User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    On my 2001 Holiday Rambler Alumascape that fully loaded weighs 11,500 lbs the drum brakes, same size 12x2 were adequate. Not so for the Solitude though at 13,500 lightly loaded.
    Nuffsaid - An interesting observation.

I just had a conversation with a friend who recently traded his SOB 11,000 lb 5th wheel for a new Reflection 303. Same tow vehicle and yet he does not feel that the 303 brakes are doing nearly as much as the same 12 x 2 electric drum brakes did on his previous trailer. My first thought was greased brakes . . . but, he has the red grease LCI hubs meaning that these were built after the greasing automation was implemented.

There was discussion a while back about the gauge of the wires supplying the electromagnets being very light. I wonder if there is something else contributing to the lack of braking on GDRV products even if the brakes themselves are up to spec?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    That's interesting. Would you attribute that to hydraulic vs electro magnetic actuation?
    Both of these were electric drums.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both of these were electric drums.
    I had it in my head that the HR was a coach with hydraulics.

Perhaps we need to have a GD rally at a dragstrip or something where we can do some brake testing.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I have been told is that those little connectors they use on the trailer wires for the brakes aren't very good. In fact a mechanic that works on trailers said when they have a new trailer come in they replace all of them.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    From what I have been told is that those little connectors they use on the trailer wires for the brakes aren't very good. In fact a mechanic that works on trailers said when they have a new trailer come in they replace all of them.
    Last year I purchased a new Hallmark cargo trailer at work and all the breaks we're wired as a direct short!!! I had to rewire all of them

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had 1 panic stop after I installed my disc brakes. They paid for themselves at that point.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I would check back in a year later on my disc brake conversion. Best money I ever spent!!!! Over 3,000 miles, never an issue except a little too aggressive braking if my foot is a little heavy on the brake pedal. I have had the trailer in rain, snow and hot weather and never an issue.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brake Controller adapter

I thought I would check back in a year later on my disc brake conversion. Best money I ever spent!!!! Over 3,000 miles, never an issue except a little too aggressive braking if my foot is a little heavy on the brake pedal. I have had the trailer in rain, snow and hot weather and never an issue.
    Nuffsaid, I'm wondering if you had to add an adapter for the brake controller. I have a 2019 Denali 2500HD Duramax and thought that I didn't need to use an adapter; that the truck brake controller would handle the new disc brakes. I got my disc kit from Stop Your Trailer and Bill sent an adapter along with it. (I told him what truck I had.) Do I really need to install the adapter or can I do as you did and just install the BrakeRite actuator? I plan to install the disc brakes as soon as the weather is warm.
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try it without the adapter. I didn't use an adapter on mine and it works flawlessly. Worst problems I have had is turning sharp going slow and having the pin get pulled for the brake away switch, which quickly stops progress, LOL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try it without the adapter. I didn't use an adapter on mine and it works flawlessly. Worst problems I have had is turning sharp going slow and having the pin get pulled for the brake away switch, which quickly stops progress, LOL
    Thanks! I'll do that.
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789