User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running Antenna Wires

I want to mount a few antennas on the roof for wifi and cellular service. I would like them to end up in a central cabinet somewhere. I was thinking the one on the side of the hutch right when you walk in the door so my wifi is in the center of the trailer.

What would be the best way to run these cables from the roof to a cabinet inside?
    Adam & Juli
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2018 Ford F350 CCSB SRW
    Comfort Ride Hitch Model 184 and Reese Sidewinder

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way from the roof to the basement without drilling a hole in the roof is via the waste tank vent UNLESS GD started putting the conduit in like the solitude has. If you use the vent, drill a hole big enough for your cables in the basement as high up as you can, drop a pull string down the pipe find it and pull in cable up to the roof , seal the hole back up. You should be able to drill up through the floor under the hutch. Good luck

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Momentums and Solitudes have a prewire plate on the roof starting in 2017, hopefully you have this on the Reflection as well? You can always ask in the tech corner and get an answer directly from GD.
    We started with a old 24ft stick and tin in 2006, then purchased our first new trailer in 2013 with an Ecplise 23SCG thinking this would be our last trailer. That was until we unexpectedly took in a family members children on top of the 3 we had, so we now have 1 biological and 4 adopted children for a total of 5 children. So here we are, just purchased a new 2018 Momentum 388M to keep our sanity with seven people and two 100 lb dogs. We like primarily dry camping in the forest but try to take the children every summer for a 2-4 week adventure showing them different parts of the country. Thanks to my job as a Paramedic Firefighter I get to spend a lot of time camping with the children throughout the year.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clsfly View Post
    The only way from the roof to the basement without drilling a hole in the roof is via the waste tank vent UNLESS GD started putting the conduit in like the solitude has. If you use the vent, drill a hole big enough for your cables in the basement as high up as you can, drop a pull string down the pipe find it and pull in cable up to the roof , seal the hole back up. You should be able to drill up through the floor under the hutch. Good luck
    I was hoping to be in the cabinet in the overhang above the hutch but im not sure how i would go about it.
    Adam & Juli
    2018 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I ran my solar wiring through the roof and into our closet. You can do the same. Drill a hole from the hutch cabinet up through the roof. Go slowly and probe for electrical wiring as you go. At the opening in the roof, install a solar or wiring gland and seal it with lap sealant.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I ran my solar wiring through the roof and into our closet. You can do the same. Drill a hole from the hutch cabinet up through the roof. Go slowly and probe for electrical wiring as you go. At the opening in the roof, install a solar or wiring gland and seal it with lap sealant.

Jim
    o cool this is just what I was looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Link-Solar-We.../dp/B0111RNZDY

But i will need a total of 5 wires. Which did you use?
    Adam & Juli
    2018 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I only had two wires, but I'll bet someone makes something that will work for you. I'll be back home Sunday where I have better internet and I can help you with the search or show you how to create your own. You might also do a search for combiner boxes to see if they'll work.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazon Reviews of that gland don’t look very good.
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An ABS flange to an inverted U bend would make a rain-proof roof exit for any number of wires. If you pull the interior trim ring from the bathroom hatch vent, you might be able to see inside the roof cavity over hutch. I would use a long 1/4" drill bit from the inside to create the pilot hole and then a hole saw from outside and inside to create aligned holes of the final diameter. There are crosswise roof beams and AC ductwork to be missed in selecting the hole location .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    An ABS flange to an inverted U bend would make a rain-proof roof exit for any number of wires. If you pull the interior trim ring from the bathroom hatch vent, you might be able to see inside the roof cavity over hutch. I would use a long 1/4" drill bit from the inside to create the pilot hole and then a hole saw from outside and inside to create aligned holes of the final diameter. There are crosswise roof beams and AC ductwork to be missed in selecting the hole location .

Rob

This is the kind of recommendation i was looking for. I wonder if its possible to get a layout of wires and ductwork from GD?
    Adam & Juli
    2018 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast