User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    The problem I see with the Heavy Payload option is updates the suspension and tires to the point the rides worse than F250 or F350. My neighbor had one and after riding in my GMC 1 ton he took his Heavy Payload and traded in on F150 Max Tow which does ride better than my 1 ton. He didn't have a need for the payload because he hauled a lawn mower and jet skis and he got to it by a salesman.
    Dennis . . . there is some truth to what you say . I based a large part of my decision to stay with a half ton on my experience with 3/4 ton trucks from a decade ago. (damn . . . those things were rough) Then, I got a ride in a new one ton and I was amazed at how they have kept the load carrying capacity but really softened the empty ride.

But, there is a way around this. The HDPP tire label pressures are set to carry payload. You don't need this pressure with an empty or nearly empty truck. My LTE tire are spec'd at 60 psi rear and 55 psi front. I tow at 75 rear and 65 front. Empty, I run at 50 rear and 45 front and the ride is quite reasonable.

I still maintain that the Ecoboost is the "right" engine for towing trailers up to 10,000 lbs and Ford does not offer this engine above the F150.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 09-13-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine are 50 right now, and a nice ride. Much better than the 6.2 250 I test drove.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was Ford truck guy for a lot of years but after back surgery that didn't go as planned, I needed the smoothest riding truck on the market. I settled on the GMC 1 ton that I felt had a smoother ride than the Ford 1 ton and not far from my wife's CTS. GMC numbers are not quite as good as Ford (at least in 2016) but their independent front suspension and the rear axles moved to the rear by few inches really made a difference. Before you replace your F150 you should take a look at the GMC if the ride is a big factor in your decision.

I test drove an Ecco Boost and was impressed with the throttle response but I have never owned one. The only negative is when I ask at the factory why they don't put them in the Super Duties and the guy said longevity in a commercial truck pulling the max payload for couple hundred thousand miles He also said that personnel owned a truck that 's really not issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Dennis . . . there is some truth to what you say . I based a large part of my decision to stay with a half ton on my experience with 3/4 ton trucks from a decade ago. (damn . . . those things were rough) Then, I got a ride in a new one ton and I was amazed at how they have kept the load carrying capacity but really softened the empty ride.

But, there is a way around this. The HDPP tire label pressures are set to carry payload. You don't need this pressure with an empty or nearly empty truck. My LTE tire are spec'd at 60 psi rear and 55 psi front. I tow at 75 rear and 65 front. Empty, I run at 50 rear and 45 front and the ride is quite reasonable.

I still maintain that the Ecoboost is the "right" engine for towing trailers up to 10,000 lbs and Ford does not offer this engine above the F150.

Rob
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345