User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a big difference between an EMS and a surge protector. Be sure you know what you're getting.

I prefer the portable ones as it is not uncommon that they require service after a good surge. The portable units, of course, are easier to remove and don't take my RV out of service while I'm waiting for repairs.

I've had excellent service from Progressive.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed mine behind the wall in the storage area. There was enough slack in the wire, that I didn't need to buy any.
    Ron & Sue
    2016 Reflection 337 RLS
    2011 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So in the past few days I’ve done some in-depth research into both the EMS-HW50c and the Hughes 50a Autoformer, and I confess, I’m happy to have gone with the Hughes Autoformer. The new 220 model comes with a built in energy management system, like the EMS, but boosts power outrage should shore power drop below standard mechanical device needs. Granted, using a Huges and an EMS in parallel on the same line would be the most ideal situation, I think having an Autoformer at the electrical pedestal will serve as the rig savior most people are looking for.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OIF/OEFveteran View Post
    So in the past few days I’ve done some in-depth research into both the EMS-HW50c and the Hughes 50a Autoformer, and I confess, I’m happy to have gone with the Hughes Autoformer. The new 220 model comes with a built in energy management system, like the EMS, but boosts power outrage should shore power drop below standard mechanical device needs. Granted, using a Huges and an EMS in parallel on the same line would be the most ideal situation, I think having an Autoformer at the electrical pedestal will serve as the rig savior most people are looking for.
    Sure, I will agree the autoformer is superior because it adjusts the voltage not just monitors it. It should be better at twice the price. That is why I have a Reflection not a Solitude. It is all about the balance of performance for price for me. YMMV
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    I used this wire for mine. Very flexible and nice length for the project.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I considered the SOOW cable because it would be way easier to work with in confined area. The only reason I didn't go with it was it was rated at 45 amps where the OEM NM-B 6/3 with ground is rated at 50 amps.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    Sure, I will agree the autoformer is superior because it adjusts the voltage not just monitors it. It should be better at twice the price. That is why I have a Reflection not a Solitude. It is all about the balance of performance for price for me. YMMV
    Consider me crazy. I have both.

I originally bought a EMS-PT50X and when I connected to my friend's 30 amp service at his barn it would not allow power to the trailer because of low voltage. With the AC running the voltage was 99 volts.

I bought a Autoformer and it boosted the voltage 10% to 109 volts when the AC was running. I then could safely run my AC and still be protected from bad power.

I recently installed the hard wired version Progressive Industries EMS and I just listed my portable 50 amp EMS-PT50X for sale on the GD site.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-280-delivered

Jerry
    Jerry & Linda
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Consider me crazy. I have both.

I originally bought a EMS-PT50X and when I connected to my friend's 30 amp service at his barn it would not allow power to the trailer because of low voltage. With the AC running the voltage was 99 volts.

I bought a Autoformer and it boosted the voltage 10% to 109 volts when the AC was running. I then could safely run my AC and still be protected from bad power.

I recently installed the hard wired version Progressive Industries EMS and I just listed my portable 50 amp EMS-PT50X for sale on the GD site.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-280-delivered

Jerry
    Jerry:
    You are not crazy. The auto-former is a surge protector and voltage adjuster. The EMS is a Surge protector and monitoring tool. They overlap in functions but both have unique functions also. I do have to ask, do you wear a belt and suspenders at the same time though too, JIC?
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    Jerry:
    You are not crazy. The auto-former is a surge protector and voltage adjuster. The EMS is a Surge protector and monitoring tool. They overlap in functions but both have unique functions also. I do have to ask, do you wear a belt and suspenders at the same time though too, JIC?
    I've been a private pilot for 38 years and in those 38 years I've lost 10 friends in 6 different aircraft accidents. All were either due to poor maintenance or poor decisions with risk. I do tend to go overboard with safety items. That is why I have Goodyear G614 tires, Disc brakes and an EMS. Fortunately I can afford it. I am anal with safety items and with preventive maintenance.

My autoformer is the one without the surge protection. I don't need it because of the surge protection in the EMS.

I don't wear belt and suspenders but I do occasionally forget to zipper up.
    Jerry & Linda

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so glad I bought a GD and joined this forum! Not only am I getting a genuine laugh at the sarcasm of folks here, but I’m really learning a lot - my sincere thanks and appreciation!

I’m still considering installing a progressive EMS because, like Jerry mentioned, and as a former Army helicopter crew chief, I’m super anal about double and tripling up on safety, where possible.

On a side note, how do you all put the maps, images, and info in your posts? I’d like to add my info, a map, and a picture, too.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OIF/OEFveteran View Post
    I am so glad I bought a GD and joined this forum! Not only am I getting a genuine laugh at the sarcasm of folks here, but I’m really learning a lot - my sincere thanks and appreciation!

I’m still considering installing a progressive EMS because, like Jerry mentioned, and as a former Army helicopter crew chief, I’m super anal about double and tripling up on safety, where possible.

On a side note, how do you all put the maps, images, and info in your posts? I’d like to add my info, a map, and a picture, too.
    Leave one $150 "dogbone" on a power pedestal and you will have the best reason to have an EMS built-in.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast