Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Panel Cable Routing

I have a Reflection 27RL and looking for a path to pull a #4 wire from the basement to the roof for solar panels. I am considering a path up along the vent stack pipe. Is this a good path, if not would Grand Design please give me a recommended path.
    Steve & Tara Smiley
    2014 3500 HD Silverado
    2017 Reflection 27RL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info! Will consider both options. Steve
    Steve & Tara Smiley
    2014 3500 HD Silverado
    2017 Reflection 27RL

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a state master plumber the advice given by grand design to drill into a vent line is very dangerous. A vent pipe's job is to allow gasses to escape and allow air in for proper drainage. Not as a chase for solar wiring. Just because a service manager said it was ok, does not make it safe.

Eric
    2015 F250 6.7 Power stroke
    2017 Reflection 367 BHS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always-Ready View Post
    As a state master plumber the advice given by grand design to drill into a vent line is very dangerous. A vent pipe's job is to allow gasses to escape and allow air in for proper drainage. Not as a chase for solar wiring. Just because a service manager said it was ok, does not make it safe.

Eric
    Recreational vehicle standards are specified by the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA). Grand Design RV designs and builds their units to the RVIA standards. RVIA states that RV plumbing system standards are specified in National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1192. Here are the two specific paragraphs in NFPA 1192 that I believe are applicable to this topic:

7.1.5 Prohibited Practices
    7.1.5.3 Drainage or vent piping shall not be drilled and tapped for the purpose of making connections.
    7.1.5.4 Cracks, holes, or other imperfections in piping and fittings shall not be concealed by welding, brazing, or soldering or by paint, wax, tar, or other leak-sealing or repairing agents.

I believe the paragraphs above prohibit the practice of drilling into a vent pipe, even if it's sealed after the wires are run.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, thanks, very good response and info, as a Quality Analyst the method of routing down a vent pipe did not set well with me. I will be using a bore scope to determine how the opening next to the vent pipe will pan out. If this fails I will have little choice but to use the vent pipe.
    Steve & Tara Smiley
    2014 3500 HD Silverado
    2017 Reflection 27RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Corrected Information

You can run the wiring down an interior wall, such as the bathroom wall, that would allow access to the wiring in the pass thru at the converter.
    Mailing & Shipping Address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 11356 CR 2, Middlebury, IN 46540
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

Contact us:
    - Call Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Send a fax to (574) 825-9249
    - Or email: [email protected]

*For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name and phone number.*

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Recreational vehicle standards are specified by the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA). Grand Design RV designs and builds their units to the RVIA standards. RVIA states that RV plumbing system standards are specified in National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1192. Here are the two specific paragraphs in NFPA 1192 that I believe are applicable to this topic:

7.1.5 Prohibited Practices
    7.1.5.3 Drainage or vent piping shall not be drilled and tapped for the purpose of making connections.
    7.1.5.4 Cracks, holes, or other imperfections in piping and fittings shall not be concealed by welding, brazing, or soldering or by paint, wax, tar, or other leak-sealing or repairing agents.

I believe the paragraphs above prohibit the practice of drilling into a vent pipe, even if it's sealed after the wires are run.

Jim
    Jim,

When Poppy was setting up plans for solar, I had mentioned that possible danger of mixing power with sewer off gas, especially the black tank. Most ignore the possibility of an issue.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you G-D, have a couple of questions.
    - How far from the vent pipe would be a good distance to drill hole, 2-6" for clearest path?
    - Would the converter need to be removed or would going through basement partition?
    - Would I be drilling through the roof and a second plate to get into the wall cavity?

Thanks for all the good info,
    Steve
    Steve & Tara Smiley
    2014 3500 HD Silverado
    2017 Reflection 27RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tjsmiley72 - please give our service department a call at 574-825-9679. I think this would be the best way to get your questions answered as well as any additional questions that may arise.
    Mailing & Shipping Address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 11356 CR 2, Middlebury, IN 46540
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

Contact us:
    - Call Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Send a fax to (574) 825-9249
    - Or email: [email protected]

*For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name and phone number.*

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok will give them a call. Thanks! Steve
    Steve & Tara Smiley
    2014 3500 HD Silverado
    2017 Reflection 27RL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast