User Tag List

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Demco Hitch Ordered.

Ordered a Demco, 18k, Autoslide, Hijacker the other day along with capture plates for Roto-Flex pin box.

Gotta love eTrailer; they honored their 110% Price Pledge. It saved me a few bucks.

Truck arrives in Orlando (by train) on 2/27; should be at dealers a few days later. 310GK should be at LazyDays on 3/1.

Getting excited now.
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 02-18-2018 at 12:56 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    traveldawg - have you had a chance to use your new TV & the Demco yet? Just installed the Demco 18K Autoslide last night in my F350, and will be heading out this weekend. I had to remove one of the shim washers on each pin to get them to engage in the Ford pucks, but overall a solid unit. Only complaint is the clunks around a bit when driving without the 5er... but I'm sure a bungee cord will fix that.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    traveldawg - have you had a chance to use your new TV & the Demco yet? Just installed the Demco 18K Autoslide last night in my F350, and will be heading out this weekend. I had to remove one of the shim washers on each pin to get them to engage in the Ford pucks, but overall a solid unit. Only complaint is the clunks around a bit when driving without the 5er... but I'm sure a bungee cord will fix that.
    Unfortunately, I haven't received my 5th wheel yet. Now it won't be until late in April when I get it. It'll probably arrive at the dealer in early April but I'll be out of town. I haven't even tried to mount it in the bed yet. I'll guess I have to make some adjustment(s) as I got the Ford sprayed in bed liner. The clunking isn't a surprise; my Pullrite slide did that and like you said a bungee cord takes care of that.
    Larry KE4DMG

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Unfortunately, I haven't received my 5th wheel yet. Now it won't be until late in April when I get it. It'll probably arrive at the dealer in early April but I'll be out of town. I haven't even tried to mount it in the bed yet. I'll guess I have to make some adjustment(s) as I got the Ford sprayed in bed liner. The clunking isn't a surprise; my Pullrite slide did that and like you said a bungee cord takes care of that.
    I have the Demco with Factory 5th wheel mount and spray in bed liner in my '17. Didn't need to remove anything to make it fit. The clunk is the head moving front to back. BTW, Love it (other than the weight... It is one heavy mother...)

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a new Demco Autoslide that I have to sell. Great hitch but I have to be able to hitch/unhitch at an significant angle at my house and I can't do that with the Demco.

I'll have it in the classifieds shortly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Steve and Peggy
    Based in beautiful East Tennessee
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clunk means you may need to adjust

The clunk indicates you may need to make an adjustment. The big bolt in front of the base below the head wears rather quickly. In my case that bolt has loosened itself twice. I used thread lock last time. Today I noticed a slight clunk and that means I need to adjust it again. I've got about 9K miles on my Demco.

Issues I have observed:
    1- My hitch was out of square and I had to use a grinder to make it fit my existing rails. I have two other hitches that fit these rails. So, the problem was with the Demco.

2- From my experience the cause the 'clunk' is that bolt and it wears faster than I would like. When adjusted correctly you won't notice a clunk when starting and stopping.

3- The "CAPTURE PLATE ASSEMBLY" (Part 14743-95) on the right side of the head (Item 18 in the manual Pivot Head Breakdown) has fallen out several times while riding on rough roads without the trailer attached. The one on the left never falls out. If you loose one of these things you can't tow a trailer. I've considered popping a couple of spots on it with a welding rod to keep it from falling out. Sometimes it drifts inward while you are riding around without the trailer. If you don't notice and try to connect the trailer, it won't connect because the opening for the pin box is too narrow.

4- Demco needs to develop a full size cover for the hitch. Rain and leaves falling inside it can't be good for the mechanism. The Demco cover only protects the head.

5- The kingpin latch is so sensitive it will slam shut while you backing under the pin box before the pin has entered to slot on the head. I've taken it apart but can't figure out why it does this.

6- You just about have to back into the pin box straight on to connect the pin box to the hitch. It won't tolerate much of an angle when you are hitching up. I try to straighten up before I disconnect and then back in straight when I reconnect. So far it has not been a show stopper.

Operation is smooth when turning and it is quiet except for that clunk which is easily eliminated by adjustment. It takes a little practice to learn how to compensate for the automatic sliding while backing the trailer. I can make that 90 degree turn if required. The Demco is definitely the right hitch for my 27RL and F250 short bed.

I uploaded some pictures showing the bolt and the hitch but they disappeared.

Ken

2011 F250 Crew Cab, SB
    2017 Reflection 27RL
    Last edited by ken2017; 03-20-2018 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Pictures vanished

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken2017 - The clunk I referred to is the head flopping back and forth when not connected. I have read about the clunk issue you mention though... and how to fix with the bolt. No issues with fitment on mine - I used the two thicker shim plates and it dropped right into the pucks. You are definitely correct on a cover for folks without a tonneau. Good info on the rest - I may put some loctite on the capture plate bolts.

Babybober - I have the spray-in liner as well, but couldn't get the latches to catch on either side. I followed the instructions and removed one of the washers and it fits no issue. I suspect that over time I may be able to put the washers back in as the parts wear. I agree that it is a heavy beast. Needed a buddy to load into the bed at work... but was able to manhandle it within the bed by myself, get put together and into the pucks. Confident that I won't be pulling it out by myself though.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken2017 - The clunk I referred to is the head flopping back and forth when not connected. I have read about the clunk issue you mention though... and how to fix with the bolt. No issues with fitment on mine - I used the two thicker shim plates and it dropped right into the pucks. You are definitely correct on a cover for folks without a tonneau. Good info on the rest - I may put some loctite on the capture plate bolts.

Babybober - I have the spray-in liner as well, but couldn't get the latches to catch on either side. I followed the instructions and removed one of the washers and it fits no issue. I suspect that over time I may be able to put the washers back in as the parts wear. I agree that it is a heavy beast. Needed a buddy to load into the bed at work... but was able to manhandle it within the bed by myself, get put together and into the pucks. Confident that I won't be pulling it out by myself though.
    Demco makes a dummy pin that is designed to hook up to a lift. I have a chain hoist i hang in the garage to pull it out/ put it in. That being said Once it is in for the season I don’t pull it unless I have too...
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

head flopping back and forth; maybe the urethane bumper or dampener

Ken2017 - The clunk I referred to is the head flopping back and forth when not connected.
    OK, I see. I haven't noticed the head flopping back and forth when the trailer is not connected. But I've had that flopping noise with other hitches. There is a urethane bumper installed under the pivot head that seems to keep my head leaning to the left when a trailer is not connected, Part 15769. I remember installing it when I assembled the hitch. The manual says that 'dampener' is supposed to keep the head from 'flopping back and forth'. Maybe that urethane bumper is worn or not thick enough to do the job.

You are absolutely right about the weight. That thing is a monster. I installed the hitch with the front end loader and have not wanted to remove it since.

Thanks,
    Ken

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adjusted the mounting plates today. Still waiting to mount them to the hitch after I get the fifth wheel. Will pick up the rig with a friends truck.
    Larry KE4DMG