Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about a Class C

We love our Reflection 303 and it’s still basically new. Wife and I went to an RV show last weekend and saw two 30ft Class Cs we fell in love with, one Forrester and one Jayco. We are semi retired and thinking about some extended trips late this year or next. Seems it would be easier in the C pulling our Toyota Rav. The C doesn’t have quite as much room though. Any out there have experiences with a C?
    "Never give up, Never slow down, Never grow old, Never ever die young"
    (James Taylor)

2019 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2012 GMC 2500HD
    B&W Turnover ball
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right a out the Class C inside room being lacking. A fifth wheel spoils you to room. A Class C would be attractive if you were traveling extensively and not staying in one place very long.

But they are relatively expensive new and expensive to move since most are gas powered. Some gas powered Class A units look like a better value pricewise. And the Class A handles a toad better.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to consider is handling. Most class C's handle very poorly when the winds are gusty. I don't have any experience with a class C but a friend of ours took one out for a test drive and said it was all over the road. It was a fairly windy day. I think you'll find that your present combination is much more relaxing to drive.
    You may want to rent one for a few days to try it first before making the purchase.

Bob
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    2022 Ford F350 SRW CC 4X4 Lariat 6.7 camper package, B&W Companion RVK3300

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 2001 27' Arctic Fox 5th wheel for seven years. Decided to "move up" to a motor home. I've had three Class A motor homes. (1) 2008 Tiffin 32' front engine diesel, (2) 2013 Winnebago 25' Via on a Sprinter diesel chassis, and (3) 2014 Winnebago Adventurer 32' on a Ford 53 gas chassis. In the end, I missed having a diesel, mostly for the performance in the mountains.

We looked into Class Cs several times. There are a lot of nice family friendly Cs that sleep a lot of people. There are several issues with a Class C that prevented me from buying one. (1) They are designed very close to the max GVWR and have very little CCC, (2) the turning diameter requires a lot of room to maneuver, (3) the legroom in the cockpit is too cramped for my 6'2" body, (4) the affordable Class Cs will be gas powered on a Ford F450 chassis. I did enjoy traveling in a motor home as it felt that we were camping as soon as we got in and began our travels, and the wife liked the always available bathroom. If you decide to go down the motor home path, consider the issues I mentioned, and it you find it works for you, go for it. I prefer the Winnegago brand and feel that their quality is much better than the others I've seen in that price range.

In the end, I went back to a towable because I wanted the diesel performance, and a Class A diesel pusher was out of our price range, and the ownership costs too high.

Best of luck to your decision.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We own a Grand Design in part, because very good friends of ours owned a Reflection and we spent some time in it. So after a lot of research, we bought a Solitude.

At about the same time, our friends sold their Reflection 5th wheel and bought Class C Forrester built on a Mercedes chassis with a Diesel engine. Their work situation changed and she wanted the ability to travel to a campground, set up, and await her husband's arrival from work. This solution worked great for them. They love it. Their Forrester has great build quality. The reduction in interior space doesn't seem to bother them. We love camping with them and they found an excellent solution to enable them to continue enjoying the benefits of RVing.
    Tim & Lynn
    Western NY
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    2022 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 6.6L Turbo Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All great points to consider. Thanks.
    "Never give up, Never slow down, Never grow old, Never ever die young"
    (James Taylor)

2019 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2012 GMC 2500HD
    B&W Turnover ball
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For us, a large part of the C Class vs small 5th wheel choice came down to what we wanted to be driving when the camper was parked.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
    One thing to consider is handling. Most class C's handle very poorly when the winds are gusty. I don't have any experience with a class C but a friend of ours took one out for a test drive and said it was all over the road. It was a fairly windy day. I think you'll find that your present combination is much more relaxing to drive.
    You may want to rent one for a few days to try it first before making the purchase.

Bob
    They always need an alignment. You of course can always change out the springs, shocks, add in trac bars, sway bars and steering stabilizers to help out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just went from a 2016 GMC 1 ton diesel pulling a Solitude 310GK-R to Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D and there are lot small points that we like with Class A over 5th wheel.

1. Being able to pull into rest stop and without getting out we fire up the genertor and have all three airs going, the satellite dish fired up and the TV on and being able to pop some popcorn in the microwave. Set the generator to auto start if the batteries get low or the temp get up to a pre-set temp make it nice for those one stays without shore power.

2. When we arrive at the camp site the coach is already at 72 degrees and not having to waiting for the coach to cool down.

3. Our TOAD is a Jeep Wrangler 4 door that we getting into doing some light 4 wheeling. Plus we carry our Cricket Golf Cart inside the jeep and Kayaks on top the Jeep with bike rack on the back. It only takes about 5 minutes to connect and disconnect the TOAD.

4. Lot of smal things like while going down the road using the bathroom, getting in the fridge, haveing the coffee pot going in the sink, 5700 pounds of CC and all the nice pass though storage and still have 2700 pounds of cargo capacity left over with ready to camp.

Ours does fine in the wind not much better or worse than our truck and 5er. Probably the biggest negative is cost to purchase and cost of ownership. Our oil changes are 500.00 bucks at 15,000 miles or 1 year that includes engine and generator.

It all comes down to personal preference and how you plan to use the coach, for us it is ideal.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Of my 6 RVs, 1st was a truck slide-in camper, 2nd was a bumper pull, 3rd was a class C, and the last 3 have been 5th wheels. I love the 5th wheel and truck combo. My best buddy has about what CWSWine has and I've both driven it and ridden in it and it's not for me. I find it far less comfortable and "sketchy" to drive especially on tight roads and mountainous terrain. Deb particularly hated riding passenger in our Class C as she always felt we were over the line. I get the the concept of ease of pulling over in a rest stop but that is the least thing we do in our travels and certainly not enough to make it a selling point for us. I would love the idea of towing a Jeep for offroading but not that much.

So since you asked, we really didn't like our Class C experiment but I know many do.

Good luck with your choice.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast