User Tag List

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan4 View Post
    I’m hating on you I wish I had the time an room to do this[emoji24] I love building a working with wood. Great work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a little space at the bottom of my property, and I don't have any kids. But in the long run you'll have a nice family and I'll only have an old camper. We're all right where we're supposed to be!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agpopp View Post
    The tape is from GD, here are the part numbers;
    Cross linen taupe
    1 inch
    6 inch

Micah Maple
    1 inch
    6 inch

All of the wood in these campers is MDF with wood grain tape on it, only the cabinet doors are real wood. The tape is like a good heavy contact paper and wraps nicely, I just took my time and wrapped it in one shot. It was cheap too, I think 50 cents a foot for the thin and 1.50 a foot for the wide.
    Micah Maple - how interesting......not only the tape but also the stain color used on the original Reflections (and still today I suspect) was named after Micah Staley.....the GM and all around great guy for the Reflection, Imagine, and Transcend lines.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew, Great information. Thank you and keep the updates on progress coming.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I finally got the weather I needed, had a 74 degree day with sun to boot AND wind that was never called for in the forecast! I was able to get the roof, plumbing vent, shower skylight, new Winegard roadstar antenna 1 manual and 3 power vents installed, and dicor sealed in about 5 hours. I had everything ready to go the night before and took a half day off of work since they were calling for rain the next 5 after and still only nudging 50 degrees once or twice in the next week.

I got home, hauled all of my roof accessories and the rubber and glue down to the camper. I took off my tarp and got right to work. I first unrolled the roof to the plumbing vent and the tv cable penetration to cut and mark them. I had the rubber in my house to keep it warm and I had precut the one end square so I wouldn't have to do it on the roof.

As soon as I marked everything, I rolled it back up and used a short nap roller and used almost an entire gallon of glue from the dicor kit I ordered from PPL in Texas. As soon as I finished the glue, I rolled out and smoothed out the roof. Almost simultaneously the wind picked up to 20-30 mph gusts!! I had to lay on the rubber to hold it down.....what an adventure. I had to pull the roof up (the glue is slow to bond so you can reposition it if needed) and get it all adjusted again. .....and of course the wind kept coming. I did get it on, and was left with a few ripples near the bathroom that I hope smooth out with temperature fluctuations. I did my best to get it done and am pretty pleased overall.

I didn't get to take a lot of pictures because of the time crunch and the wind but I have a few points about what I saw overall.

After being all over and into this rig, I really don't see anything specific that makes Grand Design stand out in any specific way. Most of the construction techniques I saw are standard issue RV. The way they trim the interior, the vacuum bonded rear wall and way they think about placement of the furnace exhaust, the little LED lights and touches are what makes the brand unique.

I have seen the way the wiring is tossed in without care, how the roof is standard thickness (paper thin non-structural) and is tucked under the cap so when the binding seal fails it will leak.....like all others, as well as the typical RV issue appliances and decal quality.

What I DID see that I really liked was the way they added a butyl sealing strip along the entire top edge of the exterior fiberglass filon/plywood sandwich to keep out water. That is a great step to stopping delamination and should be a minimum guarantee of ANY fiberglass walled rv manufacturer.

Anyway, I still have some work to do and woodwork to tackle, then I can finally check the plumbing systems.

Updates to come.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Andrew in the Burgh
    2015 Reflection 317RST...Auction Rebuild

See Thread Here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...795#post145795

2016 F350 CCLB DRW 6.7

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing...Simply amazing!
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andrew - Great information! as usual . . . sounds like you had quite a day .

What exactly are we looking at in the 3rd picture of post #74?
    Is that the back edge of the front cap? What is the green part?

Thanks
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job! Thanks for sharing this with us Andrew.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Andrew - Great information! as usual . . . sounds like you had quite a day .

What exactly are we looking at in the 3rd picture of post #74?
    Is that the back edge of the front cap? What is the green part?

Thanks
    Rob
    Thanks for the kind words. That IS the back of the front cap. I wanted to show how there is little thought given to what happens when the front binding strip seal fails. Water will go right into the front of the rig and closet. I eternabond the front and rear seams on all of the RVs I buy and will as soon as the dicor sets up a little better.

The green is ink on the side of the OSB they used at the factory, the stuff I got at lowes is blue on the edge. At least that's what I think you mean.

Andrew in the Burgh
    2015 Reflection 317RST...Auction Rebuild

See Thread Here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...795#post145795

2016 F350 CCLB DRW 6.7

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking great, can't thank you enough for taking the time to document and share the pictures here. Really appreciate it.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agpopp View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. That IS the back of the front cap. I wanted to show how there is little thought given to what happens when the front binding strip seal fails. Water will go right into the front of the rig and closet. I eternabond the front and rear seams on all of the RVs I buy and will as soon as the dicor sets up a little better.

The green is ink on the side of the OSB they used at the factory, the stuff I got at lowes is blue on the edge. At least that's what I think you mean.

I have thought about eternabond on my front and rear seams JIC. I have never been happy with the corners. Do you just go right over the existing self leveling dicor?
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast