User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Wifi signal booster

I purchased the Ubiquiti Nano M2 for $89 on Amazon a couple days ago and installed the antenna today.
    Setup takes some pretty thorough networking knowledge so keep that in mind if you’re considering it.

I mounted it to my home made flag pole, just under my Weboost antenna, and connected the Nano to my wireless router.

I have never used free WiFi due to the inherent security risks, but now I can pull in a signal from 13 Kilometers (max LoS) encrypt it, and re-broadcast it under my own SSID.

I am currently connected to an access point 2.25 Kms away (The software on the Nano gives you a wealth of info). Currently getting 32 down 14 up.

For less than $90 worth of equipment, I am more than pleased!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I purchased the Ubiquiti Nano M2 for $89 on Amazon a couple days ago and installed the antenna today. ... For less than $90 worth of equipment, I am more than pleased!
    My wallet weeps for it's lost children every time I log onto this forum...

Luckily I work with a few networking genius', so if I run into trouble I have resources to bail me out. I'm fairly computer savvy, so I might be able to stumble through OK. Regardless--this is on the list!
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have the nano feeding my router in the camper as well as a mifi connected to it via USB, so I don't need to keep reconnecting all my devices wherever I go, just pick which one I want to use. Next is some kind of signal booster for the mifi, probably the weboost, once funds recover a bit.

Thinking a combination of strong external antenna for the weboost with a small internal cradle for the mifi since that's all I'll need to boost. My phone's can connect to my internal WiFi and then call out over WiFi so they don't need the boosted LTE, and that will minimize the cross talk between the two antennas (my mifi and router sit about center of my camper front to back, up near the ceiling.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncitro View Post
    ... My phone's can connect to my internal WiFi and then call out over WiFi so they don't need the boosted LTE, and that will minimize the cross talk between the two antennas (my mifi and router sit about center of my camper front to back, up near the ceiling.
    I don't think you have to worry about wifi and cell cross-talk since they're completely different signals and antennas.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worried about cross talk between the external and internal LTE antennas.
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ah, gotcha. Yea, that's a real issue.
    When I did my initial setup and testing on the Weboost, I noticed the device was nearly useless if the internal antenna was less than about 10 feet away from the external.
    I eventually worked out a way to mount the antennas about 16 linear feet apart, best I could do without running the internal down the hall or drilling holes in the bathroom wall.

This shows the approximate locations of both Weboost antennae.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_35280_2151289_49595646.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	14208

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's why I was hoping to just use a cradle behind the mifi with minimum range on the internal antenna. I don't really care about the LTE coverage after that because everything will be connected to my internal WiFi. I've tried a few test calls with WiFi calling over the mifi on both my android and my wife's iPhone and both seemed to do well do I think that should work, just need weboost to have a package with the RV external antenna and the drive cradle internal antenna lol.
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just keep in mind the Weboost doesn't create a signal where there isn't one, at best it yields a minimal improvement, and mostly with upload speed, not download.
    Most places we go, neither one of us has an LTE signal, Verizon and T-Mobile, so don't count on always having anything to amplify.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah there have been a few times we've been to places where it seems we're right on the fringe, as we drive in we have signal but in our site we maybe don't. Looking to clean that up and, and also pickup signal where we can get it outside the rig but not inside.
    2018 Reflection 28BH

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone guide me to what I would need? We have property where we camp and our friend has a home 1/2 mile from our lot. They offered us connection to their WiFi.

What hardware would I need exactly? We have power at our site and we can mount antenna on the temp power pole or on a pole attached to our ladder.

I also have a Verizon MiFi that we use for a local WiFi network in the trailer.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast