User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Titan disc brake install tips and tricks

The Titan brake install looks pretty straight forward. From those that have installed are there any specifics tips, tricks or things you would have done different on your install?

Just got the kit yesterday diving in tomorrow installing on a 376th.

I did go with the 8k kit with different lugs and heavier bearings.

Thanks

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Oh boy, what fun and triple axle to boot!

I laid out all my lines on the garage floor to test fit and double and triple check how I was going to run them and make sure I had any fittings not included for my purposes. I spent a day just building some large wood shoring to get the trailer up securely.

Take your time and you'll be so happy when it's done! Good luck!!
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by breweraz View Post
    The Titan brake install looks pretty straight forward. From those that have installed are there any specifics tips, tricks or things you would have done different on your install?

Just got the kit yesterday diving in tomorrow installing on a 376th.

I did go with the 8k kit with different lugs and heavier bearings.

Thanks
    There are a couple of routes you can run the lines. Either run a line down both sides of the frame or just one side of the frame and run across one or both axles. Not sure I agree with this, but my shop was afraid they'd puncture a tank with a screw if they went down both sides attaching the lines to the frame web so they ended up running a steel line across both axles. I was uncomfortable having hoses in unprotected areas and susceptible to road debris and compromised by using hard lines instead of hoses. Another consideration is that hose expansion under pressure delays brake application slightly, but I'm not sure I agree.

Either shop can provide the variety of fittings for whatever routing you choose, I'm not sure there is really a great deal of difference.

You are going to be thrilled with the brakes the first time you apply them. You'll wonder why anyone uses drum brakes.

FWIW, the first time I pulled with the new brakes there was a very slight leak in the front storage compartment under the actuator. I called the outfit that I bought the kit from and they said they had had reports of leaks from the screws under the actuator. They felt tight to me, but I got maybe another 16th of a turn and no more leaks after that.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dropped the plastic on the front drop down section, ran-the line along frame rails, then ran it along frame rails to axels, ran lines across from and used rubber lines to calipers
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Doing this in our RV park but we have open spaces all around us. It never rains in AZ EXCEPT for today....go figure. We have not had rain for 60 plus days but of course today so longer day tomorrow.

Yep three axles or 6 hubs as I see it. By the end I guess I will know what I am doing. Hired a local tech with more tools in his mobile unit. It is times like this you do miss the garage. I do not think a project like this is one to take on with my wife in protection of our marriage. LOL

Thanks for the tips.

Tim

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by breweraz View Post
    Thanks

Doing this in our RV park but we have open spaces all around us. It never rains in AZ EXCEPT for today....go figure. We have not had rain for 60 plus days but of course today so longer day tomorrow.

Yep three axles or 6 hubs as I see it. By the end I guess I will know what I am doing. Hired a local tech with more tools in his mobile unit. It is times like this you do miss the garage. I do not think a project like this is one to take on with my wife in protection of our marriage. LOL

Thanks for the tips.

Tim
    But don't you love the smell of the desert when it rains?
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tim - I posted the details of my installation in the forum library section.

Hydraulics https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...tem-Hydraulics
    Electrics https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-System-Wiring

I debated on how to run the hydraulic lines and ended up with the hoses across the axles. In my opinion, across the back side of the axles is about as protected as anywhere else under the trailer. The most vulnerable hoses are the drops from the frame to the axle . . . I decided I would rather have just one of these per axle rather than two. Statistically, tire failures (the most common cause of torn up hoses) are most likely on the curb side, so best location for the drop hoses would be street side. (Although mine worked out better to be on the curb side because of where I put the actuator pump)

Lots of expertise on this forum from those who have done their own installations. Just ask, if you have any questions at all.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you got the kit from Performance Trailer Braking it's pretty complete. The only thing I found was that there wasn't enough brake line to route it the way I wanted. Buy extra line and rent a flaring tool from Auto Zone so you're not hamstrung by what's provided. Also, the plastic clips used to hold the brake line in place are very cheap and weak. Buy the brake line kit and stainless steel clips at Amazon:

25 ft 3/16 Brake Line Kit - Steel Roll WITH Fittings $22.95
    Allstar Performance ALL18300 3/16" Rubber Cushioned Aluminum Line Clamp, (Pack of 10) $7.99

If your rig doesn't have wet bolts, I'd recommend installing them while you have the wheels off.

Another tip: if you aren't careful, you will likely flip the shackles and it's a bit of a pain to straighten that out. Watch the spring position and support the axles appropriately and you should be OK.

Yet ANOTHER tip: Some bolts already have thread locker on them - don't add any more because it will screw up your torque readings and make them difficult to remove. On bolts where you use thread locker, only use medium strength.

Good luck. I just ordered a new Solitude and will be installing brakes as soon as I get it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I found this thread. Getting ready to start the same project on my 350M. Will place the order on Monday. I will also be upgrading the wheels and tires to 17.5 and the springs to Dexter 8K's with the heavy duty shackles. I appreciate the tips.
    2017 Momentum 350M
    2017 Ram 3500 4X4 Megacab DRW CTD Aisin with B&W companion hitch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go look at the rear axle of your truck. Chances are there's lines attached to it. Attaching a line to the rear of the trailer axle would seem to about as safe as you can get other than running it up inside the coroplast attached to the frame.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast