User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EMS-HW50c worth it?

Just bought a 2018 GD 150 series 290bh and am considering installing an EMS-HW50c.

Is it worth it to install this surge protector OR does the rig come installed with an equally invaluable surge protection system?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would buy it and put it in before you even take the thing out again. Plenty of good info on here about how to install it and why. It takes <1hr to install and most likely <30 minutes if you read enough about tips/tricks first.

You will find out all the information by running a search for surge protectors but you are most likely not protected. Videos on youtube are great to show the install process and there are some solid tips on this forum. The biggest tip I would follow is to go buy some wire and prewire half of the box before you even have to tear in to your trailer. (you would pre-wire the output end of the EMS so that all you have to do is disconnect the wire from the back of the breaker panel and plug it in to the input end of the EMS. Then, the output portion you already pre wired would plug back in to the power panel)

If you want to see a LOT of info on pros/cons/tips search "progressive" or "surge AND protector" in the top right of the forum. More info than you can imagine.

*thanks for your service. I flew missions over both OND and OEF and have deep respect for those who served on the ground.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your service, as well!

I appreciate the heads up on the search help, as well as the advice on buying the protector. I was leaning towards 'yes', but am going to pick one and install. Sounds (and looks) really simple to install. I just need figure out where the service line runs through the rig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys with the reflection series can probably help you out with that. I would put the 90% solution on just behind the breaker panel for the install point. In mine (and I think most) it is a very stiff orange insulated wrapped wire that contains your main service line wires. Not sure if 50amp wire is colored differently or not.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what guage wire and type do you recommend.....i am getting ready to tackle the same job....warmer temps coming up....so getting everything ready.

thanks.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    what guage wire and type do you recommend.....i am getting ready to tackle the same job....warmer temps coming up....so getting everything ready.

thanks.
    code is 6/3 with ground for 50A service.
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, about a foot you think?
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    thanks, about a foot you think?
    More. You are gonna need to mount it somewhere. 2-3’ to give yourself plenty of maneuverability. Remember several inches will go into the circuit breaker box and a few inches into the hw50
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any recommendations where to buy 6/3 with ground? All I find online are large bundles (125 ft +)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OIF/OEFveteran View Post
    Any recommendations where to buy 6/3 with ground? All I find online are large bundles (125 ft +)
    They sell by foot at big box stores.
    Lowes 6/3 w Gnd NM-B Southwire Romex SIMpull 6- 3 Indoor Non-Metallic Jacket Wire (By-the-Foot)
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast