User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I have an "RV preflight procedure" that I do every time. If I get interrupted I start it all over again. "

The 2nd sentence is very important for me now. I failed to "start over" one time after getting interrupted and pulled out of a camping spot heading home. Had a wonderful time all week, sad to leave, but here we go; what could go wrong?! As we are going down the road I look in the rear view mirror and ..... hmmm wonder why the steps on the trailer are down?! Life happens quickly !

Be safe.
    R Kaiser
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have done that stopping at rest areas. Not that hard to do. The handle is another one.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we stop along the way and leave the truck unattended I always do a walk-around & check everything. This includes making sure nobody pulled the dump valve handles so I don't get a "surprise!" when I take the cap off.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like everyone else I have made a few "booboos" and also believe in the tug test. We have a 300GK equipped with the 6 pt leveling syst (my 1st experience w/ this). When hitching up I retract the 4 rear jacks and extend the landing gear so the truck will fit under. After I'm hitched and start lowering the 5er I have noticed that once the weight is off the front landing gear that one side will continue retracting until it is up completely and the other side stays in contact with the ground and then it retracts. I don't see a way to have both a few inches off the ground to do a tug test. Has anyone figured out a way around this? I have been checking the jaws and just going for it.
    Rich
    Rich And Janet (no dog or cats, 8 grandkids but not with us all at once)
    Onalaska, WA
    2011 F350, 4X4, B&W hitch
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    My wife and I are fellow aviators so we also love our checklists. We have checklists for most routine events. When we leave for a trip we both review home checklist, AC thermostats set, Water Main Off, Water heater breaker off, Alarm set, Doors locked.

If you fly with me you will here me say "gear down, green lights" out loud at least 3 times on final approach.

I have an "RV preflight procedure" that I do every time. If I get interrupted I start it all over again.

I know I have 6 items to verify proper hitching of my Andersen hitch. I point and count them as I do final verification.

1- verify coupler lock is pushed in and twisted to locked position
    2- Umbilical cord is plugged in
    3- left safety chain connected
    4- right safety chain connected
    5- break away cable connected
    6- Tailgate up and latched
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Sorry to hear your troubles Chris.

Being a former aviator I love my check lists. One of the "always do this not matter what" checks is to visually inspect the hitch jaws. My hitch doesn't go clunk, so the visual inspection is the only method of insuring the hitch is connected properly. It's dark in there, so I have to turn on my phone flash light to see it properly. What a hassle, but I do it every singe time.

Another aviator here. Anyone want to share their checklist with me? Or is there a place on the forum for said checklists?

Dang with so many pilots on this forum do you guys hold rallies or fly-ins?
    Scott and Cristy (future Texans)
    Dreaming of:
    RAM 3500
    Reflection 320MKS

http://airprayer.net/

https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ez...f8d0/event.png

But who's counting?

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Bummer Chris. As a fellow (former) commercial driver, I know very well the tug test. Never know when evil doers would tug the handle just for "fun".

What do you primarily haul?
    If you use a lock instead of a pin, evildoers can’t do evil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Let me start with - I am a licensed Commercial Truck Driver with all the endorsements. I know better... But:

Last week, I did my yearly hitch maintenance, including pulling the head from the hitch and lubing it up. I put it back on, there were no issues. I was hitching up for our trip to the lake, and backed into the bed, got out, check and adjusted clearance to the hitch, and backed in. I heard the familiar CLUNK as I backed into the hitch...but something wasn't right. I got out, looked at the hitch, the lever was closed, and I put the safety pin into it. I walked to the back, inserted the plug, and closed the tailgate. I went to the control panel and retracted my gear. Turned on the headlights, and flashers, and did my safety walk around. Everything checked out. Lugs, lights, steps, latches...all good. We got in the truck, started to pull away, and WHAM!!!

The Pin Box crushed my tailgate.

What did I do wrong? I didn't hear the right sound from the hitch as it closed. You know what it is supposed to sound like for your hitch. I do for mine. Hundreds of times I have done it. I ignored a warning flag. I did not tug test the connection once I thought it was secure. Thirdly, when I put the umbilical cord into the bed, before I closed the tailgate, I did not look to see if my jaws were closed around the king pin.

Why did I miss it? I got complacent. My B&W hitch is a rock star. It never fails, and it didn't this time either. When I did my hitch maintenance, I did something I never do; I closed the jaws as I put the head back on and fastened it. I always leave the jaws open. Except the time I didn't.

I hope this helps.
    Chris
    Well, high pinning is common and happens a lot. Oops and the bright side is you’ll never do it again. The one thing that did surprise me is that you do annual hitch maintenance. Not enough in my book.

I also find that it’s impossible to high pin if you set the pin height so the pin box plate rides up the hitch plate. The pull test is always a good idea but getting a visual on the jaws is better.

So says the guy who has also done this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helped a lot, hearing that. Thank you brotha
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a quick and expensive lesson -- the blue hose (in Utah) is not diesel, it is gas! I filled up at Green River, UT with the blue hose and then wondered why it did not say diesel. Called the front and discovered my error. Did not start the truck. Had it towed to a local repair shop who also towed our 5er to a local KOA where we spent the night. Shop dropped and drained our tank. Total lesson cost was about $300.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    Here is a quick and expensive lesson -- the blue hose (in Utah) is not diesel, it is gas! I filled up at Green River, UT with the blue hose and then wondered why it did not say diesel. Called the front and discovered my error. Did not start the truck. Had it towed to a local repair shop who also towed our 5er to a local KOA where we spent the night. Shop dropped and drained our tank. Total lesson cost was about $300.
    Darn lucky you caught thst before you started the truck. $300 is very reasonable for a drain and fiver tow. I’m just paranoid about doing that too. I wish there was some rule that diesel pump handles must be the same color at ecery pump in every town in every state.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast