User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2015 Ram 3500 (short bed) pulling a 2017 GD 303 and using a B&W Patriot and gracious clearance. Prior to this I had a Reese manual slider (absolutely hated it, lousy hitching/unhitching, heavy, sloppy when towing) and I never one time slid it. It’s all about situational awareness and knowing you’re combinations limitations. I’m 44 and been towing literally since I could drive having grown up on a large farm. I could literally screw up today and I know I’m not above it what so ever. But knowing this and paying attention has always worked out for me so far. Having had both types of hitches and with the radius front caps on today’s trailers, I don’t believe they are “needed” and I’m seeing less and less of them being used. Please understand this is just my experience, and others swear by the sliders. Only you know what your experiences are and what conditions you may get into and must plan accordingly. YMMV.

Good luck!
    2015 Ram SRW 3500 4x4 Cummins
    B&W Patriot 16K
    2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Scott & Jennifer
    Newnan GA

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I towed a Jayco 26.5 RLS with my F-150, 6.5 box truck. Weight was a primary concern, so a slider was out. Went with a Reese Revolution extended pin box. Between it and the conventional hitch, far cheaper and lighter than any slider. Due to design, you never have to remember to use it. Could jack knife that combo like nobody's business!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6.5' box here with a Sidewinder, works great.
    Sharon, Ben & Maggi-Ann (the Cockapoo)
    2014 Reflection 293RES with Airborne Sidewinder
    2015 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4x4 Crewcab with Reese R16

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow more responses in a lot less time than I figured on...

If I get a slider it most likely will be the Demco; just have to take some measurements to be sure the pin box doesn't hit.

I like the Sidewinder idea - need to research that a bit more; but with it I can get the Hensley Trail Saver.

Not sure I like the Anderson alternative (may come around, but not sure); initial research indicates it takes up a lot of room in the bed (as if the /Demco doesn't )

I'll be pulling a 310GK with an F350, SRW, SB.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Wow more responses in a lot less time than I figured on...

If I get a slider it most likely will be the Demco; just have to take some measurements to be sure the pin box doesn't hit.

I like the Sidewinder idea - need to research that a bit more; but with it I can get the Hensley Trail Saver.

Not sure I like the Anderson alternative (may come around, but not sure); initial research indicates it takes up a lot of room in the bed (as if the /Demco doesn't )

I'll be pulling a 310GK with an F350, SRW, SB.
    If you want input on the Demco, and the Ford setup let me know. I loves ours. It is heavy as a $(&*# but ... I use a winch to get it in and out when needed. Works great with the factory puck system. I almost went sidewinder route, double check trailer and pin weights, the 310 might be a bit much for a sidewinder. Remember with the 310 you are pulling a wide body camper so that will cut into cab clearance on sharp turns, all the more reason for an auto slider.
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I have the manual. I don't use it often but it is nice to know it is there when I need it.
    Patrick & Marla with Boomer and Sooner

2007 Chev 2500 Allison Duramax
    2014 Solitude 368RD

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hitches are like trucks, engines and tires . . . there is no consensus on the one “right” answer.

I am very happy with my manual slider Reese Titan 16K hitch. As much as I would like to have the light weight of the Andersen, I would not give up the manual slider to have this and I don’t like the way it has to be positioned either forward and too close to the cab or back and too close to the box rails in a turn. (This is an F150 concern but not so much for F350.)

Too many folks convince themselves that it is “OK” to be able to turn less than 90 degrees on level ground. These are the same folks who damage their trucks getting into or out of that tight and uneven campsite in a rush, in the dark. I use the slider every time I am going to back the trailer whether I think I will need it or not. Just part of the process. If the ground is the least bit unlevel, I also open the tailgate. With the slider back and tailgate open, there is no maneuvering configuration that can bring any part of the truck into contact with any part of the trailer.

I thought about the auto slider hitches . . . but they are even heavier and complicate the hitching process because the truck has to be carefully aligned with the trailer. I can hitch/unhitch the Reese at any angle. Also, having the hitch moving back and forth in the bed depending on angle of the truck just seemed unnecessarily complicated.

There are some other benefits to the manual slider. I hitch in the aft maneuver position because I can see the hitch through the back window of the truck. In the aft position, I can open the tailgate even if the truck is not exactly parallel to the camper. With the hitch pushed back, I have a lot more room to get at the front storage compartment. And lastly, it seems to me that the camper reacts more quickly to steering inputs when backing with the pin being 10" behind the rear axle centerline rather than when it is centered over the axle, in the tow position. (Sort of like a bumper pull)

My Reese hitch slides easily, maybe because I have greased the heck out of it and use it all the time (but it does squeal as it slides). I know that Tom (TNFSolitude) had real problems with a similar but larger Reese for his Solitude and ended up switching to a Curt manual slider which now works well for him. I would certainly give both the Reese and the Curt serious consideration. The Reese Titan is their top of the line hitch. It has a larger cast top plate and large neoprene bushings between the head and base to absorb chucking.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    I almost went sidewinder route, double check trailer and pin weights, the 310 might be a bit much for a sidewinder.
    Could you elaborate? My Sidewinder is rated for a 3800 lb pin weight and a 19,000 lb trailer. Is there something else I should know?
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warsw1 View Post
    Could you elaborate? My Sidewinder is rated for a 3800 lb pin weight and a 19,000 lb trailer. Is there something else I should know?
    If they make a 19000 lb version, great. I remember when I was looking for the 303 it was a 16000 lb version. I know the Solitude's are a lot heavier then the Reflections so my comment was just a be sure... Personally I would never put a 5th wheel with a GVW of 15k-16K on a 16K kin pin. I like overhead...
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    If you have a short bed truck.....

1. Do you have a slider hitch?

1a. If yes... auto or manual?

2. If you don't have a slider do you wish you did?

Thank you.
    No and No...I went with a Sidewinder pin box instead. It works great and will not hit up to a 90 deg turn. One thing I have learned the hard way is, I had a 2012 chevy 4x4 standard box and it would not turn sharp enough going forward for a 5th wheel to make contact. My 2016 Ram 4x4 standard box will Which TV you have will make a difference.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res