User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    ding. It will probably will be junk mail anyway.

I have to decide what tools to keep from my auto shop and sell everything else. I'm compiling a list of what I think I might need. Keep my scanners & voltage meters, electric small chain saw, jig, circular saw, drill, some metric and SAE stuff & various hand tools, a couple large jack stands and the like. But all this kind of stuff is heavy and will add up the weight quickly. Got to keep it down. What kind of tools do you all use or need most often?

I have to resign myself to the fact that I wont be able to do most repairs to the RV or TV other than simple stuff. I wont have a place to do it or the tools. Like fluid changes, bearing repacking and the like, what am I going to do with the old oil? I'll have to use dealerships for this kind of stuff. That increases the out of pocket costs to have an RV dealership do necessary maintenance or TV dealerships to complete regular maintenance. I've been trying to factor in all this kind of thing into the costs of going full time.
    Fulltiming isn't for everyone or forever. It's not for us and we did consider it. Our trips are 2-4 months but we both need "back home". Home is in AL and having that as residence isn't bad financially as some states. Suggestion before disposing of everything. Long term rent a storage locker of those household items that will be hard to replace. Tools, family furniture, etc. If you have firearms probably at a trusted friend or family is better for them.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chunker View Post
    Suggestion before disposing of everything. Long term rent a storage locker of those household items that will be hard to replace. Tools, family furniture, etc. If you have firearms probably at a trusted friend or family is better for them.
    Yup thought of that but if we are half way across the country we thought what good is a storage locker full of stuff back in our home state. We also thought about maybe a storage locker close to where the kids are instead of down here in Texas, but the same conditions apply, what good is a storage locker half way across the country. See we plan to send 6 + months out of the year up north near the kids and grandkids and traveling to parts unknown then come back down to Texas for winter. I don't want a house unoccupied for over half of the year and renting / leasing it out is out of the question.

We have told our kids if you want the family things we have you better speak up. Like the china and silverware I bought the wife 41 years ago, it only gets used two times out of the year. Past family dishes, never get used. It was nice seeing them in the cabinet for the last 41 years but now its time for them to get passed down. We also have two cedar chests full of quilts made by family members. We'll keep one or two, the rest gets passed down.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yup thought of that but if we are half way across the country we thought what good is a storage locker full of stuff back in our home state. We also thought about maybe a storage locker close to where the kids are instead of down here in Texas, but the same conditions apply, what good is a storage locker half way across the country. See we plan to send 6 + months out of the year up north near the kids and grandkids and traveling to parts unknown then come back down to Texas for winter. I don't want a house unoccupied for over half of the year and renting / leasing it out is out of the question.

We have told our kids if you want the family things we have you better speak up. Like the china and silverware I bought the wife 41 years ago, it only gets used two times out of the year. Past family dishes, never get used. It was nice seeing them in the cabinet for the last 41 years but now its time for them to get passed down. We also have two cedar chests full of quilts made by family members. We'll keep one or two, the rest gets passed down.
    My thoughts on that were that I would see as full-time but not permanent. Eventually you may decide the life style is no longer what you want and decide to stop. There might be things you have now that you will want again and replacing could be very expensive and maybe not the quality of what you now have. I know people who have full timed for several years and have no indications of stopping. Also know some who after a couple would like to have that stick built house again. Gets down to what fits your needs and wants best. Just my perspective.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Florida is full of campers and motorhomes for sale from people who have called it quits.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We went full time 4 months ago and at some point we'll stop and put down roots but we decided before we left we
    didn't want to blow a couple thousand dollars paying a couple years rent for "stuff" while we were gone.
    Turns out we haven't needed any of it, and can't even remember what most of it was, so it obviously wasn't that important.

It's funny how living in this camper makes us think twice about buying any junk we don't really need, unlike when we had a sticks and bricks home with endless storage for crap.

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Florida is full of campers and motorhomes for sale from people who have called it quits.
    Yes and No. Sure some of them are from people that are done camping, but it's common knowledge that Florida is full of retirees. Vastly more than any other state.
    It's just a fact that when they pass they leave their campers and motor homes up for sale.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    We went full time 4 months ago and at some point we'll stop and put down roots but we decided before we left we
    didn't want to blow a couple thousand dollars paying a couple years rent for "stuff" while we were gone.
    Turns out we haven't needed any of it, and can't even remember what most of it was, so it obviously wasn't that important.

It's funny how living in this camper makes us think twice about buying any junk we don't really need, unlike when we had a sticks and bricks home with endless storage for crap.

Agreed. I live on 2 acres in Tucson, full of stuff everywhere, 3 8X20 conex boxes all full, a garage that's full, a separate office building that's full and then the main house that's full. And for what? My dad is 88 and he's started unloading a lot of his stuff on me because he doesn't want to deal with it any more. Kids and grandkids usually want a few things that mean something to them, but overall they could care less about most of it. We own a 12 acre ranchito in the high country of NM and I have more crap up there. I'm starting to wonder just what I'm "winning" here.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before we left to go full time I had already spent several years researching a reading many forums. And I kept reading the same thing over and over..."we paid rent on a storage shed for XX number of years and never went back to go through anything until we finally just gave it to the kids, donated for tax purposes, etc.". Some of those posts even said how many thousands of $$ they spent on their storage unit.

I told Babe "we're not flushing that money down the toilet" so we sold all the furniture, etc. boxed up photo albums and other things we thought we couldn't live without, shipped the boxes up to my daughter's and then called her and told her "there'll be a UPS truck pulling up to your house in a couple of days.....go through all of the boxes and keep what you'd like and throw the rest in the dumpster.

Full disclosure: We did start down sizing five years prior to going full time and no less than once every six months we'd get rid of more and more. It was amazing all that we still had when we were 90 days out. We were ready for divorce court several times throughout that process but some how we survived. Now we look back and wonder "what was the big deal.....why didn't we just have a huge estate sale to begin with, then at one week call Goodwill or Salvation Army and have them take every thing else in one fail swoop and get that tax receipt. But no, we're knuckleheads.....we did it slow and painful....a little at a time.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats. You will love it. I sold my 6 br house and moved into a 2500RL with my 2 MaineCoons. Worked a season as a work camper, now headed to Texas in a 2019 Transcend 28MKS for the winter and will return to eastern Mo for another work camping season.
    You will find the people are great, helpful and fun. Enjoy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123