problem. V10 blowing spark plugs? Had one in my Class A, put a lot of miles on it and the only maintenance I had is routine. Just like Dodge is your preference, Ford is the only truck I'd own.

Pulling another trailer behind even a small fiver like the 303RLS? I've seen it done, but I wouldn't do it - in my opinion, an accident looking for a place to happen, plus it is illegal in certain states.

To each their own I guess. Safe travels.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so you know, the ford V10 class A chasis put the GM workhorse chassis out to pasture and out of business in the rv industry. Also, the V10 hasn't had a plug spitting problem since 2004. The transmissions used since 5r100 have been almost problem free compared to its dodge counterparts.
    I have 147k on my V10, very dependable vehicle so far.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Skippy View Post
    We love our Reflection 303 and it’s still basically new. Wife and I went to an RV show last weekend and saw two 30ft Class Cs we fell in love with, one Forrester and one Jayco. We are semi retired and thinking about some extended trips late this year or next. Seems it would be easier in the C pulling our Toyota Rav. The C doesn’t have quite as much room though. Any out there have experiences with a C?
    I guess it always comes down to intended use. My wife and I have been happy with our little 24' E450 chassis Winnebago for the last ten years, but we are far from "full timers" (early 50's, still working). We do lots of long weekends (I often use the RV to tow my race cars and stay on site) and 1-2 week vacations. Longest we've been on the road is only 4 weeks. For us, it is cozy, but not claustrophobic. We also don't spend a ton of time in the MH, usually, as we're typically on the road during the warmer months and are usually hiking, mountain biking, fishing or doing other outdoor stuff from morning until dinner. The Class C is also super easy to get set up at camp (particularly when we have the KLR650 on the hitch rack/no trailer). The bathroom/shower on ours is equal to a typical TT with plenty of room (not true of all). But, I can certainly see how a Class C could quickly become "too small" being on the road for longer periods of time.

Cost wise, no doubt the initial buy in is quite a bit more than a TT and ongoing maintenance is also, of course, higher. Insurance is cheap, $335/yr with high limits, and gas mileage is comparable to what most folks get pulling larger trailers. Driving a C is pretty much like driving a big van (but, wider, of course) and poses no problems. Our rig, which I've outfitted with better shocks, bigger sway bars and a steering stabilizer, goes down the road very well and wind is not a concern (except for headwinds, which absolutely destroy gas mileage). The Ford V10/5spd auto in ours has been solid. The spark plug thread issue was limited to early, non-PI headed V10's (built before 2001).

Having said all that, and having been really happy with our C, we're now looking at TT's...for a lot of the reasons y'all are mentioning

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    It's interesting how different folks have totally different experiences. For instance, I've owned 3 RV's (trailer, Class A and fiver), I am awaiting my 4th and my Heartland Bighorn was by far the very best one I owned. In fact, even though I really wanted a toy hauler, I delayed ordering my new Solitude because I was so satisfied with my current coach - literally no problems. I only hope my Solitude performs as well.

As far as a Class C, I guess most RV'ers would say that the style has the least useable space per foot unless you want to buy a Super C.

I don't know anything about Mercedes but I can tell you that after 2 Ford full sized vans and two pickups, I never had a lick of a problem. Chassis is weak and Fords going through a lot of trannys? Really? You could fool me because my F350 diesel dually hauls 16,000 like it's not there and I've never had a Ford transmission problem. V10 blowing spark plugs? Had one in my Class A, put a lot of miles on it and the only maintenance I had is routine. Just like Dodge is your preference, Ford is the only truck I'd own.

Pulling another trailer behind even a small fiver like the 303RLS? I've seen it done, but I wouldn't do it - in my opinion, an accident looking for a place to happen, plus it is illegal in certain states.

To each their own I guess. Safe travels.
    I can list a full page of our Heartland 41 ft San Antonio defects, and no help from Heartland, gave us the wrong model instruction package, no wiring schematic, wires not finalized in sockets showing bare wires, trim coming loose, put washer/dryer in tight closet and didn't pre turn on the faucets (hell trying to get them out of there), dining table was set backward so you can't get the leaf in. 5 lug nuts cracked, bed room flooring over 5th wheel not secured. Would not pay RV mechanics to fix, so did it myself.
    After questioning about the wiring several times I asked if the electricians were certified, answer from Heartland tech: "In the RV manufacturing industry, electricians do not have to be certified". So you can hire anyone off the street to wire your RV, why motor homes stay in the shop so much. NO QC/QA going on here.
    I have a AISIN transmission in my Ram 350, best out there, most commercial trucks are going to it, get the FACTS.
    Been overseas a few years, major change in our labor force, no quality or pride anymore in anything being built.
    BTW: Thanks for your service and coming back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast