User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were on a Texas ranch about 50 mi. east of Waco over New Years. Of course Texas decided to have some of the coldest weather they've had in a long time. For about four days it never got above 30. The only problem we had was the kitchen water freezing up. Bathroom was fine all the time. The problem came from the low point drains sticking out of the bottom of the belly. I went out every morning with a hair dryer and thawed out that area and got water back to the kitchen. I've since wrapped the lines, but haven't been where the temps were that cold.
    Anyone done a permanent fix on those lines that has proven to work??
    Ron & Nancy Ward
    2001 Dodge 2500/ 2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoyed reading the posts here. Where are therecamp grounds open during ski season? We go to Pagosa Springs to ski WolfCreek, and it appears to me all the campgrounds are closed. We've skied afew other places, but I don't remember seeing any camping opportunities thereeither.
    Our Imagine 2600RB has the "Artic Insulation"sticker, which I don't put a lot of faith in. Curious how well it/wewould hold up in serious cold weather. Dallas, I presume the heat transfer through the ceiling takes care ofany snow build up on the roof and sliders.

Dave & Debi
    2005 Chevy 2500 HD diesel
    2018 GD 2600RB

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2whoharp View Post
    Where are there camp grounds open during ski season?
    There aren't that many of them. We buy the vail epic season pass, cheap. In Breckenridge you have Tiger Run RV park and resort. Pricey, but it is in a ski resort town and the only one open.

Park City Utah now has 3 RV resorts open during the winter. Park City RV Resort, Rivers Edge (an older but well run park) and Mounatin Valley RV resort in Heber, a new mega RV resort.

Whistler-Blackcomb has 2 RV parks open in the winter. Riverside, where we stayed, it was pretty cramped for our 376 but there were several Solitudes in there. And Whistler RV park that sits on top of a steep hill, that could get pretty exciting in winter weather conditions.

We have looked at several other areas but couldn't find rv parks that work for us. I believe there are options available in Steamboat, but the season pass price put us off.

Quote Originally Posted by D2whoharp View Post
    Dallas, I presume the heat transfer through the ceiling takes care of any snow build up on the roof and sliders.
    It's a great subject for debate. On the one hand you are correct. Snow collects, melts, drains off. I don't think there is significant heat transfer, but it's only my opinion and not backed up by scientific research. There is another theory that the snow on the roof provides a layer of insulation during extreme cold. A couple of inches is not a problem.

On the other hand snow has weight. Ice has more weight. While we were in Whistler a travel trailer had their roof collapse. It was an older unit and probably had lots of other issues also. Whistler in near the coast and low altitude. As a result the snow “in the village” tends to be very wet and very heavy. We got about 1 meter of snow (approx 32 inches). Then it warmed up and started to melt. Then it rained. Then it snowed again. The folks that go there year after year where all up on the roof pushing the snow/slush off. My neighbor Dakota Bob popped a hernia shoveling this stuff.

I have always cleared the snow off my roof with a push broom. My original concern was my slide toppers ripping from the weight, and it's not the snow so much as accumulated ice. More issues with accumulated ice during snow melts, water collects in micro-cracks in the sealant, freezes, expands, repeat the next day. Over a period of a month it can open sealant enough to leak.

I will leave snow on the roof for a couple of days, but while winter camping I scraped the sidewalks and clear the roof. If I was only there for a week I wouldn't worry about either, but we spend 3-4 months there.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas
    Were you able to retract the slides to drop off the snow on your slides? When we had the pick-up camper w/ slide we could drop off the snow, but the slide was only 6 ft long.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Dallas
    Were you able to retract the slides to drop off the snow on your slides? When we had the pick-up camper w/ slide we could drop off the snow, but the slide was only 6 ft long.
    For the most part yes. I have slide toppers so when they counter roll in the snow just drops off. If I did not have toppers then there is a good chance that some of the snow would be brought inside.

But I am nervous about ice, it's hard and can be sharp, so before I leave my happy ski home I use a push broom to make sure the slide toppers are clear.

Being a little anal about it, I also brush the snow off the top RV before heading down the road. I saw a video of a poor guy that was behind a large vehicle when a big bunch of snow blew off the roof and covered his windshield, effectively blinding him. I don't want to cause that.
    Dallas

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a picture of our camper when we were patrolling at Crater Lake. They supplied a 20 amp plug, so I could run one small cube heater in the basement on low and keep the batteries charged. The first 2 years I didn't nave a slide cover. I would get up on top and sweep off everything. They I would bring up 3 or 4 big teapots full of hot water to melt off the slide ice. On the low end side the ice could be 2" thick.
    Then I discussed the topper ice up question on RV Net. There are a lot of camper people on there. They said they were not having any issues rolling in the topper. They did say to silicone spray the sides and the topper. It all worked very well. I would side in the slide and the snow and ice would just plop off.
    Generous supply of silicone to keep the ice from sticking is the ticket.

This is a big one night dump.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, been off grid for a few days. I like the idea of the silicone spray, I will have to keep that in mind for next winter.
    Dallas

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Sorry, been off grid for a few days. I like the idea of the silicone spray, I will have to keep that in mind for next winter.
    The silicone spray should be applied in the summer when it can soak into the pores of the fabric.

How was Death Valley?
    I think it's too early for flowers. I have not been there yet. I was going to go there a few years ago in late May, but it was going to be 110*. I was on the Victory and I don't like heat (above 80*).
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    How was Death Valley?
    To keep this thread on topic I have replied to your inquiry here: Momentum in Death Valley
    Dallas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coldest we ever were camping was about 16* in our previous tt without extra insulation. We were successful in freezing up the water line under the cabinet one time, but then made sure we left cabinet doors open. We also used two little electric space heaters, one in the living area and one in the bathroom. Set on our normal about 75* temp and the coach furnace on the 75* mark. Each heater would compliment each other and were able to keep the place at about 68*. Fast forward to our 303 RLS. We have been as cold as 18* with about 18 mph winds up on the rim near woods canyon lake in Arizona. This was cold and in the shade, and actually the pic in my profile is the spot. So during this trip, we did have the generator of course wouldn't be without it, used the fireplace at 75* and the furnace at 70*. we did put bubble foil stuff on the windows not used and were able to keep plenty warm about 68* to 70*. we also use the little space heater in the bathroom to help maintain some additional consistency in the upstairs area. on the trip with the 303 we did have the hot water line freeze up under the kitchen cabinet area somewhere, opened the cabinet and placed a heater fan in there for about 30 minutes and the water flowed. this is a project that I still need to get between the underbelly and floor to see if the water line is not above the insulation. Over all, I believe that in windy conditions, you still get that little chill in the air inside due to drafts and other openings. After all these things are not air tight and you have air movement top bottom and sides. All in all we are super happy. On these trips and some others in cold, these were the worst, we were only there for a couple to few days, not like weeks or months. For us, we don't care if it is hot or cold, we have our extra heaters, fireplace, furnace and air conditioner to keep us comfy. That's our story and we are sticking to it. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast