User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the most frightening posts I've seen...

Someone just joined one of the other RV forums I'm on to post this. I don't know if the wife posted because the husband doesn't do computers or the internet or because he was embarrassed...

"I have a 2015 Ford F150 2.7 eco boost and we bought a Wildcat Light Fifth Wheel. I ask several times over to make sure that we could pull it and were told yes. We just got off the first trip and every time we hit a bump, our truck would wheelie. Someone please help me understand what to do. My husband bought air bags and on the way there had them set at 15 but on way back set to 8. The trip was a scary nightmare and I do not know what to do or how to fix the problem. Someone please help."

Other members asked for weights and specs on the truck and trailer and asked how the hitch was set up. She came back with a dry weight for the trailer and "8,500 for the truck" - not saying what the 8,500 represented. Other forum members are trying to be nice and helpful, but that's hard to do with no information or understanding on the part of the person(s) asking the question. The problem is that we share the road with these folks!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should sell the trailer before they kill someone on the road. Seriously, I would recommend taking the truck and trailer back to the RV dealer to see if they can provide any assistance on safely hooking up and towing the trailer.
    Tim
    2014 Solitude 369RL #1195
    2015 Ford F-350 Lariat Long Bed DRW
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Islander
    1990 Jeep Wrangler Laredo
    1982 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having flash backs to my first hour with the TT leaving the dealer back in December. I drove right back after 30 minutes of heading south with no stability and said it is either set up wrong or I am going to sell this thing back to you guys because this isn't right. Lucky for me though I knew my numbers so I was 99.9% sure it was just set up wrong.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second Chance Rob - A 2.7L Ecoboost would hardly be the powertrain of choice for towing a 5th wheel. They probably don't have the max tow and definitely not the heavy payload option with this engine. Still . . . this seems like a dramatic description of what is going on. Any 5th wheel hitch is going to get the pin more-or-less over the rear axle. I have seen F150s hauling way more than they should . . . but have never seen anything like what is described here. Hard to help, without a picture or some more data . . .

(another) Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a quick look at the FR site, the Wildcat Lite is similar to the Reflection line. The largest has a GVW of a bit under 14K lbs. The unloaded pin weight is 1538, so the loaded pin weight is probably 3000-3500 lbs (at worst). That's probably over the 2.7's payload, esp. if no Max Tow package, but not outrageous.

I suspect something is installed or connected wrong. The two things that come to mind are the FW hitch installed behind the axle, or towing with a slider hitch still in the extended position.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok , let’s assume since they have no clue they didn’t special order a HDPP since they normally are not dealer stocked items and if by chance one was found it would be with a 3.6 or 5L engine. Let’s “hope” they have the 3.73 rear end but I doubt that too. Next let’s assume a middle of the road crew cab, no a long body regular cab work truck. You have MAX 8k towing and 1700 payload if you are lucky.

I mean no disrespect but let’s hope they get off the road before anyone of us runs across these individuals .... there is no possible way they ( or anyone in their path) are safe. Rob, even you can’t convince me that this 150 will cut it....

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbara & Dave View Post
    The two things that come to mind are the FW hitch installed behind the axle, or towing with a slider hitch still in the extended position.

Dave
    One of my rookie mistakes with our 303 and F150 was to forget to move the manual slider hitch forward to the tow position before towing. So, we travelled about 50 miles that day with the pin 10" behind the axle. I don't recall there being any noticeable difference in how the truck handled . . . although there must have been some. Thinking about this a while later, I measured the tailgate height with the pin over the axle and also in maneuver position. There is less than 1/2" difference in truck rear ride height. There is really something odd about that original story.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Dave. A couple of years ago we were at a campground in Kerrville and a young couple pulled in. I could see that they were "newbies" so I walked over to assist. He told me that this was the first time and the last time that they would ever pull a trailer. He was seriously thinking of just leaving it at the campground and having the dealer come get it. The ride was horrible and he felt like he had no control of the TV or TT. It turned out that when they hooked up the 5th wheel at the dealer they did not reset the slider, so it was in the back position. Anyway a couple of 5th wheel owners came over and gave him - and me - a bit of good advise and instruction. Saw them a couple of months later and they were happy campers.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Rolling Along
    Now-Oct 2018: Prince William Forest Park, NPS, Triangle VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure hope we get a follow up on this one.

Dave

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    2015 Reflection 337RLS, #931, Built 6/14, Purchased New 1/15
    2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW CC, 8' Bed, 4WD, Z71, Duramax/Allison
    11,600 GVW, 3,739 Payload, 16.1 mpg for first 21,000 miles
    Reese Elite 18K Hitch with underbed rails
    Amateur Radio KQ3T (ex-WN8PXF, WA8PXF, N3CKQ)
    Felines: Butter (Abyssinian), Cinnamon (Burmese, R.I.P.), and Harry (Orange Tiger Cat, Rescued from Sutton Lake CG, WV)
    2018: Visitor Center Volunteer at Prince William Forest Park, Triangle VA, June thru October
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to the story, they are towing with a shortbed and an AUH. The weight will be behind the axle making an overloaded situation worse. I doubt the truck is actually leaving the ground, but I imagine the suspension is doing some moving.

I feel sympathy for them because they are in over their heads, but the dealer who set them up should be ashamed. I just can't see how dealers don't face horrible liability letting somebody drive off the lot with a rig that isn't safe.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast