User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Potty training, kitchen carpet replacement ideas needed.

We have adopted a little dog from Los Angeles. Potty training is not going as well as expected, looks like it is going to a very long project.

I am looking for ideas to replace the carpet under the table. I am thinking linoleum. My biggest problem is the material must have some flex to it to fit over the slide rub bar, and be able to slide along the kitchen floor without deteriorating.

This was supposed to be a temporary solution.

Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't help with the carpet, but have you tried crate training? I'd never tried it until a few months ago and it was amazing - less than two weeks and she had earned the run of the house. The crate is her safe space, too, and she often goes in there when she wants a little time to herself. We found a collapsable fabric crate either at walmart or chewy.com and it is her bed in the RV. (That is when she can't get someone to turn on the heat and let her on the theatre seats.)

Just google crate training and you'll find lots of information.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    but have you tried crate training? .
    Not specifically. We attempted to use the bathroom as a "crate". Bathroom door repair is on my man list. Because of her time as a lost dog she has huge separation anxiety. Bandits place is under the kitchen table. We added another electric heated dog bed next to his. As long as she is not "alone" she is ok. Bandit meets minimum requirements for not being alone.

We talked about a crate, but couldn't figure out where to put it. So we opted for a kid gate on the LR stairs and keeping the BR door closed. That has enclosed the kitchen.

Our little program is working, just not very fast. We have several months of poor condition conditioning to overcome. It will take time.

We have never liked carped under our tables. We have just been too lazy to do anything about it up to this point. Now we have extra motivation.
    Dallas

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    We have adopted a little dog from Los Angeles. Potty training is not going as well as expected, looks like it is going to a very long project.

I am looking for ideas to replace the carpet under the table. I am thinking linoleum. My biggest problem is the material must have some flex to it to fit over the slide rub bar, and be able to slide along the kitchen floor without deteriorating.

This was supposed to be a temporary solution.

Dallas:
    I don’t know it this will work or not but on my old camper I had to replace the flooring and used a rubber based “pergo”type flooring that I found at either Home Depot or lowes (don’t remember which). It was a wood grain type and looked really nice . A heck of a lot better then the linoleum that it replaced. What was nice about it is it was flexible not rigid like most flooring of that type and also made for wet locations (read doggie messes).
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't help with the floor replacement but... House breaking can be difficult, especially with a dog with issues. First thing I'd suggest (and you probably won't like it ) is to get rid of those darn pee pads. They reinforce peeing inside. If anything old newspaper and keep moving it closer to the door until it is outside near the base of the steps. Once the dog is used to peeing outside get rid of the paper. Try to create a schedule to go out to pee (the dog not you )
    Diligence watching for those tell tale signs of having to pee, swoop up the dog and put it outside. I don't envy you at all, little dogs can be so darned stubborn when it comes to housebreaking.
    Most important is pics, we need pics of this new family member!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Not specifically. We attempted to use the bathroom as a "crate". Bathroom door repair is on my man list. Because of her time as a lost dog she has huge separation anxiety. Bandits place is under the kitchen table. We added another electric heated dog bed next to his. As long as she is not "alone" she is ok. Bandit meets minimum requirements for not being alone.

We talked about a crate, but couldn't figure out where to put it. So we opted for a kid gate on the LR stairs and keeping the BR door closed. That has enclosed the kitchen.

Our little program is working, just not very fast. We have several months of poor condition conditioning to overcome. It will take time.

We have never liked carped under our tables. We have just been too lazy to do anything about it up to this point. Now we have extra motivation.
    Good luck and hang in there. They give us so much. They're worth the work to integrate them in to our families.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    Dallas:
    I don’t know it this will work or not but on my old camper I had to replace the flooring and used a rubber based “pergo”type flooring ... it was flexible not rigid like most flooring of that type and also made for wet locations (read doggie messes).
    I watched a you tube video about a product called Allure. Pergo type, has nothing to do with attracting pee. I am looking into putting in a sub-floor on top of the slide floor that will hold the flooring, I need to evaluate the slide movement more. It will be a while before I can do that because I have the RV skirt on now, I would have to remove it to slide.

Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    ... First thing I'd suggest (and you probably won't like it ) is to get rid of those darn pee pads. They reinforce peeing inside. ... Try to create a schedule to go out to pee (the dog not you )
    Diligence watching for those tell tale signs of having to pee, swoop up the dog and put it outside. I don't envy you at all, little dogs can be so darned stubborn when it comes to housebreaking.
    Most important is pics, we need pics of this new family member!
    Good information all. We have been really successful with the potty pads in the past. The main reason we don't use newspaper is it does not keep pee from getting on other surfaces, thus requires a second cleaning. They have a spray attractant that says come pee here, we use that.

I would love for her to be on a schedule. We tracked her potty habits for a 2 week period, recording each event, 1 or 2. What we discovered was she has no rhythm. Her time spent in kennels destroyed any concept of where/when. It will take a lot of time and patience to overcome this lack of discipline. We know the signs and watch her like a hawk, but still when she is not thinking about it she can squat and pee faster than we can holler or take a step. Like a recovering alcoholic, we measure progress in very small amounts.

Ok, some pics, maybe even a video or two. She really is a sweet heart, she really wants to please. It's just going to take a long time to get this right.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    Good luck and hang in there. They give us so much. They're worth the work to integrate them in to our families.
    Yes we know. We had a cat a number of years ago that had a congenital colon defect. Our son nicknamed it Crap Cat. During one our many vet visits the vet looked my wife dead in the eye and said: “I know it is a burden Mrs. Reid, but God has chosen you to take care of his troubled animals.“ I always wondered why she married me. Her loving heart is beyond measure. I am just the man behind the curtain that makes ******** work.

Back on track. I looked at some transition strips for flooring. Until I can observe the movement of the slide I am a little stuck for progress.

I see if I can't get some pictures posted.

Thanks for the support and the ideas.
    Dallas

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have posted Kota's story on the blog. I was restricted to 10 pictures.

Kota's Story
    Dallas