Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

303 RLS and 2009 Chevy 2500 Duramax Shortbed

I am just about ready to order the B&W turnover ball and the Anderson Ultimate 2 Hitch.

For those towing a 303 with a Duramax, what height setup are you using the anderson hitch?

With the red funnel adapter, is the king pin forward or in the back?

Thanks

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a Chevy, but maybe my info can help you plan.

I tow a 303 with a 14 SB CC F250 FX4 with an AUH connected to a B&W Turnover Ball.

First data point is I'm really happy with the whole setup.

Second point is I have 2014 303 which may be a bit lower at the pin than yours.

When I went to pick up the trailer, I had the ball at the highest position and the ball socket in front of the king pin. I was a bit nervous about clearances thinking cab clearance would be my biggest problem, and I had to pull out onto a very winding, hilly, narrow 2-lane for a mile, then got onto a busy 4-lane so I was hoping I'd made the best "safe" choice since there was little option to stop and make a change until I was 6 miles or so down the road. It towed fine, but it wasn't optimal. Once I got home where I could look more closely and do some slow speed turning in my front field, I could see that the ball socket forward position wasn't best since it put the bottom of the pin box close to the bed sides when turning sharply. When I flipped it around, I had much more clearance on the sides, and was still able to turn 90 degrees. The extra side clearance also made it possible to drop the ball to the middle position for more level towing. I believe I'm still about 3 or 4" pin high when towing, though I haven't had a good opportunity to park it on a flat slab to look and measure more closely.

I still have the notes I made with height and distance measurements from the gooseneck ball to the cab, tailgate and sides, and I'll try to remember to post them later so you can compare your dimensions.

BTW, I recommend adding a mat under the hitch. I used this one https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...n?cm_vc=-10005. I cut a hole to give access to the gooseneck ball and safety chain ties in it. The hitch made marks in the factory bed liner on my truck, but they went away after sitting in the sun. I added the mat as insurance against permanent marks.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks .. appreciate the information!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, here are my dimensions:

Bed Rail height from ground at the sides even with the B&W: 55”
    Top of Tailgate:56”
    Bed rail height above bed floor: 19-3/4”
    Center of B&W ball to front of bed: 36”
    Center of B&W ball to tailgate: 46”
    Back of cab is 2” forward of inside front of bed.
    Inside spacing between bed rails: 64-1/2”
    Bed rail to B&W ball center: 32-1/4”

Hope this helps you compare yours.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)