Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Driving the Dragontail in TN one time we had to get in the pullout to let a semi on our butts go by. Did so gladly as we were looking at a sign commemorating people that had gone over the edge.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Driving the Dragontail in TN one time we had to get in the pullout to let a semi on our butts go by. Did so gladly as we were looking at a sign commemorating people that had gone over the edge.
    No offense.....however, I personally think US129 through Deals Gap (affectionately known as the Tail of the Dragon) should have a sign posted banning ALL vehicles that are towing a trailer longer than 18'. I know that might sound harsh to some of you, but before you take me to task, lemme explain.

For those of you not familiar with this stretch of road, it's real simple - in 11 miles there are 318 turns. That's right, 318 turns. I'm not sure whether the Civil Engineer that laid out that road was a die hard biker or had a really warped sense of humor. Be that as it may, in the 30+ years that I've ridden that road on various motorcycles, myself and other motorcyclists have numerous tales of encountering 18 wheelers and RVer's towing big trailers. Some of the tales are scary, but have a good ending. Some have a not so good an ending. And it's not only motorcyclists, but cars as well. There are many turns that, when taken as a left turn, is impossible to not have your "rig" wind up crossing the centerline and significantly occupying the opposing lane. To compound matters, many of these turns are blind corners for the on-coming traffic. The bottom line is an opposing vehicle doesn't have enough of a sight line to have sufficient room to stop when they finally see a trailer on their side of the road and no where to go. Yeah, yeah, yeah....I know there's a bunch of Ricky racer wannabes up there. I don't condone them, but who am I to oppose them trying to take themselves outta the gene pool?? However, I'm a pretty sane rider and ride a sane pace. And there's many a time that, once my trailer encounter is over, it takes me 10 minutes to break the suction between my arse and the motorcycle seat!!

Now.....I'm certain some folks will say, "Well.....it's a US highway and I pay taxes and by God no one is gonna tell me I can't tow my 13.716 meter 5th wheel on a US highway." And I get that. However, personally, I don't wanna tow my big arse trailer on a road that: a) will scare the bejeesus outta me, b) potentially place someone else in harms way, or c) live the rest of my life knowing someone died due to my desire to be on a stretch of road that really wasn't designed for my 60 some feet of towed length. And I hope that all of us can agree on that last point.

Oh......and one last thing, even though I love riding that road, I will not do one thing ever again. And that's ride it at 1:30 in the morning and no moon out. Because there's no headlight bright enough to sufficiently light up that road. Myself and two of my riding buddies road through there coming back from a race. All of us had to stop at least once due to experiencing vertigo from the left/right leaning and elevation changes. I get chills just thinking about it.

Tom

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't agree more. We didn't have a trailer behind us when we drove it. The semi that went by us was the shortest one made and we figured he must drive that road all the time. Some of those curves were so tight that we would loose sight of the car right in front of us, look to the side and see it going by the other way.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been through the Dragon a lot and agree. I wouldn't take my 35' fiver through there. There's better routes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am amazed at the number of people who think the Interstate is for your personal use. We all share the road. Some people have stated that they consistently travel 8 mph over the posted limit. I will not tow my 5th wheel at 8 over!! I follow the speed limit depending on the road type, volume of traffic and current weather conditions. Sometimes I tow at 8 under !! It's all about traffic volume and conditions. Talk about stupidity, anyone trying to pull a heavy trailer too fast in a pouring rain event in heavy traffic should be arrested. The left lane is for passing....usually....but this does not mean in certain situations you have to keep that lane open for the jerk who wants to go above the posted speed limit. I hate pulling through major metro areas and fighting the "locals" who are not towing and know exactly what lane to be in for their upcoming exit. They won't allow you to merge and take the position that if you do get in front of them you...."cut them off." I seriously believe they feel "this is my Interstate and you have no right to obstruct me from speeding."

When I'm driving our car and not towing I follow a different set of rules. I try to stay out of the way of others and drive in a courteous manner. I usually run 5+ mph over the posted limit but not in heavy traffic conditions or rain. I don't feel that I am a problem. Sometimes I run 10 mph over if conditions warrant it. We all share the roads. You have no right to expect me to move to the right so I'm totally out of your way so you can practice your NASCAR skills !! I may be uncertain about the stretch of road ahead and realizing that the right lane may suddenly end and nobody will let me move to the left and I get forced into taking an exit I did not want. In large metro areas taking the wrong exit will get you in BIG TROUBLE.

Lets just all be courteous to others and drive in a safe manner. It will be reflected in our next year insurance rates!! If you see me traveling in the center or left lane please realize that I'm there for a reason. I may be contemplating an upcoming exit. My rig does not stop on a dime and I have somewhat limited visibility.

Now, having said all of this, if you are traveling on a RURAL stretch of Interstate with light or moderate traffic volume and you are staying in the left hand lane for miles on end you are wrong !!!! The left is for passing. Some commercial trucks or RV's cannot handle 8 mph over and we have this nice left hand lane and we leave it open for you. Get near an urban area or where there are a lot of exits and route changes then all of this does not apply. Every lane is there for everyone to use depending on needs.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When towing especially in areas we are not familiar with and there are 3 lanes or more we will take the middle lane. Not knowing what side our exit will be on or will the road split and we may have to go one way or the other. In larger cities traffic getting on can be quite slow so we have found it to be safer to stay in the middle lane, leaving the left lane open for the faster traffic.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    When towing especially in areas we are not familiar with and there are 3 lanes or more we will take the middle lane. Not knowing what side our exit will be on or will the road split and we may have to go one way or the other. In larger cities traffic getting on can be quite slow so we have found it to be safer to stay in the middle lane, leaving the left lane open for the faster traffic.
    But see this upsets some drivers!! They want you far off into the right lanes so they can drive unobstructed at any speed above the speed limit.
    Since this is an RV type forum I'm even surprised the topic came up. Traveling with any type of RV or heavy loaded trailer requires a separate set of rules if you are driving in an area that is not familiar to you.

I've had a few unpleasant experiences with drivers (road rage events) where I was obeying the law but was perceived as "being in the way."
    A while back while traveling in a construction zone on a local Interstate I obeyed a sign at the entrance to the area that stated " Stay in your lane, no passing through construction zone." The speed limit was posted at 50. I was passing a large 18 wheeler trying to get up to speed coming off the entrance ramp so I was in the left lane and at that time entered the construction area. I obeyed the sign, staying in my lane, traveling at about 50 mph. This construction area was about 2 miles long so I just proceeded to the end as I was. I looked back in my rear view mirror and here was some CERTIFIED JERK tailgating me so close I could read the small print on his radiator!! When we finally got to the end of the construction area I then could change lanes and I did. I pulled into the right hand lane. He came by me and paused beside my truck giving me the international sign of ill will.........the finger!!!!!!!! What an a** hole this guy was. I was obeying the law and he was not wanting me to I guess. At any rate the left lane is NOT always for passing..................period

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I notice one of those Certified Jerks behind me, for some reason it triggers the latent passive-aggressiveness in me. [emoji41]

50mph speed limit? I'm rolling over 20K lbs, maybe I decide to err on the side of caution and keep it at 45.

And those little grades? For some reason they seem steeper than they look.

Or maybe I just settle in and keep pace with that 18-wheeler in the right lane, in case the jerk is tempted to pass on the right.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny thing Dave, I tend to have those same trigger points.

John Joscelyne
    John & Carol Joscelyne and Hexy
    Red 2014 Ford F-350 Platinum, SRW, CC, Short bed with roll-N-lock cover.
    With replacement 50 gallon TransferFlow fuel tank, Magnaflow air intake, Edge CT turner.
    Pullrite superglide fifth wheel hitch.
    2015 Grand Design 305RE Solitude, with slide out toppers, <new>Titan disc brakes and Goodyear "G" rated tires.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara & Dave View Post

Or maybe I just settle in and keep pace with that 18-wheeler in the right lane . . .
    This is exactly the same "defence mechanism" that I use. Those who are quite willing to give the finger to someone towing an RV, seem reluctant to do the same to the 18-wheelers .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast