Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for additional info for possible Solitude 310GK-R purchase this year

Hi,
    I sent some questions to GD but have not received a response so I thought I would ask the members here that have a Solitude.
    Thanks in advance!
    Gary

1. Are the slides hydraulic or electric? If electric is it cable controlled or a direct motor drive?
    2. Is the six point leveling system hydraulic or electric?
    3. Are the front landing legs mechanically coupled or do they each have their own hydraulic or electric motor?
    4. What is the charge capacity of the power center and is it a "smart" multi-stage charger? Or at least a 2-stage?
    5. What is the weight capacity of the rear hitch? Is it enough for a portable generator and bicycles at an estimated 175#?
    6. Are the slide mechanisms (gears, gear-coupler shaft, etc.) inside or outside the frame?
    7. I have had an issue on my current RV with the lower flange of the I-beam frame twisting at the spring hangers after many years of use (required correction and reinforcement). Can you tell me if the GD I-frame has additional support at the spring hangers to prevent this issue?
    8. Are the suspension shackles heavy duty and do they use grease-able bolts with bronze or "never-fail" bushings?
    9. Does the 310GK-R come with shock absorbers? If not are there already mounts so shocks can be added?
    9. Is the refrigerator fully or partially accessible when the slides are in on a 310GK-R?
    10. What is the approximate location of the fresh water tank? Forward or rearward of axles?
    11. IS there room in the battery area to hold two 6-volt T105 cells?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums. Some answers. Note: I have a 2018 310GK on order, but do not have the unit yet. I too will be interested in other peoples answers.
    Answers to most of your questions are covered in other threads on this forum. You can use the search function to find them. Here are answers to some of your questions off the top of my head.

1. Are the slides hydraulic or electric? If electric is it cable controlled or a direct motor drive? Hydraulic for the two main slides and electric (Schwintec) for the bedroom.
    2. Is the six point leveling system hydraulic or electric? Hydraulic
    3. Are the front landing legs mechanically coupled or do they each have their own hydraulic or electric motor? They are independent to allow side to side leveling. Hydraulic system has one motor/pump for jacks and slides and a electrically controlled manifold to direct the pressure.
    4. What is the charge capacity of the power center and is it a "smart" multi-stage charger? Current brochure says 75 amp. I have not verified. Or at least a 2-stage? Brochure says three stage.
    5. What is the weight capacity of the rear hitch? Is it enough for a portable generator and bicycles at an estimated 175#? I do not know. There is at least one thread on here about adding rear hitches. You can find it with the search function (upper right area just below the Grand Design logo). As huntr70 correctly pointed out, there is no hitch stock or as a factory option (that I know of).
    6. Are the slide mechanisms (gears, gear-coupler shaft, etc.) inside or outside the frame?
    7. I have had an issue on my current RV with the lower flange of the I-beam frame twisting at the spring hangers after many years of use (required correction and reinforcement). Can you tell me if the GD I-frame has additional support at the spring hangers to prevent this issue?
    8. Are the suspension shackles heavy duty I would say no. They are fairly light. and do they use grease-able bolts yes on the shackle end only and on the equalizer itself with bronze or "never-fail" bushings? I think they are plastic. Again, thee is a thread on the forum about this.
    9. Does the 310GK-R come with shock absorbers? No If not are there already mounts so shocks can be added? Not that I recall
    9. Is the refrigerator fully or partially accessible when the slides are in on a 310GK-R? <strike>Left door is not accessible. Right door can be partially opened with the slide in.</strike> Oops, that was for the RV refrigerator, not the residential the OP asked about.
    10. What is the approximate location of the fresh water tank? Forward or rearward of axles?
    11. IS there room in the battery area to hold two 6-volt T105 cells? Plenty of room in the forward storage compartment for two or more batteries, but only one box and battery is provided from Grand Design. Dealer or you can add additional.

Great looking trailer. Hope you enjoy it.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add to this...

Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    Welcome to the forums. Some answers. Note: I have a 2018 310GK on order, but do not have the unit yet. I too will be interested in other peoples answers.
    Answers to most of your questions are covered in other threads on this forum. You can use the search function to find them. Here are answers to some of your questions off the top of my head.

1. Are the slides hydraulic or electric? If electric is it cable controlled or a direct motor drive? Hydraulic for the two main slides and electric (Schwintec) for the bedroom.
    2. Is the six point leveling system hydraulic or electric? Hydraulic
    3. Are the front landing legs mechanically coupled or do they each have their own hydraulic or electric motor? They are independent to allow side to side leveling. Hydraulic system has one motor/pump for jacks and slides and a electrically controlled manifold to direct the pressure.
    4. What is the charge capacity of the power center and is it a "smart" multi-stage charger? Current brochure says 75 amp. I have not verified. Or at least a 2-stage? Brochure says three stage.
    What is the weight capacity of the rear hitch? Is it enough for a portable generator and bicycles at an estimated 175#?
    I do not know. There is at least one thread on here about rear hitches. You can find it with the search function (upper right area just below the Grand design logo)There are no rear hitches on Solitude's.

6. Are the slide mechanisms (gears, gear-coupler shaft, etc.) inside or outside the frame? Inside the frame, in the enclosed underbelly.

7. I have had an issue on my current RV with the lower flange of the I-beam frame twisting at the spring hangers after many years of use (required correction and reinforcement). Can you tell me if the GD I-frame has additional support at the spring hangers to prevent this issue?Yes, there are braces welded between the web and center where the shackle flanges attach.

8. Are the suspension shackles heavy duty I would say no. They are fairly light. and do they use grease-able bolts yes on the shackle end only and on the equalizer itself with bronze or "never-fail" bushings? I think they are plastic. Again, thee is a thread on the forum about this.
    9. Does the 310GK-R come with shock absorbers? No If not are there already mounts so shocks can be added? Not that I recall
    9. Is the refrigerator fully or partially accessible when the slides are in on a 310GK-R? Left door is not accessible. Right door can be partially opened with the slide in.On the "R" model, you can get into the right side easily. Left side opens partially. No to the freezer.

10. What is the approximate location of the fresh water tank? Forward or rearward of axles? Forward.

11. IS there room in the battery area to hold two 6-volt T105 cells? Plenty of room in the forward storage compartment for two or more batteries, but only one box and battery is provided from Grand Design. Dealer or you can add additional.

Great looking trailer. Hope you enjoy it.

Chris
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't ask about weights but looks like you are doing some detailed research and here is my weighting of a 310GK that was lightly loaded for week long trip.

http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...-Scale-Weights

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10. What is the approximate location of the fresh water tank? Forward or rearward of axles? Forward.

huntr70, Are you sure the fresh water tank is in front of the axles? The only reason I question that is the fresh water dump (drain) valve is located behind the street side rear wheel. I thought that would indicate the tank was either over or behind the axles. Thank you for the information. Inquiring minds ant to know.

9. Is the refrigerator fully or partially accessible when the slides are in on a 310GK-R?
    <strike>Left door is not accessible. Right door can be partially opened with the slide in.</strike><strike></strike>On the "R" model, you can get into the right side easily. Left side opens partially. No to the freezer.

Opps. I have been looking at units with the RV refrigerator. The residential refrigerator (which is what the OP specified) is different. Thank you for the correction.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked at the bottom of my 2017 310GK and I think the fresh water tank is either on the rear axle or partially aft of the rear axle. As Chris mentioned above, the dump handle is located aft of the rear axle on the street side.
    Tim & Lynn
    Western NY
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    2022 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 6.6L Turbo Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a picture of the slide mechanism on the curb side of the 310GK (dinette and theater seating are in this slide).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180130_1009125.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	11193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180130_1009125.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	11193
    Tim & Lynn
    Western NY
    2017 Solitude 310GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the responses! I appreciate you taking the time.
    CWSWine - Yes I have reviewed you post previously. My SRW F350 will be close. Perhaps a DRW is in the future for me once I retire and travel more.
    Tim340 - For some reason I am not authorized to view the jpegs. I will look into why this is the case.
    CoChris - Thx for the answers. As long as I can get into one side of the refer that will work great for quick lunch stops while on the road. I ask about the location of the water tank since occasionally I need to carry water and was wondering what a full tank would do to pin weight. I usually try to fill up near the camp location if possible so not a big worry.
    Gary

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garyl53 View Post
    Thanks all for the responses! I appreciate you taking the time.
    CWSWine - Yes I have reviewed you post previously. My SRW F350 will be close. Perhaps a DRW is in the future for me once I retire and travel more.
    Tim340 - For some reason I am not authorized to view the jpegs. I will look into why this is the case.
    CoChris - Thx for the answers. As long as I can get into one side of the refer that will work great for quick lunch stops while on the road. I ask about the location of the water tank since occasionally I need to carry water and was wondering what a full tank would do to pin weight. I usually try to fill up near the camp location if possible so not a big worry.
    Gary
    I'm sorry, I believe you have to be a "site sponsor" to view and post pictures. Post#3 above from Huntr70 is correct regarding slide mechanism location - I was just trying to show you a pic of it...

Tim
    Tim & Lynn
    Western NY
    2017 Solitude 310GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK Thx. Didn't understand about Site Sponsor. I will take care of that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast