User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Go look at the rear axle of your truck. Chances are there's lines attached to it. Attaching a line to the rear of the trailer axle would seem to about as safe as you can get other than running it up inside the coroplast attached to the frame.
    I did. Its a steel line. I think it is all kind of a tradeoff. I wanted as much protection for the lines as possible, but, as Rob mentioned, the drop hoses are the most likely points of failure. My original plan was to run a hose across the back of the cross-member, but the shop couldn't find the right fittings to make it work so I can live with the steel line on the axle.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem I had was using short (3' to 6') brakes lines purchased from the local auto parts. I wanted everything plumb and level, I know anal. Anyway, I tightened the clamps to the trailer before I put the last 1/4 turn on the brake line unions. This caused a few leaks. I had to loosen the clamps, tighten the brake unions then re-tighten the clamps to the trailer...very easy fix but took 3 days to figure out.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure to double check all of your hydraulic fittings. Several of mine were scored inside on what should have been smooth copper leading to little leaks once I had it together. Check your cables as well as the 90 degree elbow that's on the calipers. 2 of my 4 had bad fittings.
    Momentum 350m

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Go look at the rear axle of your truck. Chances are there's lines attached to it. Attaching a line to the rear of the trailer axle would seem to about as safe as you can get other than running it up inside the coroplast attached to the frame.
    I ran mine along the frame rails and then right on the coroplast. There is no need to run it above the coroplast or run it along the axles. Why not above the coroplast? Think leaks. Why not along he axle? Why put it on an axle that bounces up and down? The thing is to insure that where you secure the clips you are not hitting a tank or just securing to the coroplast, which won't hold anything. I secured my clips to existing fasteners that were holding the coroplast to the frame. If you don't think this is the way to go, talk to the folks at Performance Trailer Braking. They install hundreds of these things and this is how they do it.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll crawl underneath tomorrow and get some pictures of the lines.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I am going to be starting this project soon I would like to see some pictures. No rush to do it for me as it will be a few week's before I start mine.
    Thanks in advance though for offering.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2017 Momentum 350M
    2017 Ram 3500 4X4 Megacab DRW CTD Aisin with B&W companion hitch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    The problem I had was using short (3' to 6') brakes lines purchased from the local auto parts. I wanted everything plumb and level, I know anal. Anyway, I tightened the clamps to the trailer before I put the last 1/4 turn on the brake line unions. This caused a few leaks. I had to loosen the clamps, tighten the brake unions then re-tighten the clamps to the trailer...very easy fix but took 3 days to figure out.

Red
    You can run the lines anywhere you please by buying 25' of steel line from Amazon (complete with fittings), using a tubing cutter and making your own flares with a flaring tool you can rent from AutoZone for free. No need to use 3' or 6" line - make a 4" if you need it.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Securing the brake line to the underside of the frame rails using the fasteners that hold the coroplast, means that the brake line is at risk of being crushed by a jack or jack stand lifting or supporting the frame and means that the brake line has to be disturbed if (when) the coroplast has to be dropped for service work. Best to keep away from both these future problems, in my opinion.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Securing the brake line to the underside of the frame rails using the fasteners that hold the coroplast, means that the brake line is at risk of being crushed by a jack or jack stand lifting or supporting the frame and means that the brake line has to be disturbed if (when) the coroplast has to be dropped for service work. Best to keep away from both these future problems, in my opinion.

Rob
    Not at all. There is absolutely no danger of jack damage - the line is not on the underside of the rail. It goes along the side of the ibeam, then over the top to the coroplast. In fact, I'd be more worried about jack damage by running along the axle, plus unless you have flex tubing between the terminus of the line and the axle, the axle movement will very likely break the line. If the brake line needs to be disconnected to drop the coroplast, it's a simple job for any mechanic. I did it the way Performance Trailer Braking recommended and I have a totally professional, functional installation. If you do it the way they instruct you to, you can't miss. Also I'll be sending pictures tomorrow. I'll take shots all the way from the actuator to the calipers so as to answer any questions. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures of my brake line routing.

Actuator mount and line mounting along frame to coach bottom:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1934.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	11441Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1935.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	11442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1936.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	11443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1937.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	11444

Can only do a max of 5 files per post. Sending the rest on second post.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brake lines along the rear basement wall and fastened to coroplast:

Name:	IMG_1938.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	11446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1939.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	11447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1941.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	11448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1943.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	11449

And finally, a picture of a stainless steel line clamp (not the cheap plastic ones included in the kit) secured firmly to the underside of the frame using the factory installed screws used to secure the coroplast.

Name:	IMG_1945.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	11450

As you can see, there is no danger of jack damage, the rear basement wall acts as a shield from road debris and the stainless steel clamps securely fasten the line to the coach. I can't stress strongly enough the importance of using stainless steel clamps instead of the flimsy plastic ones included with the kit. The plastic ones will break and you will have brake lines hanging.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast