User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to the towing part - Thank you Good Sam Road Service. The local shop had a truck with a ball in the bed so we were able to use my Andersen Hitch to get to the KOA. KOA was $65/ night but I was OK with that. Motel was going to be a lot more. I also wish that the hose colors were uniform across the USA. I also remember when the Feds wanted all the highway strips in Colorado to be white like the rest of the country. We pointed out that it snowed a lot here and snow is white. Strips are now yellow.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, you and several others will appreciate this.

Once i was hitching to a 53’-102” trailer. Backed under, connected air hoses, electric cords, and cranked the landing gear up. Then did my normal pull test followed by the loudest boom I ever heard.

I dropped the trailer on its nose. Now it was late at night and I was all by myself. Do you know how hard it is to crank a loaded trailer by hand. Needless to say, I was worn out by the time I got back on the road? It’s funny now, but it wasn’t then.

Edit: Oh, I’ve never done that again.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few of those...only did it once...

Thankful that I am old enough to pay attention to other's mishaps to learn...sometimes tho, got to learn the hard way...LOL
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich T View Post
    Like everyone else I have made a few "booboos" and also believe in the tug test. We have a 300GK equipped with the 6 pt leveling syst (my 1st experience w/ this). When hitching up I retract the 4 rear jacks and extend the landing gear so the truck will fit under. After I'm hitched and start lowering the 5er I have noticed that once the weight is off the front landing gear that one side will continue retracting until it is up completely and the other side stays in contact with the ground and then it retracts. I don't see a way to have both a few inches off the ground to do a tug test. Has anyone figured out a way around this? I have been checking the jaws and just going for it.
    Rich
    The front landing gear are connected in series, to use an electrical analogy. When they aren't loaded, the right one, which is closer to the pump, operates first, then the left. Raise the gear until the right one is all the way up; now the left will start to raise. Stop when the left is an inch or two off the ground. Now lower the gear. The right one will, again, operate first, leaving the left where it is. When the right one is back down to about an inch or two off the ground, stop. You're now ready to do your pull test.
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can any of you veteran 5th wheel owners share your hook-up checklist? I too am a lists person, but I don't know what my husband and I need to check and re-check. Thanks for any insight.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My checklist is very simple: do it my way. If anything bad happens, blame the DW.

I don't have my real checklist with me, but when I get home, I'll pull it out and share.

The one MOST important thing is to verify that you are not high pinned by actually looking at the jaws of the hitch (don't rely on the flag on the hitch handle - it can show closed even though you are high pinned), followed by the pull test. At least that way, you wont have the fiver pulling loose, destroying your tailgate and bed and perhaps running amok and injuring someone. Lots of people skip actually looking at the hitch jaws - don't do that. Get a flashlight, bend over and look.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here you go:

INTERIOR:
    All Lights OFF
    Fans OFF
    Antenna down
    Windows locked
    Refrigerator locked
    Table Flap Down
    Microwave dish out of oven
    Dinette Chairs Secured
    All Shades UP
    TV Down
    Shower Door Locked
    Bathroom Door Secured Open
    Slides In
    Bedroom Door Closed
    Refrigerator Locked
    Inverter ON (for residential reefers)

EXTERIOR:
    Drain and flush black/gray tanks
    Power/Water/Sewer/Cable Disconnected
    Steps up and handle secured
    Set Nautilus Panel To “Dry Camping”
    Raise Rear/Center Level-Ups to full up
    Back truck into position
    Adjust front jacks to proper height for hitching
    Open Hitch
    Slowly back truck to engage hitch (I have a camera - if you don't, don't hesitate to get out a couple of times to check things out or have your favorite "guide" help out)
    Once hitch "locks", put truck in park and set brake
    Check safety flag on hitch
    Visually examine hitch jaws
    Insert safety pin into hitch (I prefer using a padlock for this)
    Do pull test
    Raise front jacks
    Hook up 7 way connector and break away cable - close tailgate
    Inflate airbags
    Running Lights ON & check all signal functions (I always run with my lights on)
    Final walk around check - all jacks fully raised, running lights on, all hatches secured and locked, door locked and handle in, nothing hanging under coach
    Insure TPMS, rear view camera and GPS are all programmed and working

Unless you are leaving a "one night stand", I suggest checking lug nut torque and tire pressure before you hit the road.

Hope this helps. I have several other steps I do that are specific to my model coach and you will need to add yours to this.

Safe travels

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the list. We have camped for years, but hooking up a 5th wheel is different.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123