User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    As to whether it's "worth it". . . Saved us a lot of headache last month in the RV park we were at. They had really wonky electrical service and the surge protector shut down the power on our rig like 5 times that week.
    I installed one, too. My experience makes me wonder if the device might be a little too sensitive or if it is giving false positives. I know we've had the device shut us down when others around us were still plugged in and using their shore power with no problems. I wish the monitor gave more actionable information.

-Steve
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what you mean by "actionable information", but if you mean low voltage shutdown, high voltage shutdown, open neutral, hertz or frequency.....are any of those things something that you can resolve, repair, or generally take care of? You can basically do nothing about high voltage...it's a power company thing. Low voltage might be because you have too many thing running at the same time, which can easily be resolved if in fact it is just you running too many things. Most likely though, a low voltage shutdown is a result of the demand on the power source and the campground's lack of having an appropriate system for the number of people that they have using it. Frequency, again, power company issue. Unless you are an Electrician, many/most of the things you mention except maybe an open neutral is beyond the trailer owner's capability, and even more important, the campground isn't going to let you work on their stuff. If the open neutral problem is downstream of the plug in (your stuff), then you need to be knowledgeable enough to be able to troubleshoot and find it. You may be, I don't know, but stuff like that is beyond the scope of the average camper owner....unless you have a fairly decent electrical background. My point is this, the Progressive Industries EMS is a valuable tool in the fact that it takes your trailer offline if there is a serious electrical issue, one that could cause damage to your trailer, and that is the intent and purpose of the EMS. Beyond that, it's up to you (if you are knowledgeable enough) or a service tech to get to the bottom of the fault that is causing the EMS to take you offline/the grid.
    Last edited by xrated; 10-20-2019 at 07:10 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I did the cut and install method in our 2018 374TH-R Solitude. The controller is upside down to make the wires reach. I also wanted to put the remote screen in with the all the other buttons, but that was not going to be easy. I just put the remote screen through the return air whole and mounted it to the floor.

Having the remote inside will let you know what amount of power is being drawn by each leg. If on a 30A service, this helps a lot.

The little remote above the EMS remote is for the converter. KEN
    If you are on a 30A service, you are only drawing current from one leg anyway......even if you are using a 50A to 30A adapter.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    If you are on a 30A service, you are only drawing current from one leg anyway......even if you are using a 50A to 30A adapter.
    Yes; and seeing what you are drawing will help. Knowing what to turn off so that you can run the microwave to keep from tripping the post breaker is what I was trying to get across. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "actionable information". . .
    Shoulda kept my mouth shut.
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    Shoulda kept my mouth shut.
    Some of the EMS's we not calibrated correctly. I had to correct the voltage reading on the EMS.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a 50 amp Progressive EMS a few months back and it is working fine. I previously used a portable 30 amp. Progressive unit for approximately nine years. Last winter in CA it saved me from a 30 amp. pedestal that was wired incorrectly. Not sure what would have happened if I did connect without the unit. I suggest if you are planning on installing yourself to place it in the best area for easy access to get the wires connected. The amount of room in the box is small and it's not that easy to get the wires connected. If it's going to be in a tight area be prepared to suffer some agony installing it. Getting a separate piece of wire to go from the EMS to the trailer electrical panel is a really good idea as you get to connect it to the EMS box on a bench where you get to swear under your breath instead of out loud if you are in a cramped area. I also would suggest that all trailers should have an EMS installed at the factory as the potential for a costly blow up is pretty good if you travel frequently and do not use protection. If you don't use some sort of an EMS you are cruising for a bruising and a big dent in your wallet at some point in time.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789