User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK - here goes - I'm gonna say it

I'm not sure how many miles I've covered on motorcycles and cars in the 60 some years I've been on this planet - probably in the millions. When I was learning to drive, my Dad dang near literally beat it into my head that if you're not passing someone, pullover into the right lane. This has stuck with me ever since.

I am continually amazed at the number of folks I see on the roadways that either are in the left hand lane not passing anyone or in the middle lane not passing anyone. Now, let's just forget that in many states it's a law that you pull to the right. Do folks not realize that because the steering wheel is on the left hand side of a vehicle and that we drive on the wrong side of the road (according to the Brits), that one is more susceptible to an accident when they place themselves in a position that folks have to pass them on the right?? Not to be geeky here, but if you glance at your left hand mirror, your eyes are not facing ahead for less than .5 seconds. To look to your right sufficiently to see if there's anything to your right, takes approximately 1.5 seconds. At 60mph, you cover 88 feet/second. So do the math. Almost 200 feet!! Additionally, I cannot fathom why anyone, in any RV, would get in the middle lane of a three lane interstate, and just sit there when there's no traffic in the right hand lane. Not to mention the traffic they wind up stacking up when they're over-taking another vehicle at a 1 mph differential.

I'm no speed demon when I drive. In a car or mo'sickle, I drive 8 mph over the posted speed (that's typically what a LEO will allow you to get away with) and I pull to the right when not passing. In my RAM3500 with the 337 hitched up and on the interstate, I set the cruise at 1900rpm (best fuel economy) which equates to around 67mph and I stay in the right hand lane until I have sufficient space & time to pass another vehicle. And then I move my fat arse dually over into the right lane. This allows 2 full lanes for others that wish to drive faster to choose from and I don't have to worry about folks passing me both on the right or left. I only have to be concerned about my port side. Seems to me that's the courteous thing to do. Just saying......

<flame retardant suit on>

Tom

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same educational process with me! The only caveat I would add is in a somewhat congested urban area, I will be in the center lane of a three lane interstate because many coming onto the highway use the acceleration lane as somewhere they go from parking speed leisurely up to 30 mph or so, so if I am in that lane I am continually braking to let part time drivers in. But when I am in the center lane of three, I am at the speed others are driving.
    Last edited by steve gravelle; 01-13-2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: misspelling
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with you with one exception. In city freeway traffic, I'll sometimes move over one lane to the left because so many drivers do not know how to merge into traffic. They either cut you off or pace you long enough that you have to take evasive action.

Jim

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've told my wife a hundred times that I'll have my stroke while sharing the road with CLUELESS drivers that should not legally be allowed to drive. Don't even get me started on folks in the left lane that aren't aware there are any other drivers on the road with them...
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and BTW, one of the things I love about my C7 Z06 is I can pass anybody and everybody any time I want. This makes up for all the time I spend in the right lane towing my 5th wheel at 63mph.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    I'm not sure how many miles I've covered on motorcycles and cars in the 60 some years I've been on this planet - probably in the millions. When I was learning to drive, my Dad dang near literally beat it into my head that if you're not passing someone, pullover into the right lane. This has stuck with me ever since.

I am continually amazed at the number of folks I see on the roadways that either are in the left hand lane not passing anyone or in the middle lane not passing anyone. Now, let's just forget that in many states it's a law that you pull to the right. Do folks not realize that because the steering wheel is on the left hand side of a vehicle and that we drive on the wrong side of the road (according to the Brits), that one is more susceptible to an accident when they place themselves in a position that folks have to pass them on the right?? Not to be geeky here, but if you glance at your left hand mirror, your eyes are not facing ahead for less than .5 seconds. To look to your right sufficiently to see if there's anything to your right, takes approximately 1.5 seconds. At 60mph, you cover 88 feet/second. So do the math. Almost 200 feet!! Additionally, I cannot fathom why anyone, in any RV, would get in the middle lane of a three lane interstate, and just sit there when there's no traffic in the right hand lane. Not to mention the traffic they wind up stacking up when they're over-taking another vehicle at a 1 mph differential.

I'm no speed demon when I drive. In a car or mo'sickle, I drive 8 mph over the posted speed (that's typically what a LEO will allow you to get away with) and I pull to the right when not passing. In my RAM3500 with the 337 hitched up and on the interstate, I set the cruise at 1900rpm (best fuel economy) which equates to around 67mph and I stay in the right hand lane until I have sufficient space & time to pass another vehicle. And then I move my fat arse dually over into the right lane. This allows 2 full lanes for others that wish to drive faster to choose from and I don't have to worry about folks passing me both on the right or left. I only have to be concerned about my port side. Seems to me that's the courteous thing to do. Just saying......

<flame retardant suit on>

Tom
    I believe you are the exception to the typical Georgia driver....
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve gravelle View Post
    Same educational process with me! The only caveat I would add is in a somewhat congested urban area, I will be in the center lane of a three lane interstate because many coming onto the highway use the acceleration lane as somewhere they go from parking speed leisurely up to 30 mph or so, so if I am in that lane I am continually braking to let part time drivers in. But when I am in the center lane of three, I an at the speed others are driving.
    Point taken. I do the same. It's defensive driving. I'd also agree with TucsonJim - but I've been drinking with him and......well.....you know.

Tom

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    ...and BTW, one of the things I love about my C7 Z06 is I can pass anybody and everybody any time I want. This makes up for all the time I spend in the right lane towing my 5th wheel at 63mph.
    Thread Hi-Jack.

Heard on the way to the National Rally last year while travelling I-77 through the Smokies:

Wife: Is there some reason why you seem to be delighted in passing cars on these steep upgrades?
    Me: HELL YEAH!! Just showing them cage drivers that they ain't got nuthin' on my 6.7 Liter Turbo Cummins Diesel!! Hey - watch this.

Tom

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    Point taken. I do the same. It's defensive driving. I'd also agree with TucsonJim - but I've been drinking with him and......well.....you know.

Tom
    Sheesh! Kiss and tell Tom.

Jim

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do same as Steve & Jim in city areas for the same reasons.

Also, there is a stretch of Northbound I-5 in central CA between the "grapevine" and the divergence of I-5 & Hwy 99 that is so rough in the slow lane that I'm not sure I would still have a trailer back there if I stayed in that lane. Thankfully there are three lanes so I don't have to be in the fast lane.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast