Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Signs of Hot Water Tank Leaking

The Honeywell Water Alarm in my Reflection 337 recently sounded an alert. Upon inspection I found the area on one side of the hot water heater to be somewhat damp but what caught my attention (once I got beyond the metal shavings and wood dust) were the water marks on the wall. (See photo) To me, this would indicate the area has been damp for sometime, and why it had not triggered the alarm before now but more importantly where the water could be originating. The connections on the back of the water heater do not appear to be leaking. If I had to venture a guess it would appear to be somewhere towards the front half of the water heater. I have never had the pleasure of removing a water heater before so I am not certain where the leak could possibly be coming from. Any suggestions?

My apologies for the poor quality of the photo. As you know it's some tight down there.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0141.jpg  
    Annie & Tom - Sugar Land, TX
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 F250 King Ranch 4x4

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if it could be the pressure relief valve that will let off some water occasionally. Mine is on the outside of the water heater and any water drains down the side. I haven’t actually seen my current trailer releasing any yet.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pressure relief drip is definitely worth checking. Also, maybe just rain water getting in around the outside door flange. A water heater leak is usually going to be a lot more water than that.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My pressure relief valve is on the outside as well. If it were to drip I don't know how it would get back inside, I think it would go down the side of the trailer as you mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    I wonder if it could be the pressure relief valve that will let off some water occasionally. Mine is on the outside of the water heater and any water drains down the side. I haven’t actually seen my current trailer releasing any yet.
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 F250 King Ranch 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    The pressure relief drip is definitely worth checking. Also, maybe just rain water getting in around the outside door flange. A water heater leak is usually going to be a lot more water than that.

Rob
    Rob - Steve7 also mentioned the pressure relief value but not sure I understand how the water would migrate back inside. I would think it would go down the side of the trailer.
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 F250 King Ranch 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie & Tom View Post
    Rob - Steve7 also mentioned the pressure relief value but not sure I understand how the water would migrate back inside. I would think it would go down the side of the trailer.
    Annie & Tom - You are absolutely right . . . I don’t know how it would migrate back in either. From the picture, it just looks like too little water to be a tank or fitting leak. I would check the weather seal around the outside flange.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Annie & Tom - Just thought of something else . . . the black tank flush vacuum break valve is up above this location. These are known to be less than reliable. There should be an access panel behind the shower to check this. Any chance that this is the source of the water ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob - I will take another look at the weather seal when I can get back out to the trailer. Like you, I am somewhat miffed at the amount of water I am seeing. I'll check the seal and keep and eye on it.
    Thanks for your input.

Tom
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 F250 King Ranch 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Annie & Tom - Just thought of something else . . . the black tank flush vacuum break valve is up above this location. These are known to be less than reliable. There should be an access panel behind the shower to check this. Any chance that this is the source of the water ?

Rob
    Rob - I have not checked this valve but what you have describe sounds more plausible than the hot water tank relief valve. I must admit I am not at all familiar with the black tank flush vacuum break valve. I will need to do some research before looking into this but I think you may be on to something here.

Tom
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 F250 King Ranch 4x4

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One other thing to check Annie & Tom. If you have a cold water line higher up than the picture shows, it could be condensation forming and dripping down to the floor. It's set off my water alarm a couple of times when condensation started dripping.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast