Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grampscamper,
    Where do I get the maps you have showing of the US and Canada that I see on these sites.
    Last edited by scohad; 02-20-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scohad View Post
    I can list a full page of our Heartland 41 ft San Antonio defects, and no help from Heartland, gave us the wrong model instruction package, no wiring schematic, wires not finalized in sockets showing bare wires, trim coming loose, put washer/dryer in tight closet and didn't pre turn on the faucets (hell trying to get them out of there), dining table was set backward so you can't get the leaf in. 5 lug nuts cracked, bed room flooring over 5th wheel not secured. Would not pay RV mechanics to fix, so did it myself.
    After questioning about the wiring several times I asked if the electricians were certified, answer from Heartland tech: "In the RV manufacturing industry, electricians do not have to be certified". So you can hire anyone off the street to wire your RV, why motor homes stay in the shop so much. NO QC/QA going on here.
    I have a AISIN transmission in my Ram 350, best out there, most commercial trucks are going to it, get the FACTS.
    Been overseas a few years, major change in our labor force, no quality or pride anymore in anything being built.
    BTW: Thanks for your service and coming back.
    FYI,

Grand Design will not provide wiring schematics at all; they claim it is proprietary information. I can tell you after digging into some of my wiring chasing down some electrical problems, it is painfully obvious that the RV "electricians" are not certified.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many Class C's have water intrusion on the front cap!! Be careful what model you buy and how the front cap is constructed. One piece fiberglass cap that wraps around each side a few inches is the best way to go. There is practically no fix for a Class C that has rot from a leaking front end!!

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scohad View Post
    I can list a full page of our Heartland 41 ft San Antonio defects, and no help from Heartland, gave us the wrong model instruction package, no wiring schematic, wires not finalized in sockets showing bare wires, trim coming loose, put washer/dryer in tight closet and didn't pre turn on the faucets (hell trying to get them out of there), dining table was set backward so you can't get the leaf in. 5 lug nuts cracked, bed room flooring over 5th wheel not secured. Would not pay RV mechanics to fix, so did it myself.
    After questioning about the wiring several times I asked if the electricians were certified, answer from Heartland tech: "In the RV manufacturing industry, electricians do not have to be certified". So you can hire anyone off the street to wire your RV, why motor homes stay in the shop so much. NO QC/QA going on here.
    I have a AISIN transmission in my Ram 350, best out there, most commercial trucks are going to it, get the FACTS.
    Been overseas a few years, major change in our labor force, no quality or pride anymore in anything being built.
    BTW: Thanks for your service and coming back.
    As you know, this is the fascinating world of RV'ing. Our Bighorn 3010RE has been absolutely flawless, with the exception of a few loose screws - normal RV stuff. Not one major problem. I did, however, take apart the basement to install a surge protector and the wiring looked like a grammar school kid did it. I'm betting that my GD is no different and I hope I'm wrong. But, enough about Heartland. I'm a GD owner now, or at least will be soon.

Regarding your point about wiring, here's why I think the other poster who mentioned schematics can't get them and I think it might apply to most RV manufacturers. It has always looked to me like each coach is "custom wired". Why do I say that? Because the wiring always looks like they don't have any idea how to create a wiring harness. Literally, it looks like it was wired one wire at a time, then they used a few (a VERY few) wire ties and a couple of looms to slap it all together. Certified electricians? My guess: it's done by someone who doesn't have a clue about electricity - they just know that the red wire goes from here to here and that's it. In fact, they may not even have a high school diploma. Schematics? I'm guessing they don't exist. That said, I've never had an RV problem I could troubleshoot and solve - most big problems involved sub-components, like reefers, HW heaters, etc.

Regarding Ford transmissions - never had one single problem in hundreds of thousands of miles in multiple vehicles and I am not a "gentle" driver. I always go with past experience first unless there is a good reason not to. Been driving Fords for years and have never regretted it.

"Coming back" was the highlight of my military career!

Safe travels.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen it in a factory, they run one wire at a time off big spools, A to B, just hope your RV wasn't made on a Monday.
    RV industry is like Dell computers, they build a frame and throw in parts from China, then helps in India or nonexistent.
    Like you I do my own repairs, especially electrical, mastered 5 trades. Was a consultant to the major oil companies here and
    overseas in heavy construction and interconnecting piping, sub sea.
    Here's a wiring diagram from GD that just took a lot of research to find, if not your RV still may help since they are all cookie cutter design.
    http://www.klenger.net/297rsts.html
    Go to Custom Wiring then Modification Parts for numbered description.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scohad - Just to be clear, the wiring diagrams created by klenger are his own work from tracing the wiring on his own GDRV product. These are not diagrams created by the manufacturer. klenger has been very generous about sharing his work with others on this forum.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Likes to tow View Post
    Too many Class C's have water intrusion on the front cap!! Be careful what model you buy and how the front cap is constructed. One piece fiberglass cap that wraps around each side a few inches is the best way to go. There is practically no fix for a Class C that has rot from a leaking front end!!
    Agreed. My first RV flip was a class C. Coachmen Leprechaun specifically. Get one without a window in the bunk (if they still even do that) to cut down on leak potential. You'll be surprised to know when you are laying in the front bunk, you are floating on a series of 2x2's that are stapled in from the ends. On the plus side, you can drive into any same make dealer for service.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123