User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    Nice installation. How did you mount the monitor? I can't find a spot for anything bigger than 4.5".

I ran the wires for side cameras but haven't installed them since I haven't figured out the monitor. Do you find them useful?
    I've got the monitor sitting on a cup holder base with suction mount on top of that. It wobbles a bit so I'll probably look firm it up later with a different mount.
    For dashboard items like GPS, Tire Minder, etc. I used a Bayou Goat mount(RAM only it looks like).

I like the side cameras, I can see further back & hope I'll see anything go astray with the trailer tires.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1089.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	11313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1090.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	11314
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    I've got the monitor sitting on a cup holder base with suction mount on top of that. It wobbles a bit so I'll probably look firm it up later with a different mount.
    For dashboard items like GPS, Tire Minder, etc. I used a Bayou Goat mount(RAM only it looks like).

I like the side cameras, I can see further back & hope I'll see anything go astray with the trailer tires.
    Thanks for the link. That gives me some ideas.

My last truck didn't have a console so I mounted a 7" screen down low and it worked well. I had side cameras mounted on the overhang all the way to the front of the fiver and it worked pretty well. The side of the RV was in the frame and there was often a reflection. Putting the cameras down low on the black stripe like you have done should avoid that. I found them most useful for backing in my narrow gate as you could see exactly where you were headed. I've thought about putting a camera on the belly by the rear axle to see exactly where the wheels are. Nice to be able to experiment with these cheap cameras.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I like this one because it's magnetic and I can move it around.
    This wouldn't work if you wanted something to constantly monitor the rear view because it runs off a 4 hour battery.
    I guess if you wanted to you could hard wire the power but that defeats the purpose of this being so portable.

If you just use a camera now and then for short periods, you can pop it on the toolbox and use it to see the fifth wheel hitch when you're backing up.
    Or stick on your rear bumper to see your boat trailer, or if you're alone and need to get close to something up front, you can pop it on the front bumper
    or the hood. It has a range of 100 feet so you could use it on the back of the RV for a backup cam or stick it on the roof somewhere and use it as an
    observation camera to watch the grand kids.

iBall Wireless Camera

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61o4nFaAK0L._SL1100_.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	11320
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the Garmin 660RV GPS. It came with a camera. I mounted the camera on one of the hinge bolts for the ramp on our 380TH. The view works ok. I wish Garmin would update it so I could adjust the magnification a bit stronger. It works pretty go for when passing on the freeway.
    I powered it with the trailer running lights. I the parking lights are on, I can turn the camera feature on or off with the GPS.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got the Furrion Observation model. It installed very easily in the GD factory prep bracket for it on our trailer. Pleased with it, the picture is clear and reliable.

Although I haven't noticed any video lag in the Observation model, it's worth nothing that the camera isn't made for watching traffic behind you. It shows only about ten feet or so behind the trailer. You don't need a camera for anything you can see in your mirrors; safer to use the mirrors too.

The other FYI I can offer is that GD factory prep simply taps the trailer's lighting harness to power the camera, so you don't see anything from the backup camera unless you turn on the vehicle's / trailers lights to power up the camera.

Neither of these are problems IMO. Pleased with the purchase.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to check that your camera is only powered when the lights are on. Mine is wired directly in to the 12 volt buss and there is no way to power it down. I ran video and power lines to the cab and tied them in to the upfitter switches. I can use the camera enroute or shut it down either with an upfitter switch or by disconnecting the camera umbilical cable.
    John and Jean

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    We got the Furrion Observation model. It installed very easily in the GD factory prep bracket for it on our trailer. Pleased with it, the picture is clear and reliable.

Although I haven't noticed any video lag in the Observation model, it's worth nothing that the camera isn't made for watching traffic behind you. It shows only about ten feet or so behind the trailer. You don't need a camera for anything you can see in your mirrors; safer to use the mirrors too.

Neither of these are problems IMO. Pleased with the purchase.
    The camera angle is adjustable up and down so if you adjust it up you can see farther behind. I have mine adjusted so I can still see the bikes and also see much more than ten feet behind. If it was daylight now, I'd go out and measure just how far behind I can see in it's current position.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    I've been stalking this set-up. I really would like to be able to see my tires.

Can you actually see your tires from the location(s) that you have your side cameras mounted?
    La Porte, TX

2013 Ford F-250 SD SRW 4x4 6.7
    ARE Z Series Truck Cap w/Yakima Roof Rack
    CargoGlide 1500XL Full Extension Bed Slide
    Firestone 2535 Ride Rite Air Helper Spring
    2017 Reflection 297RSTS
    EasyStart 366 x05 Soft Start Kit (on both A/C's)
    Honda EU2000i w/tri-fuel kit
    Honda EU2000i Companion w/tri-fuel kit

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SouthTX, is it very hard to wire into the upfitter switch? That would be the perfect solution to turn it on and off.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckySteve View Post
    SouthTX, is it very hard to wire into the upfitter switch? That would be the perfect solution to turn it on and off.
    The hardest part was figuring out what was what and where. There's a Ford TSB that tells which wire is powered by which switch. The wires are tied up under the fuse box under the left side of the hood. Cut that tie wrap and pick out the wire/switch you want to connect to.

There's a rubber grommet in the firewall near the drivers left toe. I was unable to fish any wires through it as it seems to have a bend in it, but I was able to pry back the edge of the grommet and run some wires in split loom around it. At that point it is just a matter of connecting stuff and hiding the wires under carpet and door gaskets. I put my monitor/rear camera on switch #1 and TPMS on #2.

If you need to run wires to the back of the truck, it is easy to pop off the door sill and drill a hole that is covered by it.

I have heard that there are also upfitter connections near the fusebox in the right side footwell, but I was unable to find them. If you just need a hot connection on the right side, I believe fuse #37 is hot with the ignition on and it is easy to add a tap a fuse connection there.

I powered my camera and monitor from the #1 upfitter switch. I have LED floodlights mounted on either side of the camera and I powered them from the reverse pin in the umbilical cable junction box under the pin box. No chance of accidentally leaving them on while driving down the road. I ran everything in split loom down the belly - easy to tie wrap to the bolts that hold up the coroplast belly. When I got to the rear corner, I ran the wires under the plastic screw cover strip - be sure to secure it with a few dabs of silicone. When I got to the roof I went back in split loom and ran wires to the camera and each floodlight. I used the adhesive squares and tie wraps to secure the split loom across the back. FWIW, the original hole under the camera mount is a good place to bring in any antenna leads and there is power available from the original camera power wiring. I sealed the hole with silicone and mounted the camera over the hole with a gasket cut from an old inner tube.

EDIT: I think this link is a later TSB https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17797116
    John and Jean

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast