User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cost of the disc brakes seems like a lot . . . until you have to pay for the damage that having disc brakes would have prevented.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    ...However - I think it's safe to assume that disc brakes would out perform drums in that scenario and also in the scenario of repeated stops.

Tom
    Our stopping distance during a "panic stop" situation (both real-life and for the annual Texas vehicle inspection) was cut by more than half when the disc brakes were installed (by MOR/ryde along with the independent suspension). They also run much cooler as measured by a laser thermometer.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We had a disc brake installer show up at the Quartzsite rally. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the company. I was ready to have them installed until he made a comment that seemed to be inaccurate.

I recently changed my OEM bearings to Timken brand. When I asked the salesman what bearings they were using, he said he wasn't sure of the brand, but said they were "Chinese manufactured bearings". He went on to state that "Chinese bearings are much better than Timken bearings". After that comment I wasn't really sure I could believe any of his sales pitch.

I think I'd still like to do the conversion. But I'll do it myself and make sure that I use quality bearings while doing so.

Jim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 375res. What I did was switch to Dexter 8K lb axles, springs and hubs. The brakes on the 8K lb axles have almost twice the braking surface of the 7K lb axles. I also went to never-lube bearings so I wouldn’t have to deal with any issues of grease on the brakes. The brakes on the 8K axles will really stop this trailer. I don't know how they compare with the disk brake that some are installing but the new 8K lb axles and brakes are amazing. I also went with the MORryde heavy duty shackle kit with brass bushings and wet bolts. These are the axles that should have come on the 375res from the factory IMHO. There are other benefits when to going to the Dexter 8K axles that might interest you and may be worth looking into.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the Tampa RV Show, I had some interesting discussion with Bill Halasyn from Stop Your Trailer [email protected] (who many of us have purchased disc brake kits from) and Randy McMann from Dexter [email protected] The Titan electric/hydraulic disc brake business has been acquired by Dexter who will be the supplier of these parts under a slightly different name but keeping the "Titan" part. If you are thinking about upgrading to disc brakes, a conversation with Bill would certainly be worthwhile and with Dexter now supplying axles to GDRV, this would seem like an obvious match-up.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    I'm having some serious reservations about forking out the moola for disc brakes. I'm not so all fired hopping ready to get replace the drums on the 337 with discs. Tom
    Tom, I am in the same boat. I had disk brakes on my old 5th wheel so I know that they are a superior brake. I have my 376 scheduled for warranty and maintenance in March. When they pull the wheels and hubs I will be able to see for myself what's going on. I am a very cautious driver, particularly when towing. So I have been holding off on the conversion waiting to see if I need to upgrade the hubs and bearings also.

Of course I did not get the better tire, holding off hoping that they would be ok.

One issue that I had with my old 5th wheel was finding people who really knew what they were talking about. I am sure the folks Rob listed in his post know, local dealers not so much.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    ...I am a very cautious driver, particularly when towing.
    You can be the most cautious driver on the planet, but you can't control what other people do. We were doing the speed limit (55, if I recall) on a two-lane FM road in central Texas a couple of years ago when four young people in a compact car decided to pass both of us (my wife follows in the Toyota on travel days) crossing a double yellow line to do so. They pulled in about 10 feet in front of my bumper - barely clearing oncoming traffic - and slammed on the brakes to make a right turn into an NFS ranger station. There was almost a flat car and four fatalities with that one. Brakes are what saved their lives.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    You can be the most cautious driver on the planet, but you can't control what other people do. We were doing the speed limit (55, if I recall) on a two-lane FM road in central Texas a couple of years ago when four young people in a compact car decided to pass both of us (my wife follows in the Toyota on travel days) crossing a double yellow line to do so. They pulled in about 10 feet in front of my bumper - barely clearing oncoming traffic - and slammed on the brakes to make a right turn into an NFS ranger station. There was almost a flat car and four fatalities with that one. Brakes are what saved their lives.

Rob
    Talk about restraint Rob. I'm not sure how there weren't any fatalities after the successful braking experience after doing that to you.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A similar situation is what finally convinced me that I needed disc brakes. Driving in the right lane with nothing in front of me. Coming up the left lane is a small sedan with a fully lit fire engine behind him. Luckily I was already slowing because as soon as the sedan was past me he cut in and nailed the brakes to a complete stop (I guess he thought that was what he was supposed to do). I had the choice of pulling out in front of the fire engine or hoping I didn't flatten the sedan. There was no shoulder, only a guardrail. I got stopped just in time. Similar (but less severe) incidents since adding the trailer disc brakes have not been anything to take particular notice of. Cautious driving does not cover the need for emergency braking capability.

(another) Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Talk about restraint Rob. I'm not sure how there weren't any fatalities after the successful braking experience after doing that to you.
    Probably not so much restraint, Curtis, as other circumstances:

1) There were four of them and one of me - and they were less than half my age,
    2) I missed the turn into the ranger station and I don't think there would have been room in the small parking lot for me to turn the rig around,
    3) (Probably most important) I was probably shaking enough to make shooting accurately or landing a good punch difficult...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast