User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    The park is old with regards to the size of your typical RV back-n-the-day that was probably not more than 40' total. To Disney's credit, they have widened and lengthened the sites' pads. However, there's only so much real estate and Disney has no plans to consolidate sites in order to more easily accommodate the latest generation of aircraft carrier size 5er's being towed by an additional 25+ feet of TV. As was stated, the roads are a bit on the narrow side both main and site loop roads. And yes, most sites are fairly easy to back in. HOWEVER, there are some sites that are easier than others due to the aforementioned garbage can, fence post, site markers and that freakin' cedar tree that was 18" off to the right of my pad that I almost got out my chainsaw and did others a favor and cut it down! ARRRGGGGHHHH.... Personally, I like the sites that are on the inside of the loop since I can get a bead on the driver side of my unit while backing. The outside loop sites, for me, are problematic in that you really can't see where the drivers side of the RV is until the TV is straightened - hope that makes sense.

Tom
    This!! If possible check in as early as possible. I try and get there by 11am. Last summer, the first site they assigned there was no way I was getting in. I headed back to the "front desk" (not the check in gate), they have a book with every camping loop blown up with length info for each site. They rattled off some available or soon to be available sites and I picked a few that looked good from the book and headed back out. We picked one that worked and parked. I just had to call the front desk and tell them which one we chose. If you get there too late that option may not be available.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know this. Great info everyone. Glad there is a lot of seasoned vets here
    2023 Ram 2500 Mega diesel
    2023 Imagine 2910
    Gone but not forgotten:
    2018 Imagine 2400BH - with chaise lounge

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seasoned ft wilderness veteran. We live two hours away so we go multiple times per year. I'm in my 30's and my kids are 3 and 6.

First, plan to spend a day or two just at the campground, plenty to do for all ages. You will need breaks in Between days at the parks with 3 kids. Also, you can see a great view of the magic kingdom fireworks from the beach at the campground, no need to stay late in the park and fight the crowds. The beach always has plenty of room.

Second, it will still be plenty hot, the big pool is one of the best attractions. There's a bar at the pool too. Kids pool is awesome.

Third, but should have been first, with young kids, golf cart is a must. We have gone with and without a cart, you will see so much more with the cart. If you are staying an extended period, you can rent from outside vendors, google tee time golf cart rental. They are in Clairmont and have weekly rates. Delivery can be complicated, just read the website. They also have 6 person carts.

Fourth, hilda is well known, but in my loop of friends she hasn't always been reliable. Also, hilda arranges cart rental through the company I mentioned above.

For food, it's expensive no matter where you go on Disney property. If you can swing it, I just did the mickeys backyard BBQ. It's on the campground property and totally geared towards kids in your family's age range. Simple description, all you can eat food, food was decent, experience for the kids was awesome. Also it's all you can drink beer and wine for the adults.

As far as choosing a site, we have a shorter trailer so it's never been a problem.

We always check in early on the day of arrival, just show up and there is usually availability. If for some reason you can't check in early but arrive early they have a huge parking lot you can park in and go enjoy the resort.

In the parks, go on the weekdays if you can so you don't have to fight the crowds as much. Considering the kids ages my go to list is magic kingdom, animal kingdom, the others are more adult oriented. Not sure if you can exchange a ticket, but you may consider a water park in the mix.

Other places to go, google disney springs, it's a fun shopping area full of kids themed restaurants, entertainment and everything Disney. You can take a bus from the resort which I recommend so you don't have to fight for parking.

Since your last visit was 2006, be careful for these things called magic bands. They have a tendency to make your credit card start smoking. They link a credit card to the adults bands and you can pay for anything at any Disney property by letting them scan your band. It looks and fits on your wrist like a watch. It will also include all your park tickets so make sure the kids don't lose theirs.

If you only read one part of this, golf cart golf cart golf cart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post Sweedish....Any suggestions on restaurants? We are not doing the dining plan but were looking at the following: Ohana, Be Our Guest for lunch, (Garden Grill or Tusker House). Rest of the time, probably eat at the camper. We are open to suggestions. Here is what we are thinking:

Saturday - Travel Day - TN to FL state line, stop overnight at campsite
    Sunday - Travel the remaining 3 hours, Arrive and set up camper, let the kids swim, etc.
    Monday - Animal Kindom - Possible Tusker House for dinner
    Tuesday - *Epcot or Disney Springs - poss dinner at Garden Grill
    Wednesday - Magic Kingdom - Lunch at Be our Guest, rest dinner at camper, go back to park (I think this is magic hours day)
    Thursday - Rest, swim, camper, possible evening shopping at Disney Springs
    Friday - *Epcot or Disney Springs - poss dinner at Garden Grill
    Saturday - Depart, Travel home

Wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this and if any changes or recommendations to be made
    2023 Ram 2500 Mega diesel
    2023 Imagine 2910
    Gone but not forgotten:
    2018 Imagine 2400BH - with chaise lounge

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to plan a dinner at Disney springs, the kids always like the trex or rain forest cafe restaurant. Lots of other restaurants there as well, we usually enjoy the two I mentioned.

We have never done the be our guest dinner so you will have to let me know.

Otherwise, food in the park can get expensive quick, your site will have a picnic bench and we always enjoy a meal or two at camp where we have some room to stretch out.

If you end up in Epcot my two favorite restaurants are in Mexico. The Mexican restaurant on the water has a great view of the nightly Epcot fireworks if you can time it right. The other Mexican restaurant is in a Aztec pyramid, totally cool atmosphere. They specialize in tequila which always helps with the patience meter. This restaurant also has a ride inside the building you can go on while you wait for a table.

also forgot to mention they play a Disney movie on a big projection screen every night at the camp ground. You will get a movie list for the week when you arrive. We always try to plan on seeing one movie, depending on what's playing. Movie night=picnic dinner w the kids.
    Last edited by Sweedish15; 03-26-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only world of advice for camping at Fort Wilderness Campgrounds is, Bring your Bikes.

We did 2+ weeks there last October with our 3yr son. He had an amazing time. He loved the campfire sing a long with chip n dale. We were in the 400 loop (close to the boat docks) so we could easily walk to the beach, Settlement, and Docks. It was a 5 min walk to the pool, campfire and such. He was on a strider bike at the time and he would ride that as we followed along walking or on our bikes. Golf Carts are great, but at $60 a day not worth the cost IMHO.

As we were traveling with a small child when we went to other parks we would drive (free parking at other parks) OR take the Minivan service (Disney Lyft service). There were AMAZING. When were were there it was in a pilot program but a cast member unlocked my Lyft app to allow us to use it. I believe now its available to all guests on Disney property.
    2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
    • B&W Compainion
    • Trimble Suspension
    • Ownice Navigation

2018 Grand Design Reflection 28BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sitting here right now, my 6th time here and it's just as good as my first. There are a good number of Grand Designs camping right now....anyone else here too?

Try to get a premium site so that you don't get the crushed sea shell all over your camper.

I'm a fan of bikes, the cart is cool but costs 60 bucks a day.

Pack a full fridge and cooler as you won't want to leave for any reason, it's just too cool of a place. If you do have to leave, there is a Publix north of the Fort and is easy to get to using Vista Boulevard.

Avoid any site near a basketball hoop!

Get a site on the outside of the loop for more privacy so the traffic isn't facing your awning.

Eat at the trails end at least once, or if you're up for a splurge, book the Hoop de Doo review dinner show where they serve the same food plus unlimited beer.

Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Andrew in the Burgh
    2015 Reflection 317RST...Auction Rebuild

See Thread Here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...795#post145795

2016 F350 CCLB DRW 6.7

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on getting a spot on the outer edge of a loop, never thought of that but have always had an outer spot by chance.

I love the golf cart but as others said it is expensive. We are weekend warriors so we try to see/do as much as we can in 3 days. If we were staying an extended period I may only keep the cart on days we spend at the campground.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few tips not already mentioned:
    1. Highly recommend checking touringplans.com for their predicted crowd levels at each park on each day of your trip. It's amazing how choosing the right park on the right day can really impact your trip. They have a great app too that you can use while there to see the estimated wait times at all the attractions; disney has an app too that tells wait times, but I've found the Lines app from touringplans to be much more accurate.
    2. Re: the Halloween party. First, it's great-- best parade they do, great character opportunities, less ride wait times. Highly recommend. Second, you should know that although the party doesn't start until 6-7pm, you can use the party ticket to get into the magic kingdom as early as 4pm. So if that's a day you're going to have pool time in the morning, you can save yourself an extra park ticket by just using your party ticket.
    3. Getting a early breakfast reservation (before park opening) is a great way to beat all the lines to a must-do ride without using a precious fast pass. We love to do this at the garden grill at Epcot, where they will give you a pass for Soaring, plus you get to meet Chip and Dale/Mickey/Pluto!

Sounds like you're going to have a great trip!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to find this post, we are looking to head down from Savannah soon.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast