Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warsw1 View Post
    This has to be a fabricated bunch of BS that someone started just to see what kind of reaction they would get. I personally don't believe a word of it.
    The thread has continued and the OP has responded several times with information that indicates that they were just ignorant first-time buyers and the husband doesn't like to ask questions. Reading the whole thread, I'm inclined to disagree with you.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The thread has continued and the OP has responded several times with information that indicates that they were just ignorant first-time buyers and the husband doesn't like to ask questions. Reading the whole thread, I'm inclined to disagree with you.

Rob
    There is no way a 5th wheel trailer is going to make a full size PU wheelie no matter how much weight you put on it. It might break the springs but not wheelie. The trailer they are talking about isn't even that heavy. This is BS pure and simple.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warsw1 View Post
    There is no way a 5th wheel trailer is going to make a full size PU wheelie no matter how much weight you put on it. It might break the springs but not wheelie. The trailer they are talking about isn't even that heavy. This is BS pure and simple.
    Well, I've been following the other thread along with Rob and while I agree with you that it's very unlikely the truck's front tires actually lifted off the ground I will add my experience.

In 1990 we had been out of camping/RVing for a few years and decided to get back in and found a used 20 ft Komfort Lite bumper pull trailer and bought it. I had a 1988 Jeep Cherokee which seemed a perfect fit. When it came time to pick it up I just dropped a ball in the OEM hitch and off I went. Well, I had to drive 30 miles down from our local mountains, where I bought the trailer, to home and I can tell you it was the scariest drive I've ever taken. The tongue weight, without weight distribution, was crazy and the entire drive down out of the mountains felt like the front wheels were off the ground and the steering was so light I couldn't believe I made it home safely.

The point of my story is that I suspect this lady is speaking more figuratively than literally.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Well, I've been following the other thread along with Rob and while I agree with you that it's very unlikely the truck's front tires actually lifted off the ground I will add my experience.

In 1990 we had been out of camping/RVing for a few years and decided to get back in and found a used 20 ft Komfort Lite bumper pull trailer and bought it. I had a 1988 Jeep Cherokee which seemed a perfect fit. When it came time to pick it up I just dropped a ball in the OEM hitch and off I went. Well, I had to drive 30 miles down from our local mountains, where I bought the trailer, to home and I can tell you it was the scariest drive I've ever taken. The tongue weight, without weight distribution, was crazy and the entire drive down out of the mountains felt like the front wheels were off the ground and the steering was so light I couldn't believe I made it home safely.

The point of my story is that I suspect this lady is speaking more figuratively than literally.
    X2. Been there, done that. Knew what the issue was going into it and purposely completed a very tense tow with flashers and low speed the whole way.
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have driven full size work vans that were so overloaded that it would feel like the front wheels were coming off the road. They weren't but it did make the steering and braking very dangerous.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta ask. Why would anyone make that up? Of course, the woman was scared and probably exaggerating, but we have all seen unsafe drivers towing rigs that are basically out of control. Much of that is ignorance on the part of people who want to be RV'ers but don't take the time to get educated. A good portion of it is ignorant and/or greedy dealers who don't do their job and will say anything to make a sale. Either way, this was a good post because it serves to remind us to keep an eye on our own actions and to help educate newer RV'ers whenever possible. What's wrong with that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post

OK....Now lets talk about what the OP had, not what a totally stupid set-up can do. They had a Wildcat Light Fifth Wheel being pulled by a 2015 F-150 with a AUH. This trailer is maybe a little heavy for the truck they are using but it's really hard to tell. There isn't really enough info on the TV or the trailer and it's actual weights.......but unless they mounted the hitch on the tailgate of the truck (which I doubt) they would not get the reaction they are describing. I still say BS.

Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,

2018 Solitude 375res

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    Gotta ask. Why would anyone make that up? Of course, the woman was scared and probably exaggerating, but we have all seen unsafe drivers towing rigs that are basically out of control. Much of that is ignorance on the part of people who want to be RV'ers but don't take the time to get educated. A good portion of it is ignorant and/or greedy dealers who don't do their job and will say anything to make a sale. Either way, this was a good post because it serves to remind us to keep an eye on our own actions and to help educate newer RV'ers whenever possible. What's wrong with that?
    There is nothing wrong with that. What I am saying is that with the set-up they discribed they would not get the reaction they discribed. This is just a frabracated story to get the reaction that they got. Nothing else.

Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,

2018 Solitude 375res

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The AUH may have something to do with this. See the observations by Johndeerfarmer in this thread https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...=F150+andersen I must admit that I don't know why this would be, because I have accidentally towed (per my earlier post on this thread) with my manual slider hitch in the aft position and did not notice any significant difference in how the truck handled. I do have the HDPP, but the description of this situations says he has air bags. hmmmm

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Someone just joined one of the other RV forums I'm on to post this. I don't know if the wife posted because the husband doesn't do computers or the internet or because he was embarrassed...

"I have a 2015 Ford F150 2.7 eco boost and we bought a Wildcat Light Fifth Wheel. I ask several times over to make sure that we could pull it and were told yes. We just got off the first trip and every time we hit a bump, our truck would wheelie. Someone please help me understand what to do. My husband bought air bags and on the way there had them set at 15 but on way back set to 8. The trip was a scary nightmare and I do not know what to do or how to fix the problem. Someone please help."

Other members asked for weights and specs on the truck and trailer and asked how the hitch was set up. She came back with a dry weight for the trailer and "8,500 for the truck" - not saying what the 8,500 represented. Other forum members are trying to be nice and helpful, but that's hard to do with no information or understanding on the part of the person(s) asking the question. The problem is that we share the road with these folks!

Rob
    We had a Ford 2010 F150 King Ranch with the 5 Liter Triton motor in it. It couldn't tow a 7000 pound travel trailer to save its life. Went through a transmission about every 3rd time we towed. Ford ended up taking it back under lemon law

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast