User Tag List

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    I don’t see where 310.15(b)(2) has anything to do with using either 6/3w/Ground NM-B or SOOW 6/4 to run supply wire in a trailer. 310.15(b)(2) would apply to SOOW 6/3 (not 6/4) and allow 55 amps with a 120 v single Hot/Neutral/Ground wired circuit, but that’s not applicable to a 2-phase 240 volts circuit.

I am not a licensed electrician but in my non-professional interpretation of NEC code, SOOW is portable cable and it’s not approved for concealed installation. In addition, 6/4 SOOW is only rated at 45 amps per NEC Table 400.5(a)(1), therefore it should not be used where there’s 50 amp circuit protection.

Will it work? Most probobly but why risk it?
    Jerry, the bolded section above needs a correction. The system we are talking about is Not a two phase system....it's single phase or sometimes called split phase. The two 120V hot legs are 180 degrees out of phase with each other electrically. So even though that system is capable of providing 100 amps total (50 amps each), it's not quite the same as something that you might call two phase. If there was such a system in use AND each leg was In Phase with each other, then the neutral would definitely be considered a CCC...but that opens a new can of worms here and is not applicable to the RV system, so I won't go there. Anyway, with the system being used in RVs, and its the same type system we find in our residential houses being a split phase where the two hot legs are 180 degrees out of phase with each other, the neutral would considered to be a non CCC.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great debate going on. I would like to add that I am no electrician. My only thought to add is , if there is a problem with your RV and insurance can find some way to get out of paying you it might just be that using a different wire than that supplied by the manufacture could be a easy way to get out of paying. I bought the stiff wire for my EMS and would have gladly bought the more bendy wire for ease of working with it , but I did not know about this other wire.
    Great discussion glad to have this kind of knowledge here.

Brian

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Brian...even though I'm new here (only a couple of weeks), I'm here to learn what I can, share what I can, and basically just be a normal guy on a great forum. I'm 64 years old and I am definitely old school.....manners, be respectful of others, help when you can, learn from others and maybe disagree with others...but do it respectfully and agree to disagree if needed.

And I might add that I am a Journeyman Electrician, since 1980....4 years of apprenticeship program, then top out with a certificate from the U.S. Dept. Of Labor. Knowing code though is definitely not my strong suite however. I worked as an industrial electrician and spent the biggest part of my time trouble-shooting...not installing equipment and having to know the NEC intimately
    Last edited by xrated; 02-21-2019 at 05:37 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that was a thought stimulating read on the NEC or "Mindbender" as I call it.
    I never came close to thoroughly understanding it, didn't have to as I was just a mtce tech.
    Never understood why a fuzzy logic or AI program wasn't developed for it.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand CCC logic and we can debate if a neutral should be counted as a current carrying conductor or not.

Reguardless, SOOW must be visible (for inspection) when installed and it’s not approved AKA (Banned Uses) when installed concealed under floors, behind walls or in a ceiling. This would rule out installing it behind the RV’s circuit breaker panel to a concealed EMS.

SOOW is very useful in many applications. I have a short piece of SOOW that has a L14-30R (240v/30a) receptacle at my vacation house. It comes off the outside breaker box on the side of the house. I can plug my 50 amp Reflection into it with an inexpensive L14-30P to 14-50R generator adaptor and run everything in the trailer. https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...dp/B076ZTZMHM/

hmm.... in your pic, it looks like one end of the wire is concealed. or both, if you argue that the other end is in the plug...
    and I know as little about electricity as most people..
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xrated

Thank you for correcting my 2-phase comment to single phase or split phase. You are correct on not counting neutral as CCC in our single phase trailer connection. I had to look it up in 310.15.

I worked for a company that installed and serviced equipment connected to the same NEMA 14-50R receptacles that our trailers use. We supplied the receptacles to the customer and their electrician wired it. The first thing we did before installing our equipment was to verify that the electric was proper. About 1 in 10 times they were wired incorrectly. Many times in commercial buildings the electrician incorrectly wired it as a 3-phase wye with hot on the neutral connection.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 02-21-2019 at 01:32 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xrated

Thank you for correcting my 2-phase comment to single phase or split phase. You are correct as you are on not counting neutral as CCC in our single phase connection. I had to look it up in 310.15.

I worked for a company that installed and serviced equipment connected to the same NEMA 14-50R receptacles that our trailers use. We supplied the receptacles to the customer and their electrician wired it. The first thing we did before installing our equipment was to verify that the electric was proper. About 1 in 10 times they were wired incorrectly. Many times in commercial buildings the electrician wired it as a 3-phase wye.
    And you'll never guess what I just remembered. A few years ago I installed a 50 amp weatherproof enclosure on the outside of my detached garage (where the landing pad is for my toy hauler and where the new Toy Hauler will be parked) and I had probably 6-8' of the 6/3 w/grnd NMB cable left over after the install. I'll probably use that for the EMS hookup, as I already have it at the house.....wow.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know the NEC does not apply to vehicles.

It's info is useful, but we must be careful to avoid assuming they are similar situations.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    As far as I know the NEC does not apply to vehicles.
    It's info is useful, but we must be careful to avoid assuming they are similar situations.
    NEC Chapter 5 Special Occupancies, Article 551 Recreational Vehicles and Recreational Vehicle Parks
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is true ^^^^ Article 551 does deal with RVs and RV campgrounds.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast