Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New member questions?

I just registered on this site to help research Grand Design RV's. We currently have a Tiffin motor home and are thinking about simplifying / downsizing and are interested in the Grand Design 295RL 5th wheel. Manufacturer claims it to be towable with a 1/2 ton? I have a 2013 Ford F-150 4wd, 3.31 gear, eccoboost engine, short bed, super crew. Does anyone have experience towing a 295RL with a similar tow vehicle? Any feedback will be appreciated.........

Gary Kincade

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Gary - And welcome to the forum. One of the key aspects of your tow vehicle will be the available payload. You can see this number on the tire sticker that is on the door. It will look like this:

In the example, the payload is 3,339 pounds. What is the payload of your specific F150? The hitch weight on an empty 95RL is listed at 1,391 pounds. By the time you load up the trailer, it will likely be pushing 1,800-2,000#. Let's say it's 1,900#, your hitch weighs 100#, passengers are 325#, cargo in the truck is 200#. When you add all those together, you'll be at 2,525# of payload. Do the numbers on your F150 allow for that kind of weight?

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Gary. Welcome to our group! You will get all kinds of advice. I agree with Jim. Check your data plate
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no where near my truck, but I had my son check the door sticker. Unfortunately my carrying capacity is 1,356 lbs. Not even in the ball park of towing that 5th wheel. Guess we will have to rethink. Maybe a smaller travel trailer.

Thanks for the advise...........