Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We moved into a great lot ownership RV Park just 3 miles north of Vogel State Park (Rivers Edge I) last December in our new 2018 Solitude. The area is just wonderful. Even been using a golf cart to explore the surrounding areas. Keeping a 120gal propane tank filled for the winter.

Al & Roni

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a lot in Choestoe Falls RV Park just north of Vogel on 180. We have towed our 376 over Blood Mountain (129) when heading back to Florida. Yes it's twisty and steep but not a problem if you take your time. The truck has no problem with the climb and the exhaust brake keeps the decent under control. I much prefer this route to going around and through Atlanta!
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided to add a little since I live about 14 miles from Vogel State park. We camp there frequently for quick weekend getaways with little driving time. This is the most popular park in Georgia. There are some good campsites but many of them are VERY difficult to get into with a rig over 30 feet. Before 2018 it was first come first serve so you were rolling the dice if you got a good site. We ( and many others) would drive over on Thursday and stake out a site before the weekenders from farther off came in. I saw many people come in and then leave because all the spots that could accommodate a larger rig be taken. That has changed in 2018 and you can now reserve sites.....I have been suggesting this for years to the staff there. That being said, there is a multitude of good hiking trails in the park. The Appalachian trail is about four miles up the mountain. Blood Mountain is a very curvy road from the south on hwy 129 to get to the park but I do it with my 303RLS with no problems. There is a nice little lake that you can walk leisurely around. Biking not so good in the park but you will see hundreds of bicyclers training on the mountain in pretty weather. Plenty of motorized bikers on mountain also. The campground is quite and lends itself to what camping was when I was a little kid. No TV, Wifi is only a the store, and cell service is spotty at best. The park is peaceful and good for relaxing.
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used to live in Dahlonega myself and roamed the area. 129 doesn't bother me too much, used to drive firetrucks up it on a regular basis thanks to the motorcycles and bicycles you mentioned. That site was a bit tricky to get into and the tongue was practically on the ground to get it level, but we decided to make it work!
    You are right, lots of great hiking in the area. Still some off trailing to a few waterfalls I would like to do one day that I never got around to. Packing up though now in the Smokies to go full timing for a while and see what the rest of the country has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris and Karen - currently on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

Roaming the country full time with our 2018 312BHTS Reflection behind a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins and two preschoolers who are highly addicted to camping.

Follow our adventures @brownsignjunkies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reviews say the campground is pretty tight for 35 foot rigs. How was it for you guys?
    Scott and Cristy (future Texans)
    Dreaming of:
    RAM 3500
    Reflection 320MKS

http://airprayer.net/

https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ez...f8d0/event.png

But who's counting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by svanarts View Post
    The reviews say the campground is pretty tight for 35 foot rigs. How was it for you guys?
    We were in a pull thru, wasn't exactly a clean swing in and back out deal though. We managed with a bit of finesse and were able to get around the loop at the end of the road. Other than that it wasn't too bad getting around in the park. All though, we have tended to go to places that most people would have anxiety attacks going to, so it may be worse than what we think!
    There is one section that makes it clear nothing bigger than a pop up. We did pass on a few sites where there were trees at the site entrance that would have made swinging in backwards a little more challenging than we were up for. Didn't hurt that we pretty well had the pick of whatever site we wanted, would not be the case in peak times.
    Chris and Karen - currently on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

Roaming the country full time with our 2018 312BHTS Reflection behind a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins and two preschoolers who are highly addicted to camping.

Follow our adventures @brownsignjunkies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I mentioned, new for 2018 you can now reserve sites. There are photos of sites available also. Most of the sites along the large stream are accessible to our rig (303RLS). If you go up the hill on the other arm of the campground some of those get rather tight. All in all though if you go by the recommended max size you should be fine.
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We go to Vogel about twice a year and we live south of Atlanta, but I go about 30 miles out of the way and go 575 to 515 that goes west of Vogel. It's well worth it because you are on a 4 lane highway all the way to Blairsville, then you are only 12 miles to Vogel. There is a 12 mile streatch between Blue Ridge and Blairsville that has the dreaded concrete section highway and you can start to bounce pretty bad on that section. We have a 34 foot Imagine and to me one of the hardest parts of Vogel is the entrance! You have to be so careful not to hit the wooden guard rail on the passenger side. First time we took this camper up there we missed it by about 2 inches! I looked the next time we left the park and there are many "Scars" on that wooden guard rail. We have seen some huge campers in there, you just have to go slow and take your time. Our favorite campground!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Tamper....I know that section of 515 you are talking about. Because of the concrete sections you get into a resonance rhythm between the rig and the truck and it will bounce you to death. We get into it every time we go south from Blairsviile. You have two choices that I have found...drive over 70 (which scares the hell out of me pulling a 5th wheel) or slow down to about 50mph until you clear that section of the highway. Those speeds break the resonance pattern. And really, going across blood mountain on hwy 129North is not that big of a deal. As far as the scars on the guard rails....I destroyed a wheel going across the bridge crossing the big stream back in the campground. My fault...I was not watching close enough.
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

many a tire left on that bridge!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdawgfan View Post
    New Tamper....I know that section of 515 you are talking about. Because of the concrete sections you get into a resonance rhythm between the rig and the truck and it will bounce you to death. We get into it every time we go south from Blairsviile. You have two choices that I have found...drive over 70 (which scares the hell out of me pulling a 5th wheel) or slow down to about 50mph until you clear that section of the highway. Those speeds break the resonance pattern. And really, going across blood mountain on hwy 129North is not that big of a deal. As far as the scars on the guard rails....I destroyed a wheel going across the bridge crossing the big stream back in the campground. My fault...I was not watching close enough.
    I know which bridge you are talking about! We always camp in that little cul de sac there and a couple of years ago in the fall we were coming up and someone in 34 had a service truck at their site and I asked the lady there what happend (we were in 33) and she said this was their first trip pulling their brand new 5th wheel and here husband cut it to close coming across that bridge and ruined the wheel, tire, and I think did a little damage to the axle! Felt so bad for them! Even with all the tight turns and guard rails, still worth the trip there. Already have my site booked there for this October.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast