Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dallas to Seattle

Planning a trip from Dallas to Seattle starting around Feb 26th. First time with a TT. My planned route is to go northwest and connect to I 40 in Amarillo and then west. Probably spend a couple of days near Vegas. Then continue west to Bakersfield before turning north. I-5 Or 99 to Stockton? From there I'd like to shift further west to get on 101 with a stop in Eureka. At some point I will need to shift back over to I-5 and continue up to Seattle. Any recommendations on alternative routes, or stops, or things I should consider would be welcome. I've done a bit of searching through other threads, and didn't find a no kidding, absolute best travel planning app. I will follow several of the recommendations for web sites to use for planning, but not so sure trusting my GPS and Google Maps to get and keep me on the right track is the best plan. I have Gas Buddy for finding/planning fuel stops, but this is not optimal when towing a trailer.
    Dave & Debi
    2005 Chevy 2500 HD diesel
    2018 GD 2600RB

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seattle area has limited RV parks, make a reservation early. Near Vegas be sure to visit the Red Rock Canyon Conservation area. If you don't want to stay in town there is a new RV park at the gun range north of town.

GPS, trust but verify.

Do some research on heading east off the 101, some of those roads are very narrow and curvy. Lots of little hills.

If you don't already have one thing about getting the annual National Park Pass, $80, if you like National Parks and forests at all it will pay for itself.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Seattle area has limited RV parks, make a reservation early. Near Vegas be sure to visit the Red Rock Canyon Conservation area. If you don't want to stay in town there is a new RV park at the gun range north of town.

GPS, trust but verify.

Do some research on heading east off the 101, some of those roads are very narrow and curvy. Lots of little hills.

If you don't already have one thing about getting the annual National Park Pass, $80, if you like National Parks and forests at all it will pay for itself.
    Thanks. Park pass definitely. Vegas to visit friends, kinda been there done that. I was actually thinking I'd not go all the way in to Vegas if there is a decent place South of town. It's just a quick stop to say hello and visit. Good Sam trip planner has me taking 199 out of Crescent City to Grants Pass. Are there any issues along that route? I have reservations at an RV park in Lynnwood, WA for the Month of March, 1st grandchild due around March 5th. This is just a trip to get there with stops to rest and visit family and friends along the way. Plan to take it a little slower and a different route on the way back.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Dave & Debi
    2018 GD 2600RB

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That will be a pretty safe route this time of the year. If you get into the interior west, you need to watch for snow and ice. Since you have a diesel, you can pull into most Pilot/Flying J's and fill up in the diesel lanes if they don't have an RV lane. You'll pay a little more, but it's nice to have room to maneuver.

Jim

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    That will be a pretty safe route this time of the year. If you get into the interior west, you need to watch for snow and ice. Since you have a diesel, you can pull into most Pilot/Flying J's and fill up in the diesel lanes if they don't have an RV lane. You'll pay a little more, but it's nice to have room to maneuver.

Jim
    Thanks

Dave & Debi
    2018 GD 2600RB

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D2-Couple of good parks to stay in Bakersfield; Orange Grove east of Town on highway 58, Bakersfield RV Resort in town.
    I would take I5 (eye5) north, open country and Harris Ranch is a great steakhouse near Coalinga. Great wineries in Paso Robles if you decided to take hiway 101, but you'll see plenty of those when you get north of San Francisco.
    Here's the route we took last summer and had a blast.
    I5north to I580 westbound, highway 4 north, I680 north across the bridge, I780 west, 37 west through the refuge, hiway 121 north through Sonoma, hiway 12 to US101 north.
    Yes you will run into traffic, but this is the best route we've found so far.
    Of course you'll have a better time if you can go through the Bay Area on a weekend.
    Avenue of the Giants Redwood groves will blow your mind, We didn't think much of Eureka, but Ferndale & Trinidad are great places to see.
    We stayed at Sounds of the Sea in Trinidad/Patrick's Point, great spot.
    If I were you, I would stay on 101 to Crescent City and take US199 back over to Grants Pass & I5. I've never been on on 199, but don't think it's any worse than the other routes between 101 & I5. Google says it's only 2 hours in a car.

Try tripmaker.randmcnally.com, using it to plan our Alaska trip this summer and it seems to work pretty good, not perfect but don't think any of them are.
    John, Susan & Luke
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS #867
    Bakersfield, CA

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John612 View Post
    D2-Couple of good parks to stay in Bakersfield; Orange Grove east of Town on highway 58, Bakersfield RV Resort in town.
    I would take I5 (eye5) north, open country and Harris Ranch is a great steakhouse near Coalinga. Great wineries in Paso Robles if you decided to take hiway 101, but you'll see plenty of those when you get north of San Francisco.
    Here's the route we took last summer and had a blast.
    I5north to I580 westbound, highway 4 north, I680 north across the bridge, I780 west, 37 west through the refuge, hiway 121 north through Sonoma, hiway 12 to US101 north.
    Yes you will run into traffic, but this is the best route we've found so far.
    Of course you'll have a better time if you can go through the Bay Area on a weekend.
    Avenue of the Giants Redwood groves will blow your mind, We didn't think much of Eureka, but Ferndale & Trinidad are great places to see.
    We stayed at Sounds of the Sea in Trinidad/Patrick's Point, great spot.
    If I were you, I would stay on 101 to Crescent City and take US199 back over to Grants Pass & I5. I've never been on on 199, but don't think it's any worse than the other routes between 101 & I5. Google says it's only 2 hours in a car.

Try tripmaker.randmcnally.com, using it to plan our Alaska trip this summer and it seems to work pretty good, not perfect but don't think any of them are.
    I have a cousin working in Eureka. Thanks for this information it will be helpful.

Dave & Debi
    2018 GD 2600RB

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a retired Air Force guy, I can stay at Military FAM Camps, which are about 1/2 the cost of most RV parks. They may not be all that glamorous, but for a 1 or 2 night stay, more than sufficient, and safe. So I down loaded an app called UC Military CG. What a treasure that was. Through it I discovered Camp Rilea Military Reservation on the Oregon coast west of Portland. So my question is leaving Eureka, do I stay on 101 and enjoy the coast line drive, or turn as planned at Crescent City and get back to I-5? I know Eureka to Portland isn't that far, but I am trying to ease myself into Seattle, where I expect a lot of traffic. This is a solo trip and I want to keep the white knuckle experiences to a minimum.
    Dave & Debi
    2018 GD 2600RB

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I just answered my own question when I plugged Eureka to Clatsop Station. 9+ hours using I-5, along the cost would be even longer.
    Dave & Debi
    2018 GD 2600RB

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D2, The Oregon coast is fun to drive up and there is a good Aviation museum at Tillamook. Also a nice campground at Pacific, WA. at the old Navy base, then drive out to I-5 though Aberdeen to Olympia at I-5 and hang on. Have you checked into PassPort America?
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast